It's getting to that time! Who's lit?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got down around 43 here today so I lit off my new max caddy for the first time last night .got some bugs to work out but so far so good .. House is toasty at 76 and laying on the couch ,the dog is drifting in and out of conscienceness

Lit my first fire this morning, it was just a little too raw for me and I wanted it nice and toasty for the wife and kids when they come downstairs. I was not ready for it, I have no wood in my garage and my stacks aren't even covered yet, so I was outside in the dark this morning bringing in wet firewood but I'm all good now.

36° here yesterday morning, it was a little chilly in the house early (63°) because we had too many windows open.
Closed up a couple of 'em last night before bed and that made the difference, 69° in here this morning.
Morning temperatures are supposed to bump back up around 50° starting tomorrow morning so we'll need to open 'em back up.
I do plan on puttin' a few storm windows on this week and cover 'em with plastic... but not all of 'em, yet.
No fire here yet... but I do have almost all the wood moved in the house, one more load of oak should do it.
I'll likely take down 2-3 standing-dead elm an toss them in the basement when it cools off a bit more... still to warm for makin' firewood.

The lil stove in the fireplace has been blowin smoke the last couple days. It works really well for this month or two "shoulder season" in the spring and fall to keep us warm and shorten the amount of time that I have to feed the big dog in the basement. Been feedin 'er a bunch of bark and some pine...threw one split of ash in last night before bed so I'd have a shot at some coals this AM (it worked BTW) I cut up a monster Black Oak last year and I have huge slabs of thick bark that I was gonna burn up in the firepit this summer but, didn't get near all of it used up so its now on the menu for the lil stove. Heck the stuff burns as good or better than some soft woods that I've used, awesome secondary burn action too.
Someone mentioned getting the new stove/first burn of the year smell, yup, if she set's a couple weeks that's enough to get a bit of dust buildup and that will cause that familiar smell all over agian.

Been feedin 'er a bunch of bark...
I've been tossin' some 4-year-seasoned oak in the house, it's old enogh I get big slabs of bark fallin' off when it hits sometimes. Last night I filled the firebox with those slabs... figure when it does come time for the fist fire that'll likely be enough. I'd been pickin' it up and haulin' it out... got a big pile out in the wood lot... thinkin' maybe I should retrieve some of the bigger slabs.

I must be gettin' miserly in my old age :laughing:

Burning small heats in the evenings in the hearthstone stove just to take the chill off overnight. Trying to hold off to lighting the outdoor boiler until Nov 1st. The wife will have final say on when it's time to light the boiler. If momma ain't happy, No one is happy.

Rainy and 40's here. The wife turned on the heat pump (geothermal) yesterday and it isn't working, :mad: again. Trying to find someone who knows how to work on it has so far been impossible. In the spring it would work on heat but not A/C. I suspect the TXV is the culprit but the "service technicians" just look at me with a blank stare when I try to explain how it works. Single worst investment I have ever made.

The stove works though. I'm basically burning splitter trash. I haven't even broken in to the shoulder season wood. image.jpg It's easy to overheat the house at these temperatures with the stove. It's hard to only throw a couple handfuls in and walk away.

I guess old tech is sometimes the best. I threw maybe 5# of splitter trash in the stove last night at around 9pm and at 7am this morning there were still enough coals to start another fire. The Englander 30NC may be one of the best investments I ever made.

I get big slabs of bark fallin' off when it hits sometimes. Last night I filled the firebox with those slabs... figure when it does come time for the fist fire that'll likely be enough. I'd been pickin' it up and haulin' it out...

Definitely not worth the trouble of hauling it out once it's in the basement, that's free BTUS you throwin out man! And yes, a firebox full of uber dry Oak bark will be enough to drive the chill outta the house. May hafta cut the air back a bit more that normal to keep 'er from going nuclear on ya...

Got down around 43 here today so I lit off my new max caddy for the first time last night .got some bugs to work out but so far so good .. House is toasty at 76 and laying on the couch ,the dog is drifting in and out of conscienceness
I bet that was driving you nuts, having that beast just sitting there waiting for a first fire all summer...;)

63* in the house now. 52* and cloudy today and 40* tonight. The house will be right cold tomorrow morning but I will not light off. I told the wife the turkey was supposed to be for tonight not last Thursday when it was warm out. I will put on a sweatshirt and maybe we will have a nice oven dinner on sunday. I'm thinking pot roast and gravy. ooh or a pulled pork.

I must be gettin' miserly in my old age :laughing:
The house will be right cold tomorrow morning but I will not light off. I told the wife the turkey was supposed to be for tonight not last Thursday when it was warm out. I will put on a sweatshirt and maybe we will have a nice oven dinner on sunday
I think spidey is not the only one gettin miserly! You 10 years ahead on wood supply, light a fire ya old skin flint! :buttkick:
You keep freezin the wife out y'all might be fightin over that Kuuma in the divorce! (let me know if ya hafta sell it quick like :D)

I turned the oil furnace on last night. It needs exercised. I run it early fall and early spring, when it is not quite cold enough to light up. The wood burner would run us out of the house right now. I keep the tanks full, just in case and have been getting 130-150 gallons every second year, so 65-75 gallons per year. The cold season will set in soon enough. I didn't start to bring any wood in yet. I probably won't light till the 1st of November...I hope.

The temp in my house dropped to 63 this morning so I lit my Fisher woodeater for the first time this seasonimage.jpg

Lit her up yesterday, ran it all day and as soon as I got up today it was the first request by the wife and kids.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I bet that was driving you nuts, having that beast just sitting there waiting for a first fire all summer...;)

Yep , the downside it's 81 in here now and the whole family is dowsing off .. Archery started today and after a long hunt there's nothing better than coming out of the cold rain to a warm house and taking a snooze

fired up the boiler last night. will run nights for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back