John deere XTS38

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jared a

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here, been lurking for a while and have found a lot of useful information. My question is a little of topic about a riding mower, but I figured I 'd take a chance and ask. have a John Deere XTX38 with a 13HP Kohler Command. All of a sudden it does not do anything when turning the key, no click even. Battery tests at 12.6, I replaced starter, solenoid, and key switch. When turning the key I have 12 volts to all 4 points on the selenoid, and to the starter, and rectifier. When I jump the solenoid, it cranks , just wont start. PTO is off and seat switch and brake switch tested ok. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

hope so too, did nt think the coil was going to so expensive, already replaced starter, solenoid, and switch, adding up ha

Don't overthink it. If it won't crank while turning they key, but turns over while jumping the solenoid and you've already made sure the solenoid was ok, you have a bad switch or interlock. Check seat switch, pto safety, pedal switch, etc. Don't forget to check fuses, you never know.

Thanks alot for the help, turns out it was just a bad key switch! Ordered a john deere one works fine! Thanks again!

Back