is it just me or am i just a crippled up whimp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
am i the only one here that really likes 50cc saws or smaller??? granted i like the bigger saws but the very first saw i grab is 50cc or smaller,, i do know if the wood is bigger then 24" or bigger it is really hard for me to handle by myself,, most of my cutting i can do with a smaller saw but its just once in a great while i need anything bigger, i know it does sound stupid but i perfer the smaller saws,, does this sound stupid?? do i need my head examined???

am i the only one here that really likes 50cc saws or smaller??? granted i like the bigger saws but the very first saw i grab is 50cc or smaller,, i do know if the wood is bigger then 24" or bigger it is really hard for me to handle by myself,, most of my cutting i can do with a smaller saw but its just once in a great while i need anything bigger, i know it does sound stupid but i perfer the smaller saws,, does this sound stupid?? do i need my head examined???

Yes!, Or no, well maybe. While I certainly like the small saws I have. I prefer the power of the bigger ones. But you know what, you're the one that's running them, who cares what the rest of us think!

I really enjoy running the bigger ported saws, but lately I find myself going to the 50cc more and more. :rock:

It's nice to have different size saws to fit the wood being cut. Or a couple of each size so refueling or sharpening in the field is minimized.

*****EDIT******

I'll use the smallest saw I can.

Last edited:
I for one am in agreement with you.I usually take my Husky 51 or 445 and leave the larger one at the house. Why?I am able to get a better feeling as to what the saw is doing. Does that make any sense?Also the saws are lighter and easier to maneuver in the hot Texas weather.Not only that but a smaller saw is just plane more fun to operate, Ken

Well obviously with the amount of 50cc and under saws that are sold every year, it isn't just you.
I can still do what needs to be done with my big saws but every year my 34, 38, 40, 42, 46, 50 and 54cc saws get a little dearer to my heart.

In all actuality, I can do 80% or more of my firewood cutting with my 3410, 401/420 and my 5100/346.
But that would only be impressive to my lovely wife.

Mike

You can cut wood with less than a 70cc saw that's ported? That's news to me. :hmm3grin2orange:

i would be willing to bet there is more firewood cut in this country every year with 50cc saws than any other. most people looking for firewood rarely have a real need for anything bigger than 50cc. mine get used 3 to1 over anything bigger.

i really do not enjoy dragging around a 70+cc saw all day,if it is not needed. we clear cut 46 acres this past winter to farm, there were tons of 8"-18" cherry/oak trees in there. most of it was done with the cs500p/ms261/2153 jonny. i think we will have enough firewood for many years to come.

Last edited:
I run the smallest powerhead and bar I can get away with.....And I'm supposed to be some big, bad ass timber faller.....but that's what I do. Anybody who says otherwise...#### 'Em

Crippled up wimp?!?

You can add me to your list! If this makes us nuts or wimpy, it is what it is. My newly muff modded MS261 & MS201(rear handle) see 95% of the wood I cut. I recently sold a Jonsereds920 to buy the 201! I've always liked 50cc. saws, having previously owned a Stihl031 & a Jonsereds490. What can be done with the 201 has made it a lot of fun, & it sure is easier on arthritic wrists.

two saw plan

i started out with only a 2145 or 49,,something like that. every 4 or 5 years i found myself "graduating" to a bigger saw. I thought the '59 was the bomb and some where along the way i'd picked up a lil' cs306(?) limbing saw as well. then came the day i was cutting with a fella running a stihl 440 or something,,71cc or thereabout and the light bulb came on. bought a 2171 and started makin' lil' ones outta big ones MUCH faster than what i previously had. the 2171 was a bit big for me to swing around brushing and limbing so i found myself using the lil' 306 saw much more than i use to and it wasn't nearly fast enough any more. ??? wasn't any doubt, but what i needed a bigger brushing/limbing saw so off to the stealership i go and found a cs400 featuring a 16" bar and chain. i didn't need no stinking 16" B&C so i out fitted the 400 with a 12" B&C and that seems to be "THE" combo for the task at hand.

Now, are you, as had been ask in the original post, a "crippled up whimp", perhaps,,,but, that isn't for me to decide, i don't know ya'!!!.:msp_tongue: i know my elbows hurt me sometimes and my feet get numb with back aches now and again, there are mornings i wake up feeling like a worn out broke down old truck that's been driven by a quaalude chompin', whiskey swillin' hill jack, but i still get out and get at it.

and i like swingin' my lil' saw around as much as i can.;)

i started out with only a 2145 or 49,,something like that. every 4 or 5 years i found myself "graduating" to a bigger saw. I thought the '59 was the bomb and some where along the way i'd picked up a lil' cs306(?) limbing saw as well. then came the day i was cutting with a fella running a stihl 440 or something,,71cc or thereabout and the light bulb came on. bought a 2171 and started makin' lil' ones outta big ones MUCH faster than what i previously had. the 2171 was a bit big for me to swing around brushing and limbing so i found myself using the lil' 306 saw much more than i use to and it wasn't nearly fast enough any more. ??? wasn't any doubt, but what i needed a bigger brushing/limbing saw so off to the stealership i go and found a cs400 featuring a 16" bar and chain. i didn't need no stinking 16" B&C so i out fitted the 400 with a 12" B&C and that seems to be "THE" combo for the task at hand.

Now, are you, as had been ask in the original post, a "crippled up whimp", perhaps,,,but, that isn't for me to decide, i don't know ya'!!!.:msp_tongue: i know my elbows hurt me sometimes and my feet get numb with back aches now and again, there are mornings i wake up feeling like a worn out broke down old truck that's been driven by a quaalude chompin', whiskey swillin' hill jack, but i still get out and get at it.

and i like swingin' my lil' saw around as much as i can.;)

the cs370 and 400 are smoking limbing saws with a 12" b/c,, muddawg rides me all the time about using a 12" b/c,, but they are just plain fun to run that way
guess to me cutting wood needs to be fun,, not a job,, sorry loggers,, i know it is a job for a lot of the guys on here,, but for me it needs to be fun,, and the smaller saws are just a blast to run especially my 346xp

I think it really depends on what saws your running all 50cc saws are not even close to equall as well as the big ones... oh and my 200t with a sharp chain will desrtoy my 372 and 2100 if thier chains are dull

Not a bit. You can cut truck loads of wood fast and easy with a smaller saw. Save big saws for HUGE wood. Hecks windchimes, say you had just one saw..if you had something like a 346xp, would that be a bad thing?

I use one of my Poulan 3400s all the time, real nice all around size. Granted, heavier than more modern 50 cc class saws, but you can throw a 20 on it and it will pull that chain in a hardwood log that diameter. What's not to like?

Double heck, I *love* running my green brick poulan, that's only 38ccs! I bet if one of the pro builders tweaked one, they would really shine and eat some wood, and they weigh like nothing.

Latest posts

Back