Is this clip wrong for my saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just bought a Buckingham Traverse saddle and a Yale wire core flipline. Bear with me because I'm new to all of this. However, I saw on the saddle box that I should only use a clip with certain dimensions (see photo) and the clip on the flipline doesn't have those characteristics (the keeper spring tension is less than 2.5# as well).

Does this mean I shouldn't use this flipline with this saddle?

If it's not right, I want to return it ASAP, and definitely before I try using it.

Thanks,

Jeff

EDIT: I think I understand why Buckingham says no-go on a clip like that. It looks like it's possible, in a fall or some other weird situation, for the large D-ring on the saddle to twist around, depress the locking lever and allow the clip to open. Sooooo...I guess when I bought the flipline I should have been sure the dimensions of the clip were compatible with the D-rings on the saddle...right?

Last edited:
AH SOOOOO....now I get it! As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "Never mind!"

I was reading the WARNING wrong... :dizzy:

What they're really saying in the WARNING (I think) is:

Use the saddle with EITHER:

a) a locking pole strap snaphook (mine locks so it should be OK)

OR

b) a NON-locking pole strap snaphook with a maximum distance between the rivet and the inside of the hook of 2.35" and with a minimum spring keeper tension of 2.5#

...RIGHT? :popcorn:

Somebody at Buckingham needs to make that language a little clearer (or make me a little less dense)!

OK, I'll shut up now and go read my Climber's Companion and On Rope books for a while. Just wanted to be sure I didn't buy anything I shouldn't have.

Thanks for the reply OTG Boston, BTW.

That is exactly how I read the directions. You should be perfectly safe with the locking safety snap that came with the flipline.

CanyonAngler. You have it figured out. I own some of those non-locking snaps. Current ANSI Z133 standards specify true locking (multiple actions required to open) attachment hardware but tons of "Locking snaps" were sold years ago that simply had an automatic closure feature. On the Saddle D's of the time they were quite secure because of the way they were dimensioned. Currently there are several different style Ds one climbing harnesses. Some of them are completely unsuitable for use with the old non locking snap others are relatively safe so long as the snap is properly dimensioned. Even though the Arborist standards forbid the old style snap for our applications there are lots of old pole straps in use by linemen etc..

Canyon Angler,

It's even a Locking SWIVEL Snap! That's as sweet as it gets. Swivel snaps Rock. :rockn:

Bombproof, keep it clean and every time you hear that >clink< as it snaps onto your D-ring, you'll know it's one less thing you need to worry about.

RedlineIt

I don't know if I'd trust "hearing the click" I like a visual to make sure things are good. It's possible to mistake hitting the D ring for the snap closing.

You're right Brush Hog,

It's more like clink and a tug, all in one motion. Still, it's a great sound.

Swivel snaps rock. :rockn:

RedlineIt

Latest posts

Back