is an extra 5cc's worth paying $250 more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why this guy even asked the question. He knows what he really wants, a crapsman, and just wanted to start something. I have used every saw in question here, even the Wild Thing, and here is my take on saws. The Craftsman and Poulan are homeowner saws period, they are not meant to be run every day and will not last as long. Added to this is there lack of power from cheaper metals, carbs (yes the carb on a 2 cycle can make a big difference), and overall engine design. Next, the Echo's are a good middle of the road saw but really don't have the power of a good pro-saw. Bury the tip into oak with an Echo and you have to be really soft handed but a 200T is more forgiving. The Husky's and Stihls are pro-saws (not talking about homeowner line which is more like Echo) and you can feel it both in power and ergonomics. I prefer the Stihl climbing saws, feel there is more power to play with, and Husky ground saws, feel there is more power band and grunt. I say get the best you can afford so it will last and if you get good chain it will take a lot for a skilled operator to dull it. Just MHO, as wrong as it may be.
P.S. Husky vs. Stihl is like Chevy vs Ford, it all depends on what you like.

Newfie said:
I think I'm gonna incorporate an idea into my business plan, although I should run it by:greenchainsaw: treeminaturd first.

How about I sell all of my gas saws and just buy a couple cheap electric ones. I'll probably need a couple thousand feet of extension cords to do lot clearing but I'll have lots of cake after selling my overpriced Huskies (I'm sure glad I didn't buy Stihls and get screwed even more). I could plug into a neighbors without them knowing and really start improving my bottom line.

that's a great idea, but i found out it's not practical. i've already tried it. although it's much more affordable, you tend to get the cords wrapped up when the branches fall to the ground. most of the time they get pinned under a log.

we had 3 climbers with electric saws working on take downs and one groundsmen "untangling" the cords the whole time. saved a bunch of money, but the hassles made us switch to gas powered.

Pilsnaman said:
I don't understand why this guy even asked the question. He knows what he really wants, a crapsman, and just wanted to start something. I have used every saw in question here, even the Wild Thing, and here is my take on saws. The Craftsman and Poulan are homeowner saws period, they are not meant to be run every day and will not last as long. Added to this is there lack of power from cheaper metals, carbs (yes the carb on a 2 cycle can make a big difference), and overall engine design. Next, the Echo's are a good middle of the road saw but really don't have the power of a good pro-saw. Bury the tip into oak with an Echo and you have to be really soft handed but a 200T is more forgiving. The Husky's and Stihls are pro-saws (not talking about homeowner line which is more like Echo) and you can feel it both in power and ergonomics. I prefer the Stihl climbing saws, feel there is more power to play with, and Husky ground saws, feel there is more power band and grunt. I say get the best you can afford so it will last and if you get good chain it will take a lot for a skilled operator to dull it. Just MHO, as wrong as it may be.
P.S. Husky vs. Stihl is like Chevy vs Ford, it all depends on what you like.

did they actually stop working on you? i mean did you actually use them and run them into the ground?

i'm finding that most people have a herd mentality and are simply saying they last longer and all. how do they really know this unless ran both saws for the same amount of hours. usually this isn't the case because most of us don't buy several types of the same saw.

Pilsnaman said:
I don't understand why this guy even asked the question.

Because he is a troll or a moron. I suspect a troll because we know most saw doofuses don't refer to cc's when buying a saw but "blade" length.

Or maybe he just wants us to know what a business genius he is.

You know this guy sounds like Forrest with his "business plan" and profit margins... how the "$10 palms" treatin' you forrest???:clap:

I bought a 200T and the 191 or 192??? on the same day last year... I was happy with the performance of both saws for the monney... I haven't even thought of starting an old echo since then. And will never buy another...

Big removals... that 200 pays for it\\self over and over with all the time and energy saved making big cuts.... I put a black strap on the 200 and a pink strap on the 192.... The pink strap stays on the truck most days...

My wife ran an echo for a year and we spent a lot of time keeping it in tune. I could also look at the pallet of non-working saws we had in the work bay...80% of the saws were echo's. It was very uncommon for a stihl or husky to require more then a new spark plug or pull cord. Fact is, you get what you pay for in life and if it seems too good to be true, like a $150 chain saw that is high in quality, then it probably is. Oh, and I have seen a Stihl get dropped from 20 ft and start right up...can't say that would happen with an all plastic saw. Now I say all this owning an Echo but that is my personal saw that I don't use for business every day, just to do work for friends and family. For that it is a great saw.

murphy4trees said:
You know this guy sounds like Forrest with his "business plan" and profit margins... how the "$10 palms" treatin' you forrest???:clap:

Good 'ole Gump.He's probably a sleeze bag attorney by now.Just like his daddy.

C'mon men... this guy IS forrest... look at the subject matter and writing style, (that's how they found the unibomber) and threads he started, and the location, South Fla., and the way he tells us how much we can learn from him... It is all there... This guy is definitely forrest....

C'mon forrest... cop to it.... some of us have really missed you... We'd all like to hear it's you, and how you've been doing... some of us do care.... and we'd get a good laugh from the flamers... so c'mon.... just do it... you can always start a new handle again later...

ps... is rocky still around much these days?

I like my echo! I've literally beat the hell out of it for almost five years and thousands of trees. Pruning, removals, I can't tear it up. Occasionally I wish I had just a little more power, and I'm sure when I try the Stihl I'll like it. I hated Husky, cold blooded ?????. My larger saws are Husky, but I'll never climb with one again(except for larger cuts). I thought I was getting carpal tunnel or something a few years ago, so I switched from echo to Husky for a different starting pull. It did help.

It's gonna be sad reading about Treeminator on the Accident/Injury board. Maybe not for a while 'cause that brown rope hasn't broken yet. If it's one of his crew he can just pick up another at McDs at lunch, less downtime, save money $$. :chainsaw:

RPMs of that 200T are what sold me, right away. I didn't need to watch any Stihl ads, try any other saws, I couldn't ask for anything else in a climbing saw...except those janky tooless caps and I do wonder how long that flimsy looking lanyard clip on the back is going to last. Who cares...groundies where your hardhats...on a daily basis that saw is ultra reliable and just ripsarse!

Treeminiature, have you heard of the old trick of recycling all your trucks motor oil through your chainsaw bar? The savings are even greater if used as your 2-cycle as well but she'll smoke a little.

TreeLady said:
It's gonna be sad reading about Treeminator on the Accident/Injury board. Maybe not for a while 'cause that brown rope hasn't broken yet. If it's one of his crew he can just pick up another at McDs at lunch, less downtime, save money $$. :chainsaw:

From the sounds, one of the crew could pick up a replacement for treeturd at Mcd's and it would be business as usual.

Kill a kid

treeminator said:
you're kidding right? this board could learn from me.
seriously, i operate on a 90%+ NET profit margin with my system. this includes labor and equipment costs. i have more ways to save money other than just the saws and labor.

We'll see how long that profit lasts after a kid dies due to your greed or ends up in a wheelchair and you get sued by their parents-just a matter of time. :deadhorse:

Story of the day :

So it has come to pass that Stihl and E'lux shares have dropped dramatically lately. Reportedly, one smart arborist fella in the US called treeminator has discovered that using pro tools is no longer profitable for a business. Since this is the greatest invention and smartest idea of the latest century, all producers of quality equipment will be facing harsh times, and eventually are bound to disappear.
It seems that AS is under attack by the trolls lately :notrolls2:
What the heck is going on??:help:

Latest posts

Back