Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just remember this simple rule
The drier / more seasoned the wood
... The longer the burn time and the hotter the burn

Just remember this simple rule
The drier / more seasoned the wood
... The longer the burn time and the hotter the burn
I don't have a moisture meter, but I'm burning some oak that seems to be dry. I don't see any moisture coming out of it when it burns and I don't hear it sizzling.

but since the blower is going nonstop doesn't that cool the fire box down too much?
No, running the blower too high will though. A nice steady low flow of warm air circulating through your house will be the most comfortable too. I'd say SBI set the blower on that speed at the factory because it is optimal under the most conditions, having to change the blower speed should be the exception rather than the rule. Really, the only reason to speed it up would be if you absolutely need it to push air to the far corners of your house.

I must have too much draft. I know its windy out today, but my flue temp doesn't want to go over 250

I must have too much draft. I know its windy out today, but my flue temp doesn't want to go over 250
I will let some of the guys that have had a Tundra installed for a while comment, but I don't think they are running much higher than that normally. If it is making enough heat I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the heat output is poor, then I'd say your wood is not really dry enough. Any secondary burn type of stove like the Tundra will see a HUGE increase in heat output with dry wood, longer burn times too.

I will let some of the guys that have had a Tundra installed for a while comment, but I don't think they are running much higher than that normally. If it is making enough heat I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the heat output is poor, then I'd say your wood is not really dry enough. Any secondary burn type of stove like the Tundra will see a HUGE increase in heat output with dry wood, longer burn times too.
It appears that I'm getting the secondary burn with no problems. So I'm not sure.

No, running the blower too high will though. A nice steady low flow of warm air circulating through your house will be the most comfortable too. I'd say SBI set the blower on that speed at the factory because it is optimal under the most conditions, having to change the blower speed should be the exception rather than the rule. Really, the only reason to speed it up would be if you absolutely need it to push air to the far corners of your house.

I would agree 100% with this ^

Fill me in on how you measure the moisture? Or where I could purchase a moisture tester. Buying a heatmax in a couple weeks and wanna make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowes, HD, Amazon, Harbor Freight, Fleabay, lots of places to get moisture meters.
Without a meter...bang a couple splits together, they should clank like a wooden baseball bat. If they make more of a thud, wet

Thanks for the quick reply. We always just clank the wood together and if they clanked they were good. But to me it sounds like these new drolet stoves need to have good dry wood to get the hottest and longest burn out of em.

Fill me in on how you measure the moisture? Or where I could purchase a moisture tester. Buying a heatmax in a couple weeks and wanna make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

check amazon.com probably the cheapest place to get one.

I think I figured out my problem with why my blower is running nonstop. It appears my cold air return is restricting it. As soon as I take off the back panel the blower shuts off. So I ran it with the back cover off and the blower runs for about 5 minutes and turns off and turns back on like normal.

That'll do it. FYI, cold air returns are normally sized larger than the supply side. Also, any filter will restrict some, but the better the filter, the more the restriction

Back