is an extra 5cc's worth paying $250 more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeminator said:
it sounds like it is a fashionable "fad" thing. let's face it guys, horsepower is horsepower and cc's are cc's. the only difference is maybe the plastic housing. otherwise, it's still the same power (mathematically and mechanically). it's not as complex as a 4 cyl. car vs. 4 cyl. truck where the gearing ratios are different when connected through the transmission and all.

today i used a Craftsman 18" 40cc gas chainsaw for $150. that's 5cc's MORE than the $500+ STIHL. it's all brand naming and clever marketing on STIHL's part. the executives at STIHL are laughing at everyone. who do you think pays for all their sawing competitions, sponsorships, big trade show booths, and dealerships? it's all added to the saws cost.

the craftsman cut through a log like butter. i took me the same amount of time as when i use my STIHL ms440. go figure. i feel like i spent $750 on the 440 and all i really did was help pay for STIHL's next ad campaign or NASCAR sponsorship.
sounds like ya got your own fad, sthils been here forever

Mike Maas said:
I have run about 5 of the little Echos into the ground, took about two years. I still have all my Stihls and Huskys. I have an 020 with more hours on it than all 5 of my Echos put together.
The big difference is the Echos are "throw away" saws. If an $80 part fails you throw it away. With a pro tool, you fix it.
Don't get me wrong about the Echos, they are good saws. I rate them as kind of in between a pro saw and a homeowner saw. The Stihl and Husky saw models mentioned are pro saws (both Stihl and Husky make homeowner saws).
If you use your saws every day, you'll be disappointed in the Echo. The biggest thing is the power. If you are a weekend warrior, it would probably be a great fit. If you go out to cut for 1/2 hour, once a month, look at the poulans or some other $100-$200 saw.
You can't rate a saw by looking at a spec chart. You need to run them for a while.
I personally like the Huskys because of the power band and the anti-vibration. The throttle response is right on and the saw is so smooth to operate. It's really a pleasure. The newer models are improved, so if you haven't tried on in a while, you might be surprised.
good tip you talking 338-334?

This is one of the funniest threads for a while, I could just see the guy hiring a decent tree guy. When they get to the job and the saws come out....."what the ---- kind of saw is this?" The new guy would be looking at Treeminator wondering what others tricks the tard had in store for him.

tophopper said:
so what other corner cutting, cost saving business tips can you share with us?

ok, well since you asked... here's one of them.

i recruit all my guys from the local fast food places. these guys are used to making minimum wage (like $6.00/hr or so). i offer them $8.00/hr and the chance to work in the fresh air. their eyes light up.
1st day on the job is climbing and cutting. 2nd is droppin' & choppin'. by the 3rd day, they are ready to take their Craftsman and go on their own.

good part is... they get discounts at the local fast food places they work for me.

treeminator said:
by the 3rd day, they are ready to take their Craftsman and go on their own.

good part is... they get discounts at the local fast food places they work for me.

take the craftsman where, to the curbside? :laugh: I could think of a few other places to stick them...

wow, free gease burgers.... :laugh:

treeminator said:
ok, well since you asked... here's one of them.

i recruit all my guys from the local fast food places. these guys are used to making minimum wage (like $6.00/hr or so). i offer them $8.00/hr and the chance to work in the fresh air. their eyes light up.
1st day on the job is climbing and cutting. 2nd is droppin' & choppin'. by the 3rd day, they are ready to take their Craftsman and go on their own.

Yeah right, flipping burgers to climbing all in a couple of days, what a tool, troll whatever full of BS get lost idiot, everyone quit talking to him

clearance said:
This is one of the funniest threads for a while, I could just see the guy hiring a decent tree guy. When they get to the job and the saws come out....."what the ---- kind of saw is this?" The new guy would be looking at Treeminator wondering what others tricks the tard had in store for him.

no you don't understand. i'm way too cheap to hire experienced climbers. i recruit them from minimum wage jobs and train them myself within a couple of days.

the funniest part is THEY truly believe Craftsman is the prefered saw by tree companies. i train them that STIHL is good, but overpriced because of marketing and brainwashing.

i had one guy accidently drop the STIHL 440 and he shrugged it off and said... "it's ok, the craftsman's got it's back covered if it gets damaged".

clearance said:
Yeah right, flipping burgers to climbing all in a couple of days, what a tool, troll whatever full of BS get lost idiot, everyone quit talking to him
Everbody quit talking to the tard, that includes me, doh.

clearance said:
Everbody quit talking to the tard, that includes me, doh.

you're kidding right? this board could learn from me.
seriously, i operate on a 90%+ NET profit margin with my system. this includes labor and equipment costs. i have more ways to save money other than just the saws and labor.

clearance said:

why is this so hard to believe, Clearance??? all climbers started learning from somewhere right? best way for a newbie to learn is throw him up a tree. how else is he expected to learn quickly?

treeminator said:
you're kidding right? this board could learn from me.
seriously, i operate on a 90%+ NET profit margin with my system. this includes labor and equipment costs. i have more ways to save money other than just the saws and labor.

Please tell me more
I am curious

lets all run and get some "brown" rope. I've never heard a tree guy discuss rope with color being the major distinguishing factor. Bet you don't even know its breaking strength, safe working load or anything of real importance.

90% is really good. The sure sign of a hack and a charletan. I bet you are uninsured,don't pay comp on your employees, don't withhold, and don't declare your income.

I'm sure you get your margins closer to 95 - 96% if you found saws and vehicles that were powered with bullsh!t.

Kinda sounds like my electric chainsaw and 24 foot extension ladders I use for takedowns.

Oh, and dont laugh about that part about trenching. I know a guy that uses god knows how many chains to cut the roots around the stumps and then pulls out the stump with a winch.

Newfie said:
lets all run and get some "brown" rope. I've never heard a tree guy discuss rope with color being the major distinguishing factor. Bet you don't even know its breaking strength, safe working load or anything of real importance.

90% is really good. The sure sign of a hack and a charletan. I bet you are uninsured,don't pay comp on your employees, don't withhold, and don't declare your income.

I'm sure you get your margins closer to 95 - 96% if you found saws and vehicles that were powered with bullsh!t.

1) well it's never broken and i use it almost daily.
2) i carry the minimum insurance because i have the customer sign a damage release waiver. (another cost savings idea)
3) i make my climbers pay their own worker's comp.
4) i do declare income.... don't mess with the IRS
5) do i detect a hint of sarcasm with that last comment???

hahaha. not that it matters but, if you F-up and wreck somones property because of your mistakes a signed waver will never hold up in court. Its called negligence and its all on your arse not theirs.

treeminator said:
1) well it's never broken and i use it almost daily.
2) i carry the minimum insurance because i have the customer sign a damage release waiver. (another cost savings idea)
3) i make my climbers pay their own worker's comp.
4) i do declare income.... don't mess with the IRS
5) do i detect a hint of sarcasm with that last comment???

A hint of sarcasm? You really are thick.

Lumberjacked said:
Kinda sounds like my electric chainsaw and 24 foot extension ladders I use for takedowns.

Oh, and dont laugh about that part about trenching. I know a guy that uses god knows how many chains to cut the roots around the stumps and then pulls out the stump with a winch.

I think I'm gonna incorporate an idea into my business plan, although I should run it by:greenchainsaw: treeminaturd first.

How about I sell all of my gas saws and just buy a couple cheap electric ones. I'll probably need a couple thousand feet of extension cords to do lot clearing but I'll have lots of cake after selling my overpriced Huskies (I'm sure glad I didn't buy Stihls and get screwed even more). I could plug into a neighbors without them knowing and really start improving my bottom line.

Latest posts

Back