Is a stihl 038 a good saw and what's it worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be I am, because that's how I figured it out:numberone:
Okay so what's your opinion on deleting the base gasket does it do anything or not really I just wanted a couple opinions and then I'll go read up on it that's how I do this I asked people's opinions and then I do research and I make my own decision based upon both I'd likeI'd like to hear the mad scientist chime in on this one

Okay so what's your opinion on deleting the base gasket does it do anything or not really I just wanted a couple opinions and then I'll go read up on it that's how I do this I asked people's opinions and then I do research and I make my own decision based upon both I'd likeI'd like to hear the mad scientist chime in on this one
It improves performance, and I use Yamabond. But I also run some Husqvarnas:eek::hi:

It increases the compression ratio, same effect most any 2- or 4- stroke engine, google on....

It increases the compression ratio, same effect most any 2- or 4- stroke engine, google on....
The gaskets not very thick so I'm wondering how much of a difference it would really make without shaving the bottom of the cylinder

It's kind of like I put a set of Gibson headers on my Chevy truck with a 350 and you were to ask me what kind of difference do I think it made I would say hardly noticeable and that could equate to anywhere from 5 to 20 horsepower I was just hearing a lot of people talking about doing it and I haven't heard anybody raving about the results

Not sure what saw you are referring to, but deleting the base gasket can help in several ways. Always check squish before + after. Measured squish usually only changes about .016 or .017 even though the gaskets are touted as .020.

1) Increased compression and tighter squish band (improves combustion)
2) Longer power stroke (the Exhaust port opening is now lower)
3) Increased intake port opening (since it opens from the bottom, it now opens sooner)

It may not benefit every saw, but is sure helps a lot of them.

Not sure what saw you are referring to, but deleting the base gasket can help in several ways. Always check squish before + after. Measured squish usually only changes about .016 or .017 even though the gaskets are touted as .020.

1) Increased compression and tighter squish band (improves combustion)
2) Longer power stroke (the Exhaust port opening is now lower)
3) Increased intake port opening (since it opens from the bottom, it now opens sooner)

It may not benefit every saw, but is sure helps a lot of them.
Thanks mike. These fellers didnt wanna explain it I guess. Haha anyways it's on a 038 magnum. I appreciate the great explanation. This is what I was asking. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back