It's getting to that time! Who's lit?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
62df499f797c64615060668191e4b844.jpg

Lit the stove again. High of 55 today, but temp is plunging as I sit here. Secondary tubes are rolling and it's just toasty.

Got home today...house was 63* - gas furnace came on. ... Hmmm -Sposed to get down to 37* tonight so lit the furnace @ 400pm. Now nice & toasty 75* for bed time. Wanted to wait till the 1st but can't have the wife be cold!!!

Cool, cloudy, windy and rainy all day yesterday, first evening fire of the season last night.
Right now, 5:00 AM, 34° with a 20-30 MPH northwest wind, first serious fire of the season this morning (only because there weren't no solar heating of the house yesterday).
But, the weather prophets are sayin' winds will switch to the south tomorrow afternoon and we'll be back up 'round 70° by Monday... still in on-off mode here.
Except for today still on the cool side and a slight rain chance on Saturday (standard Halloween weather), the next 10 days look unseasonably warm, dry and sunny with south breezes 10-20 MPH... t-shirt weather starting on Sunday.
Not even a morning frost in the forecast... if'n I have to cut grass again I'm gonna' whine like a valley girl.

We have typical weather for this time of year here now.
Cool nights of around 3 to -3 degrees C and day time highs of 7 to 10 degrees C.
Stove's been lit most nights.
Just burning my White Birch and some of last years Silver maple so far along with some uglies.
I still have lots of Sugar Maple (about two cords) and Green Ash (about one cord) for the really cold days when I light the wood stove along with the pellet stove.
My pellet stove will heat the whole house during the middle/coldest time of our heating season. I usually burn about 100 bags a season.

I usually burn year round to heat hot water, but this year I ran out of wood early. I have been using propane to heat the water with all summer. I started getting wood in for the winter, so I fired the 'ol OWB again 'cause I hate paying for propane.

Neighbor and I decided next Sunday to spark up the boiler. The highs are mid 40's but the lows are getting into the 20's. At least it will be easy on the wood supply and we were burning mid October last year.

Neighbor and I decided next Sunday to spark up the boiler. The highs are mid 40's but the lows are getting into the 20's. At least it will be easy on the wood supply and we were burning mid October last year.
We were also burning mid October last year. Its not that cold most days here right now hovering around the mid teens (Celsius of course), but the nights are getting chilly in around 0 to -7.
Add rain and that makes for a damp cold that just begs for some wood fire.

Lookin' for 70° today, tomorrow and Wednesday, mid-60s on Thursday, overnight's in the 50s.
I was outside yesterday in a t-shirt using the pressure washer... we had the screen doors wide open until well after dark last night... flat unheard of on the first of November where I live.
My firebox is stone-cold and I expect it will remain that way for at least a week or so.

Lookin' for 70° today, tomorrow and Wednesday, mid-60s on Thursday, overnight's in the 50s.
I was outside yesterday in a t-shirt using the pressure washer... we had the screen doors wide open until well after dark last night... flat unheard of on the first of November where I live.
My firebox is stone-cold and I expect it will remain that way for at least a week or so.

Same here...Indian Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was outside most of yesterday in a t shirt as well.

Next weekend is deer opener and looks like we will be back to average temps.

This will be my 25th deer season and I think we have had 2 or 3 where I was able to sit in the deer stand with a long sleeve shirt and no jacket.

Next weekend is deer opener and looks like we will be back to average temps.
At this point the prediction is for Saturday to be close to normal, or average (average is 47° daytime high/27° overnight low)... but other than that single day the predictions have us 15°-20° above normal for at least the next 10 days. And the Climate Prediction Center has us well above normal for the entire month of November (I'm just inside darkest red area).

off15_temp.gif

Heck... even the 3 month prediction has us above normal through January (I'm just barely north of the "40" line).

off01_temp.gif

At this point the prediction is for Saturday to be close to normal, or average (average is 47° daytime high/27° overnight low)... but other than that single day the predictions have us 15°-20° above normal for at least the next 10 days. And the Climate Prediction Center has us well above normal for the entire month of November (I'm just inside darkest red area).

off15_temp.gif

Heck... even the 3 month prediction has us above normal through January (I'm just barely north of the "40" line).

off01_temp.gif
I am strangely ok with this.:D

Be nice to have a winter were you can be outside doing things.

Snowshoeing in a mild January followed by cocktails on the deck? Ok with that too.

Back