It's getting to that time! Who's lit?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fired it up this morning for the first time. It's always weird every year when I start pulling splits off the pile after spending all that time stacking!

I lit up my OWB on wednesday night, and this morning I found that my air conditioning was kicking in every time my thermostat called for the blower fan to run.
I had forgotten to flip the breaker off when the temperatures fell. Now I just need to remember to drain the downspout from my deck, etc.

The temperature dropped off a bit more than "they" predicted... friggin' 23° outside this morning. I reckon that's the end of the tomato plants for this year and the trees will be droppin' leaves by the bucket load the next couple days.
Yep, firebox is hot... second morning in a row, and likely will need to light it again tomorrow morning. That should be the end of it for a week or so, we're supposed to be back in the mid-70's on Monday.

Flurries here most of the day today. Just lit up. Got about 6 weeks worth stacked on the porch. It was a good day to do that.

33° outside this morn. and not much above 60° inside so I had ta bite the bullet and fire up the furnace. I kept a bunch of Cherry limbs from a scrounge that I'd of normally left in the woods so I fed them to the burner this AM.

I'm lit. It was mid 30's for the past couple of nights. And I'm seeing news stories about freezing temps everywhere and even snow in the north parts of the US. So my prediction for this coming winter is that there will be plenty of chatter in here about how cold it is, about abandoned woodpiles because the snow is too deep to get to them, weather emergencies, expensive propane, running out of wood, etc. I'm planning on having some more fun with global warming alarmists if they are still up to it.

Couldn't hold out any longer. Low in mid 2o's last night high of 39 today and dropping to 24 tonight. 59 in the house 52 in the man rm. I'm not watching the pats in a 50 something degree rm. Running on some pine now.

I got a deal on some fuel so I had them fill the tank (first time in about 4 years) so we have been letting the inside furnace do the work to take the chill off. I am hoping to put of lighting up until November. Then it will be game on for the winter :)

Haha! Still in the 90's during the day. lol
The phone has been ringing off the hook for the past week though.
I'm sure I'll be out by January.
3 cords left the yard in the last 3 days.
Got my pile of ugly's set aside for the first cool spell that will go first.
Then I'l break out the good stuff when it get really cold.

...my prediction for this coming winter is... expensive propane...
I got a deal on some fuel so I had them fill the tank (first time in about 4 years)...
I looked at the propane tank gauge last night... darn near empty (it get's used for hot water). So I stopped at the coop this morning and asked the price... 99¢ (she said I should have bought it in July/August for 84¢). Whatever... 99¢ still sounded cheap to me... I gave 'em a check for $250.00 and told 'em to haul it on out there. On hindsight I should'a just had them fill the tank for that price... and saved the firewood for leaner times.

We had a couple of small morning fires over the weekend, but then it warmed up to 80° on Monday. Lookin' at the weather forecast we'll likely have a couple small morning fires again mid next week... but they won't be much to talk about. Appears it will be sometime after Halloween before we're burning with any sort'a regularity. Heck, last night I sat around the fire pit in a t-shirt and barefoot grilling pork chops. It's been a warm, dry October... and the NWS Climate Prediction Center has us staying well above average temperatures all winter. Heck, it might be Thanksgiving before I need anything near a serious fire. I might actually have to cut the grass another time (and that sucks... I just serviced the equipment and stored it away last weekend).

Neighbor and I did the inaugural initial burn to trouble shoot any potential issues and got the new forced air setup in place and functioning.

Right as rain. We figured might as well do it while it was nice out.

With the shop turned on the stove went from dead to off in 2 hrs with a load of not so seasoned sugar maple.

Last night was first frost on cars. Owb finally had fire this morning. It's taken a couple weeks to finally have enough ash to hold coals and not have the stove damper down so much it starves out fire. Been keeping windows open to force thermostat to cycle owb more. often. Sad to be that desperate to burn wood. But I love that smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we have had 3 small fires in the evening so far -- think another one tonight as it is about 38 degrees out now with the sun shining -- good burning all

Cleaned the flu pipe today. Not as bad as would think. Dirty job "yes" but not much creosote build up.
About half a gallon coffee can worth of crystallized soot, in a 20 foot pipe.
That's a full year of burning. lol When I say year, that means about 4 months.
Forecast for the next 10 days are still in the mid to upper 80's during the day and a whopping 58 at night.
I'm still sleeping with no sheets or blanket.
Still waiting!!!

Latest posts

Back