It's getting to that time! Who's lit?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my stove going for over a month! I've already cleaned out about 5 gallons of ash.

I've had a fire this year at least a few days each month except for July. Started heating at night late August. Been burning mostly non stop since mid-Sept.

Couple of those pics look like it's summer still. Trees have lost most of their leaves here. Have had snow a few times, though it's melted.

got down to 39 at night a couple times last week. fired up my arrow fireplace insert stove for the first time( just bought the house). it has a blower on each side and she really blows the heat. I think it will heat the whole house.. it better since my only other option is electric heat.

It will be the end of October before I light up the first fire of the year.
It wont drop down to the 40's till then.
I hate the cold, thats why I burn so much wood keeping warm.

Lit it off yesterday, cold of the past few days has the wife and MIL in lap blankets and sweaters. As was said earlier, Happy wife = happy life. Burning old pine for the next 3 months then the switch to hard woods for the new year then back to pine and poplar in April. At least that is THE PLAN.

This is what we do when it's not quite cold enough to spark up the stove. Kids want to make hobo pies and there is just enough chill in the air to warrant burning some uglies.

3b40cb7df6a936570449a0ab9de8f323.jpg

sent from a field

This is what we do when it's not quite cold enough to spark up the stove. Kids want to make hobo pies and there is just enough chill in the air to warrant burning some uglies.
Hobo pies inside! Nice! I've never tried that one but I do have an open fireplace in the living room that isn't good for much else. The kids get a hoot out of frying chicken eggs over a half one on the campfire for the dog. After I eat one first of course

What kind of hobo pie uses eggs? The ones I use to make as a kid involved 2 slices of bread and a bunch of jelly inbetween, cooked in one of these things:
6a00d8341c77ee53ef015390010369970b-800wi

It's only got down to 49* twice, So I had two small fires. Like Just kindling and two splits. I was amazed that 5+ hrs later the Cat Probe on my Buck 91 still was 1000* and had wood left :) its gonna be a good winter :)
Wood IS the only heat I have....

It's only got down to 49* twice, So I had two small fires. Like Just kindling and two splits. I was amazed that 5+ hrs later the Cat Probe on my Buck 91 still was 1000* and had wood left :) its gonna be a good winter :)
Wood IS the only heat I have....

That is impressive!

No fires for the next week. Looks like the Temps are creeping up a bit again
Welcome to the shoulder season...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Got chimney swept. Only 1 little nest this year. 2 dead birds. The bottom cap had about a cup of dried caked soot. Ran brush down 4 times. Maybe got a 1/2 cup of crap out. Took the cap and wrapped it in chicken wire so the dirty birds don't get in this year. Cleaned stove and threw some black polish on it. Ready to roll.

I did order a stainless water coil to put in stove and hook to floor heat in garage. If i works well, will get another one for the hot water heater.

coil_24S.jpg

Our temps here are really mild. next 7 days will be in 70-80's, lows mid 40's. I will be in Canada fishin in a week so I am not concerned.

Gonna hold off another couple of weeks or so. I'll wait until daytime temps stay in the fifties. I jumped the gun the last two years in a row - lit the stove when I came downstairs in the morning and saw the thermometer at 63 degrees. Unfortunately the house shot up to 80 degrees in no time and I had to let the fire burn out before lunch. Besides, I've realized it's a good idea to fire up the oil furnace in October to make sure it's running properly. No point in waiting until January when I really need it, only to find out that something's wrong with it.

Daytime Temps in the 50s today and supposed to get to the 30s tonight. Lit the CB last night to beat the cold spell.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

We lit up here in Muskingum County Ohio, but it wasn't roaring. Just a fire of chunks and sticks. Wife was happy = me happy.:havingarest:

Latest posts

Back