I've stood all I can stand , you tube culls.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tramp bushler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Interior ,Alaska, Copper River Valley,, Coastal Al
Can I PLEASE ask a favor .
IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO PUT UP A SHARP CHAIN . DONT POST A VIDEO OF YOU CRINDING YOUR WAY THRU A LOG OR TREE WITH A DULL CHAIN ON YOUR SAW ! ! ! ! ! !

IF your a West Coast faller LEARN HOW TO PUT A FACE IN A TREE AND BACK IT UP WITH OUT ALL THIS @#$%&π×}^€™ AROUND ON THE STUMP . YOU /;:'"!&%$#@%&*+MAKE ME WANT TO TAKE A CLUB TO YA . . HAVE YOU NO SHAME . IT EMBARRISING. .

Whats even worse . ARE THE UN HEROS WHO JUST VIDEO PUTTIN IN THE LAST OF THE BACK CUT AND WATCHIN THE TREE FALL . .

I agree some of these videos are pretty tough to take. There have been some excellent work done by a few fallers who are willing to show their techniques which is pretty cool to hear them explain what they are trying to do and why and then show the technique to get it done. Physics lesson by a simple working man who is a master of his trade. Hate to say the bad ones are way more than the good ones though. What I really enjoy is watching the small efficiency techniques that the good fallers have become so good at( like how much effort they do not waste cutting with a dull ass chain) . That is the stuff folks need to really focus on learning since this is what makes this job easier and safer.

IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO PUT UP A SHARP CHAIN . DONT POST A VIDEO OF YOU CRINDING YOUR WAY THRU A LOG OR TREE WITH A DULL CHAIN ON YOUR SAW ! ! ! ! ! !

IF your a West Coast faller LEARN HOW TO PUT A FACE IN A TREE AND BACK IT UP WITH OUT ALL THIS @#$%&π×}^€™ AROUND ON THE STUMP . YOU /;:'"!&%$#@%&*+MAKE ME WANT TO TAKE A CLUB TO YA . . HAVE YOU NO SHAME . IT EMBARRISING. .

Whats even worse . ARE THE UN HEROS WHO JUST VIDEO PUTTIN IN THE LAST OF THE BACK CUT AND WATCHIN THE TREE FALL . .

Please grow up

I really enjoy the farmers back cut, right along the freeway, I pass it twice a day, a professional tree service removed a few yard pines and here are these ugly farmers back cuts. Here I am a firewood guy who only falls around 50 trees or so a year just learning to perfect the dutchman and I have to look at stumps pros have cut with that funky farmers back cut, I just shake my head.

I do enjoy learning from the pro's on Utube, I actually got to make my first soft dutchman to swing a tree 180 degrees and it worked flawlessly, I could actually feel the tree rotate around on my bar as I was sawing through the back cut.

Am I perfect? No. But I am willing to learn and at least try different things. Yes. RandyMac has me wanting to learn how to cut a Humbolt, I do run into trees that would benefit from such a face cut.

I suck at sharpening chains by hand, I practice quite a bit but have not gotten it down yet, I do have a grinder on my bench so I make sure I bring enough sharp chains to last me the day. I can tell when a chain is no longer at its premium, and I will either change it out or run a file over it to bring it back, but if I hit the dirt it is game over till I get home.

Good thing I am a professional driver, if I were a professional logger I would be constantly out of work, but I see how you @#$%^ drive and it is a wonder you ever make it home to your kids. So lets try to be kind to that poor firewood guy who is thrilled that he has the ball$ to fell a tree to provide heat for his family, as I would never criticize how you drive, and I know you think you are good at it.

Rant? Attempt at humor? PUI? The number of spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors in the above quoted post gave me a headache.

Yup . Everyone needs to learn . I really appreciate the saw moders posting the saws they have juiced up . And I love watching timber hit the ground .
Sure would like to see so many guys buying chisel chain grinders that Silvey , Simington , Zigglemeyer, Bell and Neilson were all going great guns .

Some of those YouTube hero fallers are a little aggravating. But some of them are pretty good, too. Just because we don't agree with the way they cut or just because it's not the way we'd do it doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

I see guys in the woods that put my teeth on edge...until I've watched them awhile and see what they get on the ground. If they're putting the wood down safely, at a good pace, keeping everything in lead and saving it out I tend to leave them alone. I might not like, or approve of, some of the things they do but it's just their way of doing things.

Everybody is a little different and most of the fallers I see in the woods are productive and safe. I do things a certain way because it works for me...they do the same. If I need things done a little differently I'll tell them and no matter what method they use, no matter what little differences in technique they bring to the job, it usually gets done...and done pretty well, too. That's the test.

You know yourself that if a guy comes in and he's not making the grade, and shows no hope of ever making it, he won't be around long. He can make all the videos he wants...it won't make him a faller.

Since they 'opened up' the internet in the 90's, the signal-to-noise ratio has been plummeting at an alarming rate. I've been using the internet since 1988. I used Mosaic when it came out on SunOS 4. Never did I ever see an instance where a good rant increased the s/n. What I have found is the internet is a good mirror to look in to. It shows us every single one of our faults and every single one of our glorious accomplishments as a species. I have posted a few rants myself. When I find myself invariably looking in to the mirror afterwards, I see the rant said more about me than anything else.

I still occasionally visit Google Groups to track down my old posts...

There are 60 HOURS of videos loaded to YouTube each minute.
Some won't be worth watching.
You will miss many great ones.
Are you just looking for the bad ones?
You will find many.

Look for the great ones.
They are harder to find but worth it.

Tryin to find the good ones is whats driving me nuts. . I think the net is a little of the problem .
I clicked on one about the 394 . 8 minutes of terrible stuff . I mean who would put in full face dutchmen on puurpose .

The fact is that most falling requires a face and a back cut .

least you don't have to worry about a sharp chain on this one :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BVu4HrPCEXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would be more embarrassed with your spelling and grammar than not felling a tree or filing a chain correctly, not everyone is cut out to fell a tree or sharpen a chain, however EVERYONE should know how to spell.

Last edited:
Back