Is a stihl 038 a good saw and what's it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at the ad it looks like a old stock tecomec piston. it's the very last one they had for sale so I think it's old stock.
anyway it's a $14 Gamble I've already put the saw completely back together I'm not going to use the new circlips I will use the old circlip and the old pin.
I told you I was going to get that one when you said no way on the famertec entire jug n piston set for $25
I'm surprised there's not like a 80cc Big Bore Kit for these

Ebay can be great or a plague, if you found NOS Tecomec from Italy, Kudos. I've never seen circlips like those from Tecomec/Italy...

Have you priced a good circlip from a stihl dealer??? # 9463 650 1200 MRSP = $0.49 And the cheap kits don't even provide those.

So cheap out and reuse the old ones!!!. That's another sawbuck the cheap kit cost/saved you......

I sold a Stihl 038 a few years back for $300 plus the ride. The owner still uses the saw -- a lot. He eventually saved up his dough and bought a 460, but he says he still can't help picking up that 038 and letting her rip.

The first one I got was from a friend, professional logger (1996). His Wife said clean out the shed and get rid of those junk saws!

I came up with: 3 056, one a 056M that just needed a coil (thanks foggysail for the bosch fix!), and a 038 parts carcass, and a 038M that was beat up but.......cleaned out recoil of crap then it worked, cleaned crap in carb then it started. Took off muffler and lo and behold a like new Stilh piston. I stripped it and cleaned, new AF, new 25" B/C. That was ? 22 years ago! Have not put anything into it since except chains, sprockets , and a new AF. It's an ugly well used saw and must have had a OEM rebuild before I got it. It is a go to saw for me. I run 33RS chain and it pulls fine buried in ash, maple, or cherry. Will post a pic when I fix my Nikon.

My 038S--> to 038M conversions run a bit better as they have newer internals, but that old 038M always starts and cuts. I took a peek inside the ex port last year and all still looks great. I have a NOS OEM Stihl A/B piston in reserve, a a few gasket kits. Since I have so many 038 I also stocked up on fuel/impulse lines, carb kits, oil/fuel filters. Also have NOS clutch and oiler.

A good member here, who is not around much anymore ( the other Brad, not Snelling), sent me a huge box of parts, so I have almost everything on hand no need to see a dealer. I need to finish another 038S-->038M conversion. For that I have an Italian tecomec P/C (pictured) and the 038S that I stripped above w/bad crank (pictured). I have cranks, but not the time.

Does anyone know a source of quality 038S (50mm) pistons? I think I have a bunch of cylinders that could be salvaged.

OP heres my 038mag. Made in brazil, has the bing carb.

d3AOjsS.jpg
yUn9hQa.jpg
amz8ezC.jpg

It's been opened up once, new crank bearings, seals, stihl rings and a carb kit. It will cut more wood then I ever will.

Saw like that is worth the money spent on OEM or meteor in my opinion...Its my go to "big saw" and will pull a 25" bar in anything I find. Wont part with this one.

If money is the issue then buy parts as you can, wont take long before you have everything you need and you wont have to shell out all the coin at once.

I have a couple saws here that I'm buying parts here and there, that way it doesnt hurt as much.

Ebay can be great or a plague, if you found NOS Tecomec from Italy, Kudos. I've never seen circlips like those from Tecomec/Italy...

Have you priced a good circlip from a stihl dealer??? # 9463 650 1200 MRSP = $0.49 And the cheap kits don't even provide those.

So cheap out and reuse the old ones!!!. That's another sawbuck the cheap kit cost/saved you......
Show me where to get the circlip without paying $10 shipping for a $0.49 part their idea of a Stihl dealer around here is Ace Hardware

OP heres my 038mag. Made in brazil, has the bing carb.

d3AOjsS.jpg
yUn9hQa.jpg
amz8ezC.jpg

It's been opened up once, new crank bearings, seals, stihl rings and a carb kit. It will cut more wood then I ever will.

Saw like that is worth the money spent on OEM or meteor in my opinion...Its my go to "big saw" and will pull a 25" bar in anything I find. Wont part with this one.

If money is the issue then buy parts as you can, wont take long before you have everything you need and you wont have to shell out all the coin at once.

