Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too Kevin. I can't figure why it's stuck and it's on there good. I wonder if the guy put some retaining compound on it or something. I'm not ready to gall it up trying to get it off. I need to get some kroil or PB blaster tonight and try that first.

If you think there is a possibility of that, take a glass eye dropper and put some drops of MEK all around the inside edge. Yeah...either the Kroil or PB Blaster will work with rust...if that's the problem.

Kevin
I put it back together and fired it up. I would guess the garter spring on the clutch would be the engagement issue. I was able to slow the clutch down at a normal idle speed. When I put enough pressure on the drum to stop it, it almost stalled out.
The drum does spin freely when the saw is off.
I popped the garter spring out and it is worn. The shoes can be fairly easily pushed out with the spring on.

Tim,
I would guess the clutch spring has lost its composure and it's letting the shoes contact the drum excessively. Not sure where to source the spring, as you should use a fresh NOS or some kinda new-age replacement. Could be some modern cross-overs, but I'm not good with that.

Kevin

If you think there is a possibility of that, take a glass eye dropper and put some drops of MEK all around the inside edge. Yeah...either the Kroil or PB Blaster will work with rust...if that's the problem.

Kevin

Tim,
I would guess the clutch spring has lost its composure and it's letting the shoes contact the drum excessively. Not sure where to source the spring, as you should use a fresh NOS or some kinda new-age replacement. Could be some modern cross-overs, but I'm not good with that.

Kevin

I wouldn't even know where to start looking. At the least I was thinking off trying to take a couple of coils out.
I looked for complete clutches for 80, 90 and 801 but nothing came up.

I wouldn't even know where to start looking. At the least I was thinking off trying to take a couple of coils out.
I looked for complete clutches for 80, 90 and 801 but nothing came up.

Tim,
I have three or four...but they all came off of well used saws. It wouldn't hurt anything I suppose, to snip some coils off until you get it to just idle , warm and no chain movement. There's no problem finding used clutch assemblies, but you could easily be back in the same boat. Let em try a few sources and get back to ya.

Kevin

Tim....both source have nothing at the moment, sorry. I see no issues with snipping off coils to get the desired tension. Like I said, there's probably some cross-over to Husky or something newer. If Cantdog was still around, he'd probably know.....I'm not sure who is here anymore after the site went down for so long.

Kevin

Tim....both source have nothing at the moment, sorry. I see no issues with snipping off coils to get the desired tension. Like I said, there's probably some cross-over to Husky or something newer. If Cantdog was still around, he'd probably know.....I'm not sure who is here anymore after the site went down for so long.

Kevin

Thanks for looking Kevin. I cut a couple of coils off and will try it tomorrow or on the weekend. I will see if I can find Cantdog.

Tim, I found this place:http://www.lilredbarn.net/Jonsered-801-Clutch-s/28704.htm

But I can't for the life of me see the clutch parts they are talking about or how to order one. They claim to have one that meets of exceeds the OEM clutch. I think their search bot is just filling in any saw brand that you type in. My other two sources have nothing at the moment, sorry.

Yeah, just go back into this thread a ways and you'll see him post something...PM him...really nice guy.

Kevin

I'm pretty sure I have NOS springs and shoes. Give me a day or two to dig through the shed. Anything else while I search?

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I'm always looking for Jonny parts, especially NOS stuff.....NOS Pull start handle-almost impossible to find....NOS Clutch spring and shoes if you have any after you take care of Tim....Full wrap handle for the 80/90...NOS Chain guide plates....NOS AV mounts-the ones that are contained in the steel barrels and that split one that goes in the back of the handle.....one spark plug cover if you have one-can be used....NOS Oil & gas cap.

Thanks Kevin.
I cut some coils out of the clutch spring and got it to where it doesn't turn the chain much but the spring is just worn out. At least I can try out out tomorrow. The saw is amazing. It starts first pull every time if you can get the choke off fast enough.
It feels like it has lots of power. It oils well. Tons of compression.
I can see why you like them.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Kevin.
I cut some coils out of the clutch spring and got it to where it doesn't turn the chain much but the spring is just worn out. At least I can try out out tomorrow. The saw is amazing. It starts first pull every time if you can get the choke off fast enough.
It feels like it has lots of power. It oils well. Tons of compression.
I can see why you like them.
I'll let you know how it goes.

LOL yeah, you gotta be quick with the choke or she dies....otherwise two pulls usually in decent weather. They DO vapor lock though if you park them in the sun on a warm/hot day. Always stick it in the shade somewhere and you'll be fine. Not the best vent design in the world in practice. Can't wait to hear how you like 'er!:cool:

I tried the 801 out this morning. It runs and cuts very well. The wood was frozen so it was hard for me compare it to other larger saws I have but the torque and power is there.
It is an impressive saw. All I need to do is get the garter spring and a few other bits and try to get that inner bearing race off the crank. It will have to come if I ever need to change a crank seal. Do you know if there has been a current crank seal identified for these saws?
It sat in the garage all night in below freezing temps and started on the second pull.

I tried the 801 out this morning. It runs and cuts very well. The wood was frozen so it was hard for me compare it to other larger saws I have but the torque and power is there.
It is an impressive saw. All I need to do is get the garter spring and a few other bits and try to get that inner bearing race off the crank. It will have to come if I ever need to change a crank seal. Do you know if there has been a current crank seal identified for these saws?
It sat in the garage all night in below freezing temps and started on the second pull.

The low-end torque is what will win you on this saw. It's not a high revving modern saw by any means. Within reason, it just cuts whatever you plunge it into. The guy that sold me the 80 back in '79 or so....he owned a saw shop there in Montrose,CO and went completely through it as a winter project when times were slack. I don't know what he did exactly, but I've never seen an 80 run like this one. My 90 by comparison(bone stock), is just fractionally better in larger timber.

Yeah, I remember those days with frozen trees in the dead of winter. If they were frozen through, no kinda face cut or hinge wood/stump shot would help ya out...they just snapped and went in whatever direction they wanted. Those were the lean yrs of my youth to take those kinda chances...moving from tree to tree in waist high snow....drop something and you'd never find it etc.

There are cranks seals for this saw that cross over from Husky. Unlike Husky though, blowing a crank seal in a Jonny is not as heard of. Until you find some NOS seal conversions, most guys go with aftermarket repros like these:http://store.chainsawr.com/products/jonsered-chainsaw-crankshaft-oil-seal-loc-box-x

Last edited:
The low-end torque is what will win you on this saw. It's not a high revving modern saw by any means. Within reason, it just cuts whatever you plunge it into. The guy that sold me the 80 back in '79 or so....he owned a saw shop there in Montrose,CO and went completely through it as a winter project when times were slack. I don't know what he did exactly, but I've never seen an 80 run like this one. My 90 by comparison(bone stock), is just fractionally better in larger timber.

Yeah, I remember those days with frozen trees in the dead of winter. If they were frozen through, no kinda face cut or hinge wood/stump shot would help ya out...they just snapped and went in whatever direction they wanted. Those were the lean yrs of my youth to take those kinda chances...moving from tree to tree in waist high snow....drop something and you'd never find it etc.

There are cranks seals for this saw that cross over from Husky. Unlike Husky though, blowing a crank seal in a Jonny is not as heard of. Until you find some NOS seal conversions, most guys go with these aftermarket repros:http://store.chainsawr.com/products/jonsered-chainsaw-crankshaft-oil-seal-loc-box-x

Latest posts

Back