Is the 066Mag the king of all chain saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coveredinsap said:
I would venture a guess that there are more cheapo Poulan 'Wild Things' in service on any given day in this country than 660's.

That's a good point Sappy, so I'll bite, and give into your troll-laden ways. But there's also more Geo Metros on the road than there are Corvettes for example. So if you want to call the Metro the "King of cars," then you go right ahead. But then again, I'd guess your vote for king of saws would be the Rancher wouldn't it?

Marco said:
Most kings I've read about get the title because of their family lineage, birth order and the ability to write their name in the snow; not their ability to do anything useful.
So, your vote is the 066 isn't the king?

fishhuntcutwood said:
But then again, I'd guess your vote for king of saws would be the Rancher wouldn't it?

Actually, now that you mention it, there probably are a heck of a lot of the Husky 'Rancher' series saws in use on a daily basis...probably more than the 066 series saws.

For the Stihl, I bet their 'Farm Boss' series is the biggest seller/most used daily saw(s). What's that...the 029 series?

coveredinsap said:
Actually, now that you mention it, there probably are a heck of a lot of the Husky 'Rancher' series saws in use on a daily basis...probably more than the 066 series saws.

For the Stihl, I bet their 'Farm Boss' series is the biggest seller/most used daily saw(s). What's that...the 029 series?

The Rancher and 029 explain that not everyone is a professional and do not need a 066.There are more amature / weekend warriors than professionals.

coveredinsap said:
Nobody said anything about 'amateur' or 'professional' as a qualifier...only "the king of all chainsaws".

Well it explains why amatures/weekend warriors like you own 55 ranchers and 029's.

IF Stihl's lineup is all we are talking about, I will cast my vote in the way of the 036/361. A saw that size is what gets stuff done in this neck of the woods. My view on the 029 is they are good for cheapskates, alcoholics and wannabes who want to be able to say they run a Stihl.

Good Gawd, sap, you seem to have learned nary a lesson from your 3 day well deserved break.....

It might be time for you to consider keeping your totally uninformed mouth closed for a while.........

Consider this, you relative chainsaw neophyte......I run about 13 saws on a regular basis. Besides my small saws, which are mostly only muffler modded, all have been woods ported--uhh. except for my old 066 (which came w/ a dual port muffler) Now, sappy, power to weight, for a working pro, and, especially an arborist, IS a very very important consideration---and the 066 may well have the best ever....Also, according to Ken Dunn,a highly respected saw builder, now retired, the 066, in stock form, is one of the most advanced engine designs ever in a saw. Keep in mind that the saw was introduced in 1993...and the first versions were the highest powered....Since then, what advances have been made? Well, Dolmar has two outstanding new designs, one of them, the 7900, is also one of the most powerful stock saws ever, and a great pwr to weight ratio. The new 361 is also a great saw...Now, new EPA restrictions are wreaking havoc on new saw designs, seemignly creating heavier saws with no better performance, just less polluting. And Stihl seems to be having the most problems keeping their perfromance levels high.....Dolmar and Husky are doing a bit better, perhaps. Maybe, but the 575 and 455 Rancher both are dogs, from all reports I've heard.

All that said, you should know that, in recent years, overall, I've preferred Husky saws......

Whatever, they're all good, if they're pro saws.....As well, a consumer has more choices, as he can choose a good cheaper saw, as there are a few good ones, or a pro saw, if he desires.

Now, read this, and listen....you are becoming a major bore, and nuisance...your ranting and raving is no longer even worth reading for a good laugh....

maybe you should stick to the politlcal forums, there, you make some valid, and well articulated points...

Last edited:
Marco said:
IF Stihl's lineup is all we are talking about, I will cast my vote in the way of the 036/361. A saw that size is what gets stuff done in this neck of the woods. My view on the 029 is they are good for cheapskates, alcoholics and wannabes who want to be able to say they run a Stihl.

Gosh, I'm glad I didn't get the 290 and the "cheapskate alcoholic wannabe" tag that goes with it.

I went all out and got a 180... :)

Think I am going to smash my 029 because I wannabe like marco.
Say It's Morning anybody got a beer?

lovetheoutdoors said:
The Rancher and 029 explain that not everyone is a professional and do not need a 066.There are more amature / weekend warriors than professionals.

I'm a weekend , Weekend Warrior

I didn't say 029 owners where all 3. One saw I know of is owned by a cheapskate that howls about everything, second by a friend who's wife left him because of his drinking and the wannabes are for the rest who want the Stihl name and not much else. There are many other saws available for for the same, a tad more and sometimes less money that are built better and have a better power to weight ratio. I did mention that the 036/361 seemed to be Stihl's best saw in this area, their owners don't really have to defend their machine. One thing I have noticed between the two is that a 036/361 owner will say "I have had good luck with Stihl", the 029/290 owner says "I have a Stihl" like it automaticaly qualifies them for something. I guess there is always somebody better than you so that would make me a wannabe, too.

manual said:
Think I am going to smash my 029 because I wannabe like marco.
Say It's Morning anybody got a beer?

LOL! Good one! I think I'll join you in an adult beverage for breakfast...shall we make it a Budweiser, the 'king of beers'? :)

"Milk is for babies, when you grow up you drink beer."

- Arnold Schwarzenegger -

Latest posts

Back