Jonsered 2171 turbo rim sizes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1375619cm3

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The saw is currently running a 24" bar w a 8 pin rim at what point (bar size) up and down should I change to different rims. Acres site says it can run an 18-36" bar n I like a 20 for firewood but would love to pick up a 30+ as there has been enough times I've needed one but at that length (30+) I figured I gotta drop to at least a 7. An was wondering wether I could go up to a 9 w a smaller bar. Am I correct in thinking I can go up to a 9 w a 20" bar and I NEED to go down to a 7 with a 30+ bar?

With anything longer than 20" I would drop to 7-pin, and preferably with a 20" as well on a stock saw.

A 36" bar really is way too long on that saw, but you will be able to run it in a pinch, with skip chain.

How do you like the 2166? Have you removed the restrictors yet? My 365xt has the restrictors removed and a little port work done to it and it is much stronger now even though it was a nice runner stock.

Thanks guys currently the 8pin and 24 is strong its hard to bog down. So above that ill get a 7 pin.

Sawtroll what's the maximum lengtg bar you would recommend on this saw with a muffler mod as that's what I'm planning if not a port job as well.

That will depend on a lot of factors, so there is no really firm answer - I believe most would say 28 or maybe 32 inches.

I cut quite a bit of sugar maple with a stock 372 and 28" bar full skip. It did pretty well. The saw is now ported and will pull a 32" full comp.

That's what I was figuring 22" w full skip n 7 pin we be okay for occasional use. I'm going to keep the 24" or go to a 20 for 90% of the time. Thanks guys

The other thing to watch is bar oil. Depending on what wood you are cutting, you will need more or less bar lube. Slightly light on bar lube I'd want to slow the chain down some. My 372 is very happy with a 24" and I wouldn't hesitate to run a 28". I have NOT put the 32" on it as I don't think it will oil it enough.

There are things to do to the bar to help oil flow and pump modifications that can be performed to get more oil out there. Just remember it's not all about the power to pull it.

Thanks guys currently the 8pin and 24 is strong its hard to bog down. So above that ill get a 7 pin.

Sawtroll what's the maximum lengtg bar you would recommend on this saw with a muffler mod as that's what I'm planning if not a port job as well.

That will depend on a lot of factors, so there is no really firm answer - I believe most would say 28 or maybe 32 inches.

Depends an awful lot on what your cutting. A 372 with a 32" is a classic PNW softwood setup. It would have to be an unusually strong 372 to be convincing with a 28" in oak. Then again, it also depends on what you expect. One man's "strong" is another man's "boggy"

Depends an awful lot on what your cutting. A 372 with a 32" is a classic PNW softwood setup. It would have to be an unusually strong 372 to be convincing with a 28" in oak. Then again, it also depends on what you expect. One man's "strong" is another man's "boggy"[/QUOTE]

That is exactly it. I love my 372 with an 8 pin and 24" bar. Buddy has a ported 372 and loves it with a 7 pin and 20". A waste in my opinion but he's happy and a production guy. He loves to lean on it hard and never bog down at all. That makes him happy.

The bummer is longer bars get pretty spendy so you don't want to just "try" one on a whim. Add in a few loops of chain and you can drop some coin in a hurry.

I mainly cut cherry silver maple ash poplar and a little bit of oak. So a 32 will probly do.

I agree with ya on the spendy part of buying bigger new bars n chain.

Thanks guys for all your inputs.

The other thing to watch is bar oil. Depending on what wood you are cutting, you will need more or less bar lube. Slightly light on bar lube I'd want to slow the chain down some. My 372 is very happy with a 24" and I wouldn't hesitate to run a 28". I have NOT put the 32" on it as I don't think it will oil it enough.

There are things to do to the bar to help oil flow and pump modifications that can be performed to get more oil out there. Just remember it's not all about the power to pull it.

Great point. Jimmy

I never had a problem with a 372 oiling a 32". Semi skip is what I run on a 32" for 70-90cc saws. 7 or 8 pin depends on the saw. It is easy to tie up a lot of money in bars and chains. A while back I had over $1k in bars hanging on the wall and 2 saws:eek:

Stihl es with a bar adapter, Oregon, total, GB, Carlton, or Windsor. You might find one used by posting in the swap meet or trading post wanting one.

My bar is currently running a 3/8×.58. Do I have to do anything to change to a 3/8×.50 or to a 3\8×.63? What's the advantages or disadvantages of going with one or the other ? Whats the reason for different sizes ?

Back