Jammed starter cord on Stihl MS250 Easy2Start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemorley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The starter cord on my Stihl MS250 Easy2Start has jammed in what seems to be the all the way out . Usual methods of tugging or jiggling don't have any effect.

I pulled the starter cover but was unable to unstick the cord, and am afraid to go deeper because I have no idea what is inside the Easy2Start module.

Anyone know of an easy fix for this, or where I might find some directions for dismantling the starter module? I've found lots and lots on the net about replacing the cord, but nothing about the E2S module

On the EasyStarts there are two springs, one that appears to be a normal recoil spring, and one that's encapsulated in a plastic housing. It's pretty common for someone to yank too hard on the EasyStart and take out the spring in the encapsulated portion. The only real way to fix it is to replace that part.

Took off a circlip and was able to remove the E2S starter spring, but was stopped dead by a very complicated bent wire clip that retains the recoil and pulley assembly, which is where the blockage seems to be. Couldn't figure out any way to get the wire clip out without messing something out, so I sprayed some WD40 it behind the pulley where I figured the recoil must be hiding, and effected a total and complete cure! Starter worked like new

Alas it was only for a dozen or so starts, then jammed again, and worse than before.

It's pretty simple to slide off that clip, but it's very hard to describe and easy to show. I don't have time to do a video, but maybe there's one out there.

If you pry off the name plate on the outside of the starter cover, there are four oiling holes for the rewind spring under the name plate.

Back