is an extra 5cc's worth paying $250 more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeminator

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
the STIHL 200T is like 35cc and priced over $500.
the ECHO (climber) and STIHL 192(?) are like 30cc to 32cc's, but less than $250.
why are people still paying for the 200T's when they can get the others for half price?

People are buying the MS200T because its got a reputation as the best climbing saw EVER made. I dont understand it either. my belief is use what you feel comfortable with.

i'm under the impression they are buying the 200T because it's popular. kind of like a brand name saw...ie. GUCCI or CHANEL or whatever.

but my thinking is that it's still the same power. except, you can buy 2 saws for the price of one if you want to chose something other than the 200T. there's even a STIHL saw that is 2 lbs lighter than the 200T and almost half the price. i don't get it.

Its not the same power!!

Go buy the echo or the 192, use it for a few months, then run an 200.
There is a huge difference in power.

Personally, for climbing I wouldnt consider anything less, the extra money it costs is well worth it, but you'll never know....

....it seems your sold on a cheaper/ weaker saw

TreeCo said:
I like my 200t but I've never use the husky top handle climbing saws.

Mike did you ever get a rear handle ms200?

I dont wanna start a ford / chevy war, but,

Ive had 3 husky top handles 2 335's and 1 338, they were (are) all pieces of ****. And because they are made of such brittle plastic, they dont even work well for wheel chocks.

Actually I think the husky top handles have the best ergonomics and are the sleekest looking, too bad they arent better built.

The 192's are alright if you are just starting out and don't have the money to drop on a 200T. However if you run the 192 for a few days and then get to run a 200T it's like night and day. The speed, the design, the tanks, the durability, the power, etc. etc. it's just a far superior saw.

TreeCo said:
I like my 200t but I've never use the husky top handle climbing saws.

Mike did you ever get a rear handle ms200?
I did play with one, but we've been running the Husky 336. There have been real nice tools. They will soon be selling the 339 here and I'll definitely be getting one.
The plastic is brittle, so don't drive over them with your truck like tophopper does.

treeman82 said:
The 192's are alright if you are just starting out and don't have the money to drop on a 200T. However if you run the 192 for a few days and then get to run a 200T it's like night and day. The speed, the design, the tanks, the durability, the power, etc. etc. it's just a far superior saw.

I've had to use a 192 for the past couple of days and even worse than slower speed, etc than the 200 is the difference between the OFF buttons. I'm so used to turning my 200 OFF quickly and swiftly, yet that 192 requires a bit more effort just to turn the stupid thing off. Button is shaped different, smaller and maybe a slightly different angle. Obviously designed by someone who never had to do did tip-ties.

saw$

treeminator said:
the ECHO (climber) and STIHL 192(?) are like 30cc to 32cc's, but less than $250.
why are people still paying for the 200T's when they can get the others for half price?

It's not hard to understand if you use saws/tools every day. A craftsman/pro wants good tools. A homeowner is happy with a tool that works for this one job then he's done with it till next time, a week/month/year later. It's not even about a couple of cc's difference. It's about reliable preformance. What do you use your saw for and how often do you use it?

treeminator said:
i guess the easy way to explain it is well if i have to explain it you wouldnt undrestand it anyway

Lawn Masters said:
People are buying the MS200T because its got a reputation as the best climbing saw EVER made. I dont understand it either. my belief is use what you feel comfortable with.
yes it is

treeminator said:
i'm under the impression they are buying the 200T because it's popular. kind of like a brand name saw...ie. GUCCI or CHANEL or whatever.

but my thinking is that it's still the same power. except, you can buy 2 saws for the price of one if you want to chose something other than the 200T. there's even a STIHL saw that is 2 lbs lighter than the 200T and almost half the price. i don't get it.
oh yea its a a fashionably thing, sister go file your nails we'll be right here filing the rakers down c-ya

jmack said:
oh yea its a a fashionably thing, sister go file your nails we'll be right here filing the rakers down c-ya

it sounds like it is a fashionable "fad" thing. let's face it guys, horsepower is horsepower and cc's are cc's. the only difference is maybe the plastic housing. otherwise, it's still the same power (mathematically and mechanically). it's not as complex as a 4 cyl. car vs. 4 cyl. truck where the gearing ratios are different when connected through the transmission and all.

today i used a Craftsman 18" 40cc gas chainsaw for $150. that's 5cc's MORE than the $500+ STIHL. it's all brand naming and clever marketing on STIHL's part. the executives at STIHL are laughing at everyone. who do you think pays for all their sawing competitions, sponsorships, big trade show booths, and dealerships? it's all added to the saws cost.

the craftsman cut through a log like butter. i took me the same amount of time as when i use my STIHL ms440. go figure. i feel like i spent $750 on the 440 and all i really did was help pay for STIHL's next ad campaign or NASCAR sponsorship.

TreeCo said:
That Craftsman has your name on it!

Good decision.

Does Craftsman make climbing ropes?

laugh it up, but it's a mechanical FACT...it has more power at 1/4 the price. i can have a whole crew using brand new chainsaws with more power than one 200T.

tophopper said:
the 192's DO make good wheel chocks

Dang, i always said they didn't even make good wheel chox or boat anchors; i guess i stand corrected!

Depends on what ya need; how light, well balanced, feel, vibration, repairable in modules, parts, repair men etc. If you work it right the speed of seperation with 200 can give more powerful throw force; to give more useable and sometimes safer strategies of control.

i like 200/020; know what i can werk on and have several for parts; switching would be giving up a lot even in this departmeant.

treeminator said:
it sounds like it is a fashionable "fad" thing. let's face it guys, horsepower is horsepower and cc's are cc's. the only difference is maybe the plastic housing. otherwise, it's still the same power (mathematically and mechanically). it's not as complex as a 4 cyl. car vs. 4 cyl. truck where the gearing ratios are different when connected through the transmission and all.

today i used a Craftsman 18" 40cc gas chainsaw for $150. that's 5cc's MORE than the $500+ STIHL. it's all brand naming and clever marketing on STIHL's part. the executives at STIHL are laughing at everyone. who do you think pays for all their sawing competitions, sponsorships, big trade show booths, and dealerships? it's all added to the saws cost.

the craftsman cut through a log like butter. i took me the same amount of time as when i use my STIHL ms440. go figure. i feel like i spent $750 on the 440 and all i really did was help pay for STIHL's next ad campaign or NASCAR sponsorship.

Of all the arguments around here, never thought there'd be an extended pissing match regarding Stihl versus Craftsman saws. Maybe if you kept your 44 out of the dirt, you could make better comparisons.

If we're all just suckered by Stihl's marketing dept then we're all in trouble because there must all sorts of other things we're wrong about.

the craftsman cut through a log like butter. i took me the same amount of time as when i use my STIHL ms440. go figure. i feel like i spent $750 on the 440 and all i really did was help pay for STIHL's next ad campaign or NASCAR sponsorship.[/QUOTE]

yeah but the big difference will be after five years you will probably have bought four or five cratsmans and the 440 will still be going strong

Back