Jonsered 2156 vs 2159

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you will be doing good to get either saw with the availabilty right now. i use a ported 2156 for daily all around logging and it works good. but i think a modded 2159 would be better, for less money. an old engine builder always told me "there is no replacemant for displacement".

we better see a pic of a brand new sexy red saw on this thread tonight.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My exact dilemma...

I changed my mind. The 59 is a very solid saw, but if you can get a 56 for $90 more, I think you gotta do it. Especially if you hang out on this site. If you buy the 59, there is about a ten percent chance you don't wind up with the red version of the 562xp within a few years. If you buy the 56, there is about a 40% chance you won't do the same!

Arboristsite motto: "Spreading CAD like herpes for more than a decade!":msp_biggrin:

Another small point about the 2159 is that it still comes with a black unlinited coil.
The 2156 has a blue linited coil in it.

Of course it it possible to have great power gains out of a 359/2159, as that top end is purposely made to make less power than the 357xp/2156 counterpart, that is smaller. The design of the top end (with detatchable transfer covers) also makes it more easy than usual to open the inside of the transfers quite a bit....

At this time my 2156 and 2159 saws are stock except for a muffler change. The same with the 357 and 359 too!
The saw I would grab first is the 359.
This time of the year I use the 2156 with heated handles.

2159 it is, work the weekend so I'll get it on Monday when I'm off. First mod is get rid of that green gas cap. Lol. $90 is a lot of money to us right now so I decided not to swing the 2156.

2159 it is, work the weekend so I'll get it on Monday when I'm off. First mod is get rid of that green gas cap. Lol. $90 is a lot of money to us right now so I decided not to swing the 2156.

Good! The two saws are so close you wont notice.

When ya get rid of the green cap, get rid of the cat muffler also.

Good! The two saws are so close you wont notice.

When ya get rid of the green cap, get rid of the cat muffler also.

I can't agree more!!!! If you cant afford the jungle muffler, I drilled 8 or 9 3/8" holes in the baffle plate and blocked off original exh exit. IF YOU DO NOT IT WILL MELT YOUR TOP COVER!! I like pipes out the side so thats what I did. be sure to remove ALL burrs from the holes after drilling and clean out muffler thuroughly.

I can't agree more!!!! If you cant afford the jungle muffler, I drilled 8 or 9 3/8" holes in the baffle plate and blocked off original exh exit. IF YOU DO NOT IT WILL MELT YOUR TOP COVER!! I like pipes out the side so thats what I did. be sure to remove ALL burrs from the holes after drilling and clean out muffler thuroughly.

Good advice, but........................

The top exhaust port isn't really the issue causing the top to melt. The problem is really due to radiant heat from the cat muffler which gets significantly hotter than a standard one. Including when shutting off the saw and there is no more cooling air circulating. You solved the problem by letting more heat escape through the additional holes. And, I bet it sounds great too. :clap:

Back