Is the 066Mag the king of all chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Had a customer come in today and we got to talking saws and he bluntly said people talk all sorts of saws but only one saw is in a class all by itself, the 066Mag Sthil. He claimed no manufacture has ever built any saw that compares with the reputation of the 066Mag Sthil. Beings this is a saw site whats everyones take on what this customer said to me today. My take is I agree with him. Let her rip.

THALL10326 said:
Had a customer come in today and we got to talking saws and he bluntly said people talk all sorts of saws but only one saw is in a class all by itself, the 066Mag Sthil. He claimed no manufacture has ever built any saw that compares with the reputation of the 066Mag Sthil. Beings this is a saw site whats everyones take on what this customer said to me today. My take is I agree with him. Let her rip.

Have 2-ms660s and they have worked great for me. Wouldent trade the for any other brands..Have used Husky395,Dolmar7900 and still like the 660's .

Last edited:
That's a toughie, but as an owner of one, I'm consistently impressed with it's useability. Either with a long or intermediate bar in timber, or something shorter in firewood, it does the job, and does it well.

That said, I think the 372 would give it a run for it's money in alot of guy's books, just based on capability, power to weight and popularity.

I like em.

It's my benchmark saw.

The replacement for the 288s.

Fred

I would say of all the saws I have used in the woods since 1981 as my full tiime occupation, I would say I chose the 066 over all other saws and have probably bought over 12 of them for that purpose up until 2001. I have an 066 I built this spring and I feel it can't be beaten, but it was a fast saw to begin with when it was stock much to the amazement of others. That ought to create some challenges.:chainsaw:
In spite of this claim though I much prefer the 385 as it is not only lighter but it feels right when using it and has lots of power when modified.
But in terms of greatness if that were the proper adjective, I would have to say the 372 and the 044 are about as good as it gets.
John

THALL10326 said:
Had a customer come in today and we got to talking saws and he bluntly said people talk all sorts of saws but only one saw is in a class all by itself, the 066Mag Sthil. He claimed no manufacture has ever built any saw that compares with the reputation of the 066Mag Sthil.

Being you are a Sthil Representative. I could see why you would agree.
I don't know who the king is other than Elvis. I just Know what works for me.

I Guess the answer would be in your sales. Which saw does Sthil sell the most of and that would be their king.

manual said:
I Guess the answer would be in your sales. Which saw does Sthil sell the most of and that would be their king.

So the King is an MS250 or MS290??? :jawdrop:

And wildebeasts would displace lions...

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:

Chaser

You cannot say displace on this site unless it has the -ment ending. i.e.

No replacement for DISPLACEMENT.

Fred

Gypo Logger said:
I would have to say the 372 and the 044 are about as good as it gets.
John

John, why an 044 and not 046? Does the 46 not return enough for the cost/weight over the 44?

Chaser

Mr. said:
You cannot say displace on this site unless it has the -ment ending. i.e.

No replacement for DISPLACEMENT.

Fred

My apologies!

Lions power/weight ratio is superb when compared to wildebeasts and the the spread is even greater when considering respecive displacement.

This is not dino tested, however...

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:

Chaser

If the MS250 or ms290 is selling the most. It would be Sthil's king. and the rest would be specialty saws. A 066 is a brut like the lion

Right now Maple is the king of hard woods.
Why? You get "Moo Money" per cord.

manual said:
If the MS250 or ms290 is selling the most. It would be Sthil's king. and the rest would be specialty saws. A 066 is a brut like the lion

Right now Maple is the king of hard woods.
Why? You get "Moo Money" per cord.

Methinks THALL wouldn't have offered the 066 if king of sales was his basis of inquiry. Now if he had said Poulan WT...maybe...

Chaser

[QUOTE= Is the 066Mag the king of all chain saws
It would be Sthil's king. and the rest would be specialty saws. An 066 is a brut like the lion

Steve here... I need to chime in b4 I throw up...lol I absolutley love my 066 but it is by no means a brute...

Last edited:
z4lunch said:
Is the 066Mag the king of all chain saws It would be Sthil's king. and the rest would be specialty saws. An 066 is a brut like the lion Steve here... I need to chime in b4 I throw up...lol I absolutley love my 066 but it is by no means a brute...[/QUOTE said:
Those are some nice looking saws.

Ok Ok you caught me.
I was just funning with Thall, Thought maybe he was missing his friend Sap and needed some one to play with.
Anyway Let me tell you a story.
When I moved north to Barton City in 1992. I was living in my Bronco at a friends Farm. Well I got this Job on another farm. and that Farmer needed some trees cut and bucked up cord length.
well I was standing teen feet tall. Thinking to my self "I'm going to be a logger. But the first thing I was going to have to do was get a chainsaw.
When I went back to my friends place I was talking to his dad who was a logger, piece cutting. Cause there was no money in farming. It just so happen that he took some time off to put his 80 Acer garden in. So he said I could use his saw. With a big grin. He pulls out his 066 from the back of his pick up. Gives me a quick lesson at the wood pile. as he was sharping up the chain for me. He said don't worry about breaking it cause its going to out work you. And it did.
That 066 is a work horse nothing I cut slowed it down. the only thing that got slower was me. By the end of that two week job I felt like I was the King.
Untill the farmer that I was working for did not pay me. Well lesson learned.
The 066 is a great saw. If you learn how to out work it.

I love my 066, I use it when ever I'm in big timber (which is quite often). I norrmally run a 24'' bar on it but when the timber gets really big and the ground steep I pull out a 36''. This white pine was just over 4' through where I cut it, it was 17' in circumferance 2' above the ground!:chainsaw:

wagonwheeler said:
John, why an 044 and not 046? Does the 46 not return enough for the cost/weight over the 44?

Chaser
It seems the 046 was not much of a heavy hitter here in the East. I had two and can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about them.
In the West however, they look for any excuse they can to put a 36 bar on the smallest saw possible, so I suppose the 046 is just a big bar enabler.:rock: The extra 6cc doesn't seem to warrant all the hype about the 046 over the classic 044. If stihl had of made that MS650 dead on 80cc, I bet it would have been another classic both in the woods and with the saw racers. The same with the 385, had they knocked off 5cc and made it 80cc it would have seen more fortune, more fame.

John

I agree

I agree with GYPO LOGGER. nOT SURE ABOUT 046 HYPE, AND THE 044 BEING ONE OF THE GREATS, OF ALL TIME. tHEIR IS A 046 CRAZE AROUND HERE, AND A COUPLE OF PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME THAT THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN POWER BETWEEN THE 044, AND 046 THAT THE 46 IS ALOT MORE POWERFUL. I JUST USED A 46 ON SOME BIG DOUG FIR THE OTHER DAY NEVER TOUCHED ONE BEFORE. MY 44 JUST HAS A DUAL PORT FRONT PLATE. 28" BAR. THE 46 SAME BAR STOCK MUFFLER, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE I REALLY NOTICED IS THE 44 DEFINATELY HAS MORE RPM. I HAVE RUN SEVERAL 066S GREAT SAWS BUT SO FAR THE 44 HAS BEEN MY FAVORITE. i LOVE IT BECAUSE IT IS LIGHT REALLY GOOD POWER, AND ALOT OF RPM. I CAN RUN IT ALL DAY NEVER A PROBLEM. I RAN INTO A NEW NEVER FIRED 288XP IN A SHOWROOM REALLY WANTED IT BAD, DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY, AND THE ONLY WAY I COULD HAVE GOTTEN IT WAS TO SELL THE 44 BUT I NEVER COULD I LOVE IT WISH I COULD HAVE HAD BOTH THOUGH.

Latest posts

Back