It's getting to that time! Who's lit?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a concrete contractor. Last year at this time we were covering in blankets and Nov 4 was full on winter - done for the year. This year we may get done before the weather turns if we get next week. I see the slight chance of a thunderstorm Thursday also. Keep that rain down in Iowa!

I have the boiler going and heating hot water. My wife has had the windows open this week. I think I did good moving the bad wood in the shed this year. Lots of box elder and popple mixed in with elm and some oak. 30 cords of oak stacked for the next couple years.

Running the lawn mower today with the grass catcher to pick up the leaves and I am out there in shorts and t-shirt. Will be doing the same thing tomorrow. I have a big yard and the leaves are going on the garden.

I just checked the weather gizmo, our high today was 79°. It's unbelievable, but I'm not complaining. We used lp for a couple cool mornings at the beginning of October, but switched to all wood now. I carried about a cord of wood in around September, but only have used a couple wheelbarrow loads worth. Our future forcast shows temps well above normal.

Probably only had 5-6 fires this year.
It has been in the high 60's low 70's past few days. Awesome, been getting outside stuff ready before the snow flies. This daylight savings time sure sucks tho, get home from work and dang near dark. Will be dropping in the 50's the end of the week. Will have some night fires to keep temps up in the house.

LIFE IS GOOD!
Wow. When I started this thread over a month ago I never thought I'd make it this far until I lit a fire inside for the first time tonight. Thank you El Nino or whatever the heck it is that kept it this mild so far this fall in north central Ohio. Rare nice weather the last few weeks. In Ohio we just expect to be disappointed because we are Browns and Indians fans. OSU is a truely rare exception so give us that(Great game by the Gophers today btw. They could've knocked 'em out til the end!)

I had a sucky start today with an early rare 5 am wake-up call to come in for work but it rounded out nicely. Got home by eleven with notions to cut wood but wife and three kids were all about leaf raking on a beautiful sunny day. After 3 hours of quality time dumping leaves at half-rate so the 3 yr old could help with his kid-gator loads of leaves too, it was nap time and go time for Dad!

In the next 3 hrs I was able to clean the chimney, go to the woods, drop and buck a nice ash with the saws, drink a beer with my best friend as I left my woods and he entered it for an evening bow hunt(no luck for him btw but he saw a nice one), come home and unload, all before wife took older 2 kids to Saturday evening mass. (3 yr olds suck in church, I'm going solo tomorrow for the same reason. lol). BUT...when my 3 yr old hellion who just flushed his babysitter's 2 carot diamond wedding ring down her toilet last Friday(true story that we luckily recovered in the $hitter pipe) woke up he said gloriously, "Daddy, we shoud make a fire". It's 37 F now and its expected to get down to 31 tonight. House is 75 degrees and happy. And wife's wedding ring is solidly secure on her finger. Which means the 3 yr old is probably out burning down my shop. Carry on gentlmen!

3b23326b80264ea8f66e2c33261822c4.jpg

Someone is happy we're lit again. Stove has been cold for over a week since we had a warm spell. It was 36 when I got up and windy so the stove was lit. Keeping the fires small as the day warms up, but it feels great to sit and watch the flames dance.

Officially lit as of yesterday at 1100 am. We had a high of 57 degrees yesterday but been having hard frost nights.

Shop, house, and attached garage are all up to temp. Actually really nice getting everything running and up to temp while it's nice out.

3rd snow storm of the year, they are calling for 4-8". I tried to get my own firewood for next year all put up today (I had dumped it in the driveway a while back) but I ran out of daylight. Gets dark at not much after 5.

Have about 2" when I let the dog out around 1am (230 now).

As far as burning, I've been running my stove for about 1.5 months. Have burned a little under 1/2 a cord. I normally burn 3-3.5 a year.

Just a small morning and/or evening fire here the last few days... frost in the AM a couple times.
We're still running around 10° above the "normal" (or "average") and the 10-forecast says we're gonna' pretty much stay that way.
I had a heavy wool shirt on yesterday morning, but striped it off around mid-day... drove to town for a box of beer, window down in the truck.
Ain't even thought about lighting the shop stove... heck, I have the overhead doors wide open when I'm out there.
We got enough rain about 10-15 days ago to cancel all the open burning bans around us, and it looks like a little more rain later this week.
All-in-all... just flat beautiful November weather... still cruising to the neighbors house on the golf cart.

I got the stove going yesterday and burned all day today. Cool and rainy and I have some poplar for this weather, need to clear it out of the woodshed so I can get some more wood dropped off and cut up.
I need to split some wood. It's starting to get to me. I need to cut some wood, man. It's giving me the shakes....I keep waking up, outside, in the middle of the night, screaming, with my x27 in my hands, flailing wildly at sticks or anything that looks like a log....I need help....

I'm lit! Been lit for a few weeks actually. I fired up my owb when we had a cool weekend a few weeks ago but didn't want to shut it down so I left it going and it keeps the hot water going. Looks like this week it will be in need of use for sure.

Had a couple fires since mid October here in NC. I have the dreaded Hotblast but its done very well for me. I can take the house from 60 to 75 in no time. Been burning some poplar, pear, and dogwood my landscaper neighbor dropped off in the day, and whiteoak at night. Put 4 splits in at 9:45 last night, backed the damper off shut 3/4 of a turn, and woke up to a large bed of coals at 8am when i checked it. Fans were still kicking on when i left the house and im sure it had another couple hours in it. With 10 splits i should get a 16 hr burn no problem.

Just lit the Shenandoah sunday night for a overnight fire. Lows were mid to upper 30's with a good frost. I lit my second fire last night even though it was in the mid to lowe 40's. My hot water tank uses a heat pump so the efficiency take a good hit when the basement drops to 60 and lower. Also, my basement celing isnt heated so it nice to get a little heat going under the floor. I have maybe 2/3 of a cord up at the house, all ash. The rest of my stack is still down at my splitting area waiting to be moved.

Back