It's time. I've decided to sell my splitter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydro splitters definitely give a fella a workout, that's for sure. It's different, though. It's weight training instead of cardio.

The way I split most of my wood, I buck it into rounds and then split it right where it is. I rarely pick up rounds of wood. I split most of my wood with a Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. The head is about 5#. I did have a love affair with the X27, but I keep coming back to the GB. I don't think I could handle a 10# maul for very long without tiring or hurting myself.

Heh. I broke the handle in my sledge hammer. Decided I had had enough of fitting handles, went to town and bought a 10 lb Collins. Used wedge to split one block and took it back because it was too heavy, treaded for an 8lb. Couple days later I used it and discoverd that my old one WAS a 10 lb. I must just have had one of my weak moments when I tried the 10lb Collins.

I must have the wrong tools, or use the tools I have incorrectly. No way I could keep up hand splitting. I wish I could.
Question though, about hand splitting. When is the best time to split wood? Right away while it is green? A few months later? Or way later after it has dried?
I have heard several different philosophies.

I have the Fiskers X27, but I need a proper maul.... any suggestions?

Best time? Whenever I am in the mood. I stack rounds all summer and split in the winter. As for having time? I'm retired and don't have much else to do.

After some 40+ years I still havein't decided if splitting green or dry is the easiest. Seems whichever I am working on at the time is it :)

How do you like that Fiskars maul? I have a x27 and a 8 pound Trumper maul and I've been debating if its worth getting the fiskars maul.

Best time? Whenever I am in the mood. I stack rounds all summer and split in the winter. As for having time? I'm retired and don't have much else to do.

After some 40+ years I still havein't decided if splitting green or dry is the easiest. Seems whichever I am working on at the time is it :)

Gotcha....

How do you like that Fiskars maul? I have a x27 and a 8 pound Trumper maul and I've been debating if its worth getting the fiskars maul.
Mines a good combo with the x27. For fresh cut or big rounds I use the Isocore. But I like the added endurance the x27 gives me for longer sessions with smaller easier wood. It made these big rounds into firewood easily. It was ash too be honest but still. Load that on a splitter even in vertical mode!
image.jpeg
My red radio earmuffs are at the bottom of the first one for scale. It only took an hour. Ok not quite! But we did split it all by hand over a few visits between poker games! Even the 67 yr old was impressed enough to buy one!

I have hydraulics so it doesn't really matter when I split it.
For one thing I cut my wood close to 30" long, I can't see too many of you splitting that for any length of time if at all. I do a lot of red oak, hard maple with some beech, birch and hickory thrown in for good measure. Of course what I get isn't log grade logs, they are the culls so use your imagination. Lot's of knots and twists and such.
I'm glad you can do it by hand, I (and my body) choose not to!

My wood splitters all married or went off to college, so I recently purchased an Ariens 22T splitter. I travel a lot and was surprised to find that my wife had fired it up and split a bunch of wood with my special needs son. He quickly learned how to control the ram pretty efficiently. It gives him a sense of accomplishment and he feels good that he can now be part of the wood splitting party. When my other "spliiters" come home, they use the Fiskars while the older or more challenged folk stick with the hydraulics.

My wood splitters all married or went off to college, so I recently purchased an Ariens 22T splitter. I travel a lot and was surprised to find that my wife had fired it up and split a bunch of wood with my special needs son. He quickly learned how to control the ram pretty efficiently. It gives him a sense of accomplishment and he feels good that he can now be part of the wood splitting party. When my other "spliiters" come home, they use the Fiskars while the older or more challenged folk stick with the hydraulics.
Hey, I know where your coming from. I had three sons, grown now in the 6'6" 250lb range. Big boys need to learn to swing a maul. Empty nesters now. I actually built my splitter with my wife in mind, I wanted her to be able to split wood, even if I couldnt. so far that hasnt happened , but I can always dream. I do believe being able to include all members of the family, regardless of abilities is a very worth while endeavor to pursue. Not everybody can pick up a axe or maul and and if a hydraulic splitter allows a son or daugther to participate, I'm all for it.

splitters left a bunch of years ago now back but brought those pint size ones along, so ain't no help just spend time chasing pint size ones. and so the cycle goes.

I'm an airplane mechanic for a living, right after moving into the big old house with the big old stove, I got tennis elbow (stretched a tendon) in my dominant arm.
While the X27 is fun, it was a struggle to scrounge, split and stack 6 cords/yr.
The screw splitter I had helped, but was slow and dangerous.
With the 20 ton, I'm scrounging splitting and stacking a few years ahead, without risking a repeat on my elbow, last time I was out of work over a month

There's a flip side to that too. Splitting is good exercise. Not exercising because it makes you sore can contribute to poor health, which also causes aches and pains. Sitting on your bottom or standing at the splitter all day can make you fat and lazy. You will pay later for that too.

I split between 10-15 cords a year by hand. I use an x27 and a Gransfors Bruks splitting maul. It's a great way to get your heart rate up and build upper body strength. Also, it's exceptionally satisfying.

Yeah, splitters have their place. Personally, I'm hoping to keep expanding my maple syrup operation. At some point I won't want to do it all by hand. I'm saving up for an electric HD Super Split, myself.

As far as paying later, though, none of us are gonna make it outta here alive.
boiling sap will make ya split some wood!!!

No way I'd go back to a chainsaw and splitter. Did a bit a few weeks ago (too big for the processor)... the heck with that!

No way I'd go back to a chainsaw and splitter. Did a bit a few weeks ago (too big for the processor)... the heck with that!

I use a splitter when the "to be split" pile gets a bit out of hand. I do NOT like using one. I hate the look of a big pile of split owod waiting to be stacked :crazy:. Stacking wood is one of my least favorite occupations when dealing with wood. Hand splitting and stacking as it is split

Stringy Elm = lost wedges or more sensibly, a hydro splitter. I use an X27, Gransfors maul, and a hydro splitter depending on the wood. Large pitchy Fir or Hemlock with 4" - 6" knots will make you appreciate a hydro splitter and chainsaw.

Stringy Elm = lost wedges or more sensibly, a hydro splitter. I use an X27, Gransfors maul, and a hydro splitter depending on the wood. Large pitchy Fir or Hemlock with 4" - 6" knots will make you appreciate a hydro splitter and chainsaw.

Love that elm!....NOT. When working that the hydraulic splitter also wears a sharp hatchet.

Latest posts

Back