I have a couple saws here that I'm buying parts here and there, that way it doesnt hurt as much.
That thing is clean enough to eat off of that is nice

Ace hardware sells Stihl but no parts even though they do factory service

I have two ace/stihl dealers nearby, I can call either one and order parts, then pick them up in a few days if they are not in stock. They are not great for parts in stock or selection of saws in stock. It also helps if you give them the stihl part # rather then have them try to look them up. I just got parts for my BR400 leaf blower from one last week

I have two ace/stihl dealers nearby, I can call either one and order parts, then pick them up in a few days if they are not in stock. They are not great for parts in stock or selection of saws in stock. It also helps if you give them the stihl part # rather then have them try to look them up. I just got parts for my BR400 leaf blower from one last week
the repair guy told me they don't sell parts! I told him what I was working on and what I needed. So I don't think he misunderstood me.
I found a saw place in Prescott called Able Saw. Will call them in min or stop by on my way to cut. There's a husky dealer down the road from me go figure. Nice guy but no saws in stock and suggested a 450

Ace hardware on main Street is my closest dealer. They'll sell parts happily. They'll make you pay shipping if you're in a hurry, but if you can wait until their next order you don't pay shipping.

the repair guy told me they don't sell parts! I told him what I was working on and what I needed. So I don't think he misunderstood me.
I found a saw place in Prescott called Able Saw. Will call them in min or stop by on my way to cut. There's a husky dealer down the road from me go figure. Nice guy but no saws in stock and suggested a 450

Call the stihl regional rep and tell them about your experiences.

I called able saw in Prescott and they have two of the circlip in stock $0.33 a piece .I'm going to pick those up and see what else they may have instock on my way to cutting.
I'm surprised so cheap. Or is Chinese

Call the stihl regional rep and tell them about your experiences.
It's too bad because the ace is across the street from the Husky guy and they're both a lot closer to my house this other places a bit away but it is near where I cut at I'm taking this nasty 87 CC Mac 250 Super with me today just for fun.
So my buddy who is a tree climber says you need to Port that thing.
He was talking about that funny little tab sticking out in the intake port I figure it's there to stabilize the ring but let's talk about porting here while we got this going.
I'm sure there's some major benefits porting this saw. I'm going to do the base gasket delete as well just put a little bit of our RTV on there and call it good so that should increase the compression hair.
I know it doesn't rev as high as the 044. Is the 044 that much better?

It's too bad because the ace is across the street from the Husky guy and they're both a lot closer to my house this other places a bit away but it is near where I cut at I'm taking this nasty 87 CC Mac 250 Super with me today just for fun.
So my buddy who is a tree climber says you need to Port that thing.
He was talking about that funny little tab sticking out in the intake port I figure it's there to stabilize the ring but let's talk about porting here while we got this going.
I'm sure there's some major benefits porting this saw. I'm going to do the base gasket delete as well just put a little bit of our RTV on there and call it good so that should increase the compression hair.
I know it doesn't rev as high as the 044. Is the 044 that much better?

The tab is a ring support leave it alone. Check squish for base gasket delete, use proper sealer as above.

044 is lighter with a bit better AF. Revs higher but not as much grunt/torque. Nice saws but not built to last as well as the 038 IMHO.

If you want to hotrod the saw, Mastermind did a thread a while back on the 038, have a look see. I think if you get the internals well again and do a base gasket delete and maybe open up the muffler a bit you'll be happy without porting. You can get decent gains just drilling out the baffle (not removing) a bit and opening up the outlets to screen size on the dual port mufflers.

The tab is a ring support leave it alone. Check squish for base gasket delete, use proper sealer as above.

044 is lighter with a bit better AF. Revs higher but not as much grunt/torque. Nice saws but not built to last as well as the 038 IMHO.

If you want to hotrod the saw, Mastermind did a thread a while back on the 038, have a look see. I think if you get the internals well again and do a base gasket delete and maybe open up the muffler a bit you'll be happy without porting. You can get decent gains just drilling out the baffle (not removing) a bit and opening up the outlets to screen size on the dual port mufflers.
Base gasket delete difference? Worth it?
I'm not dealing with hondabond. We used to use it at work. I don't care for that crap, over priced.. so what are the other options of sealant. I don't want to have to special order something if I don't need to

Back