Is a stihl 038 a good saw and what's it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered the tecomec piston and caber rings $14.99 flea bay

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180806-021023_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-021023_eBay.jpg
    736.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20180806-020929_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-020929_eBay.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20180806-020949_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-020949_eBay.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 13
Shoulda went meteor.

Reuse the oem pin and clips. Don’t use those Tecomec clips.
I hope this better than famertec ?
Meteor was $60 and didn't have caber rings. So I got this instead. I dont trust the jug so I got this for now. Rather oem stihl .

I hope this better than famertec ?
Meteor was $60 and didn't have caber rings. So I got this instead. I dont trust the jug so I got this for now. Rather oem stihl .
Meteor makes caber rings, every piston comes stock with them. I didn’t know that either, but it’s true-same company.

Tecomec is worlds beyond Farmertech. You will likely be ok.

Usually meteor pistons are sub-$50, closer to $40. The 038M 52mm slug may be becoming a rare bird, I’m not sure.

I just go OEM or Meteor if I can help it. Cheap insurance.

No way to know for sure. Magnum's were made in Germany from 85-97. Brazil plant opened in 73 but I have no idea when they started making 038's. Brazil produced them up until 2003 when they were re-designated MS380.
Is it a good or bad thing? With a 3 something serial its Brazilian

Some just won't listen......

Meteor piston kits should be ~ $45 USD delivered, OEM is $60.49 you pick it up and pay state taxes. That is piston, pin, rings, and clips that won't fall out.

Tecomec? Well used be one of the best when made in ITALY. Total was the USA distributor. I talked with the former Total USA rep, he was disappointed with Tecomec and the fact they now are Chi-Com........ I did a search on the Italian Tecomec and no longer see links to cylinders, pistons, etc. Not sure where you'd find a $15 Tecomec piston kit? Country of origin? If you found an Italian one you did well. If it's a Chi-Com and it pukes a circlip and trashes the Cyl , oh well.....you save $45 sort of

This is a NOS OEM Tecomec P/C assy, from ITALY! Piston pics are NOS OEM Stihl (038S) vs Tecomec (038M). 038S piston is shopworn but NOS OEMpiston comparison.jpg piston comparison 2.jpg piston comparison 3.jpg exhaust.jpg intake.jpg transfers.jpg the jug.jpg 038 P:C assys.png

Here are some measurements I did with NOS Stihl and Tecomec.

Those Italian Tecomec were OEM quality.

Let's see what your $15 got? Piston is marked A/B, that's good, check your skirt clearance any way. Those circlips are JUNK, get OEM and make sure they fit well, put the gap at top or bottom of pin bore.

Some just won't listen......

Meteor piston kits should be ~ $45 USD delivered, OEM is $60.49 you pick it up and pay state taxes. That is piston, pin, rings, and clips that won't fall out.

Tecomec? Well used be one of the best when made in ITALY. Total was the USA distributor. I talked with the former Total USA rep, he was disappointed with Tecomec and the fact they now are Chi-Com........ I did a search on the Italian Tecomec and no longer see links to cylinders, pistons, etc. Not sure where you'd find a $15 Tecomec piston kit? Country of origin? If you found an Italian one you did well. If it's a Chi-Com and it pukes a circlip and trashes the Cyl , oh well.....you save $45 sort of

This is a NOS OEM Tecomec P/C assy, from ITALY! Piston pics are NOS OEM Stihl (038S) vs Tecomec (038M). 038S piston is shopworn but NOS OEMView attachment 667255 View attachment 667256 View attachment 667257 View attachment 667258 View attachment 667259 View attachment 667260 View attachment 667261 View attachment 667262

Here are some measurements I did with NOS Stihl and Tecomec.

Those Italian Tecomec were OEM quality.

Let's see what your $15 got? Piston is marked A/B, that's good, check your skirt clearance any way. Those circlips are JUNK, get OEM and make sure they fit well, put the gap at top or bottom of pin bore.
I just ordered off Ebay. I sell on Ebay so easit's easier. I saw a really old looking oem for sale and the meteor for like 60
I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this side when I think the jug is bad anyway so I'll put a cheap piston in it and see what happens and then if that doesn't last or work then I'll go and get the entire assembly.
like I said I don't trust this cylinder.
I've never done one of these before but I wouldn't want one like this in a car.
But I suspect that it's better than using a Chinese one I just want to get this saw going and see if I like it or not I can always experiment with this saw it makes a good basis for a learning point realistically I think I want a 044

By the way guys it has a Bing carb.
Put the saw all back together for now. Easier than losing stuff with my other projects while I wait on parts

Attachments

• 20180805_224828.jpg
    20180805_224828.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180805_224835.jpg
    20180805_224835.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180805_224831.jpg
    20180805_224831.jpg
    957.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180805_234102.jpg
    20180805_234102.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
I could have bought this beauty

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180806-133624_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180806-133624_eBay.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 13
I just ordered off Ebay. I sell on Ebay so easit's easier. I saw a really old looking oem for sale and the meteor for like 60
I don't want to spend a bunch of money on this side when I think the jug is bad anyway so I'll put a cheap piston in it and see what happens and then if that doesn't last or work then I'll go and get the entire assembly.
like I said I don't trust this cylinder.
I've never done one of these before but I wouldn't want one like this in a car.
But I suspect that it's better than using a Chinese one I just want to get this saw going and see if I like it or not I can always experiment with this saw it makes a good basis for a learning point realistically I think I want a 044

So so you saved $30-45. But what is YOUR TIME worth? If that cheapo piston spits a clip you won't have a OEM cylinder anymore, whats that worth? Then you will be back to step 1 and need more parts........and MORE TIME spent.

Ever hear of pissing into the wind? Good luck.

P.S. At this point I'll just suggest a OEM P/C at $240. If the rest of the saw is right it will cut more wood than you ever will.

So so you saved $30-45. But what is YOUR TIME worth? If that cheapo piston spits a clip you won't have a OEM cylinder anymore, whats that worth? Then you will be back to step 1 and need more parts........and MORE TIME spent.

Ever hear of pissing into the wind? Good luck.
looking at the ad it looks like a old stock tecomec piston. it's the very last one they had for sale so I think it's old stock.
anyway it's a $14 Gamble I've already put the saw completely back together I'm not going to use the new circlips I will use the old circlip and the old pin.
I told you I was going to get that one when you said no way on the famertec entire jug n piston set for $25
I'm surprised there's not like a 80cc Big Bore Kit for these

Back