is your chainsaw tough enough to cut concrete ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Here, watch us make a cut for 1 second. Now lets flash to a guy starting the saw. Now another cut for 1 second. How about back to that first clip for 1 second? Now lets zoom in and not show the cut. See how fast things go when filmed like this? Imagine how quickly you'll be getting work done, you just need dramatic music then everything only takes 1 second".

This sort of infomercial may sell gear, but it sure is low on info. How about showing a single cut from start to finish? Or something about chain life? I think this saw probably does have applications... but it's like a previous poster said; mostly for finishing off corners, or special cuts. Not as an every day all day long replacement for a wall saw. People are going to be disapointed.

At least they got one thing right; See how the dust goes straight through the HD2 filter, and into the second filter inside that? Even in fantasy animation land ;-)

Shaun

Seems to me it's value is basically just plunge cuts. I'm sure it would get some love in the tilt-up construction industry.

I guess the cost of a saw like this would be covered with the client's first variance. As soon as they ask for that overlooked window to be cut into a concrete/brick wall... cha-ching!

Last edited:
The chain for that dude probably cost more than any of my saws!

But when you need the right tool,

you need the right tool, except no substitutes.

Seems to me it's value is basically just plunge cuts. I'm sure it would get some love in the tilt-up construction industry.

I guess the cost of a saw like this would be covered with the client's first variance. As soon as they ask for that overlooked window to be cut into a concrete/brick wall... cha-ching!

Plunge cuts and you get nice square corners with out ''over cutting'' due to the round blade on cut off saws. They would also come in handy cutting big Ductile Iron and Concrete Reinforced pipe in a ditch. We install lots and LOTs of Ductile Iron water lines. Any size over 8'' is a PITA to cut in the ditch because you cant roll it around. If your tieing onto existing pipe you can't get it out of the ditch either.....so you have to dig a big hole(usually in the road) about 2 foot on both sides and about 18'' to 2' under the pipe to get it cut in half with a cut off saw. You can also cut the top out of a big pipe and get the saw down inside it to cut it in half,, which we do too,, but its very time consuming and still a PITA.

Id buy one if it would cut faster than these....

[video=youtube;_7nKb7DZYss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_7nKb7DZYss[/video]

Thats just a 8 inch pipe too. A regular cut off saw would have that cut done in less than a minute with a good diamond blade. Don't work so well on 16 and 24'' though lol

this one might be :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/30ErdCiEWfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They will cut rebar, but you had better try to avoid it. Diamond blades are best if kept out of iron.
Penhall does all of our big cutting and they use them for clean corners.

I use a Husky 18 inch floor saw and love it love it love it. Has a 20 hp Honda engine and out cuts the 30 hp Norton machine 3 to 1.

We have lots of cuts made in 8" pre cat panels and a few cuts in 17" (full of metal) poured walls.
Cutting concrete is big money any way you go at it.

Nah,
What you guys want is a thermic lance

[video=youtube;FHksUUKcjxo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHksUUKcjxo&feature=related[/video]

Sure glad those days are behind me

Komatsuvarna, We have tried the diamond chainsaws on several occasions for ductile in the ditch and the results were less than impressive. It is back to a bigger hole and window the top of the larger mains.

On pipe you are still going to see a torch or a cut off with a roller set up. Mostly a torch and a grinder. 24 inch pipe on big jobs is ordered to fit anyway, they can do it cheaper in a shop than on site.
The diamond chain saws are mainly a finishing tool, used after a wall saw or for small plunge cuts, they require a lot of water and make a lot of mess. Dust on our job site is a no no anyway. The problem is that most of this work is done with hydraulic power, so a 2 cycle with less power that requires ventilation isn't going to too far anyway.

I suppose you could use one if it were only going to be needed once in a while on small windows or to clean up after a quick cut saw. Talk about a long day, running one of those for 2 hours would be a long day.

"Here, watch us make a cut for 1 second. Now lets flash to a guy starting the saw. Now another cut for 1 second. How about back to that first clip for 1 second? Now lets zoom in and not show the cut. See how fast things go when filmed like this? Imagine how quickly you'll be getting work done, you just need dramatic music then everything only takes 1 second".

This sort of infomercial may sell gear, but it sure is low on info. How about showing a single cut from start to finish? Or something about chain life? I think this saw probably does have applications... but it's like a previous poster said; mostly for finishing off corners, or special cuts. Not as an every day all day long replacement for a wall saw. People are going to be disapointed.

At least they got one thing right; See how the dust goes straight through the HD2 filter, and into the second filter inside that? Even in fantasy animation land ;-)

Shaun

Once upon a time, someone thought that putting music into an instructional/sales video was a "needed" thing. Its been downhill ever since.
The music ,(any music) is distracting (to me) and a "lost opportunity" to make the most of the short time span that they have with a potential customer.....
BUT to look at it from a positive aspect tho.....at least they arent playing rap music.
A video with that type of music only gets about 3 seconds of my attention.:laugh:

I spoke to one of our concrete cutters, He does it full time for Penhall.

He has never used the Stihl, but has used a few 2 cycle diamond chainsaws, they were red and cost $1700 new.......

He used them most of the time finish and complete cuts and they last about 4 months. He said for the same money for 2 of them he can have an electric saw and extra chains. He also said the power was ok, but nothing compared to the other options and he would never use one to co bar deep in concrete like he does with the hydraulic ICS. I do know that his guy is good about equipment maintenance, and he is about 6'4" 270, and still says the ics hydraulic saw kicks his tail.

my dealer had one of these on demo. i like it. ROCK BOSS, LIKE A BOSS

list is around 2300, diamond chain is 4-500. ouch.

my dealer had one of these on demo. i like it. ROCK BOSS, LIKE A BOSS

list is around 2300, diamond chain is 4-500. ouch.

Is that the new fuel injected cut off saw behind it? I wonder what the + and - is for on it? Water control maybe?:msp_confused:

Back