Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true......but even if it is good quality they are a wicked PITA to use....Have to slowly scroll to where the info you want is located......I made that mistake with Ducati manuals...once......hard copy is the only way to go.......I now have 4 original Tilton dealer binders packed full of old IPLS, service bulletins, shop manuals and owners manuals....

I know, right?? I keep trying to explain this to people and they don't get it! It's like the idea of a free, lousy copy in pdf overrules everything else, including logic/common sense. I can sit with a paper copy and read it a couple of time before I do a rebuild/repair but I can't do that on a PC with scrolling...not the same thing at all. Some member wants me to post this need on the general forum....but I know what's gonna happen....I'll be hit with why don't you get the FREE pdf or why would you want a PAPER copy etc...grrr

Nothing like hard copy......

Kevin

Nice, Dean...bar looks great! They had those that said Jonsered too, I don't know how rare they are. You'd have to ask someone here if it's got enough torque to run that bar....I don't know anything J'red under 80cc.

I had a hell of a time finding .404 chain for a .058 bar....eventually fossil found someone with a partial roll and I bought that. I suspect 3/8" chain is much easier to come by in that gauge?

Kevin

I know 23" is probably too big for a 621 but it does look sexy.:heart:
$30 and that included shipping.

Just find a 70E with a nice 20" and swap 'em.

I suspect 3/8" chain is much easier to come by in that gauge?
Kevin

Around here .058" is standard in both 3/8" and .325" on Jonsered and Husky.

Hey guys,
I picked up a 670 the other day. From what I've read here, it seems to be a good saw. Piston was scored. I got the cylinder cleaned up, but it is going to need a new piston. Haven't been able to find an OEM piston, so thinking I'll go with a meteor. I can find 50mm pistons available for husqvarna 266 and 268. Are these same and will they fit my 670?IMG_20150215_093210620.jpg

I also found a small hole in the intake boot, which is I guess what caused the scoring. Anybody know where I can find a new boot?
Thanks.

Interesting on the 3/8" chain back there and .058 bars.

When Baileys set up my first 80 with a .058 bar and .404 chain, the chain was available freely from many sources. I bought a lot of loops back then and so I didn't need anymore until sometime in the late 90's...was starting to get rare then.

Kevin

Hey guys,
I picked up a 670 the other day. From what I've read here, it seems to be a good saw. Piston was scored. I got the cylinder cleaned up, but it is going to need a new piston. Haven't been able to find an OEM piston, so thinking I'll go with a meteor. I can find 50mm pistons available for husqvarna 266 and 268. Are these same and will they fit my 670?View attachment 404530

I also found a small hole in the intake boot, which is I guess what caused the scoring. Anybody know where I can find a new boot?
Thanks.

Ebay, SawAgain or one of the more famous chainsaw bone yards.....

Kevin

Hey guys,
I picked up a 670 the other day. From what I've read here, it seems to be a good saw. Piston was scored. I got the cylinder cleaned up, but it is going to need a new piston. Haven't been able to find an OEM piston, so thinking I'll go with a meteor. I can find 50mm pistons available for husqvarna 266 and 268. Are these same and will they fit my 670?View attachment 404530

Thanks.

Nice looking early 670....congrats!!!...yep 266...268 XP piston will work fine....just make sure it's the windowed one, not the non-windowed.
Intake boot.....I would try sending spike60 a PM on here......he is a Jonsered/Husky dealer and can tell you the availability of the boots...other than that.... used or NOS on ebay.....Personally I'm not a big fan of boots just for this reason...eventually they all fail and they are one of the first items to go NLA on any given model/brand....

Nice looking early 670....congrats!!!...yep 266...268 XP piston will work fine....just make sure it's the windowed one, not the non-windowed.
Intake boot.....I would try sending spike60 a PM on here......he is a Jonsered/Husky dealer and can tell you the availability of the boots...other than that.... used or NOS on ebay.....Personally I'm not a big fan of boots just for this reason...eventually they all fail and they are one of the first items to go NLA on any given model/brand....

Thanks cantdog. It is a great looking saw, and I am looking forward to putting in some wood. There aren't any boots on the bay right now. I'll check with spike.
By " windowed " I assume you mean that you can see through it? The old, scored piston was not windowed:
IMG_20150217_212157623.jpg so, should I look for a non windowed replacement?

Thanks cantdog. It is a great looking saw, and I am looking forward to putting in some wood. There aren't any boots on the bay right now. I'll check with spike.
By " windowed " I assume you mean that you can see through it? The old, scored piston was not windowed:
View attachment 404652 so, should I look for a non windowed replacement?

SawAgain has a boot.....

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I missed that earlier.

Make sure it's in stock....sometimes I get excited and miss the "Out of Stock Call" icon. Do call though if they're out of stock....more than 50% of the time they have fixed me up. Pretty arduous job I expect, keeping everything up to date on all those saws/models.

Kevin

Nope........"out of stock"......looked this morning....

Twindad........that's the piston you DON'T want.......that is for a non-xp 268.........if it is Husky OEM it will say Gilardoni on the inside...otherwise it's aftermarket.......

So you're saying I should get a windowed piston, even if the saw is closed port?

1424308018761-183434272.jpg Here's the cylinder, closed port, right? And below is a picture of the piston. It is not windowed. I haven't measured it yet, I just figured it was 50mm, since the saw is a 670. Saw salvage has both windowed meteor pistons that are 50 mm for a 266xp and non windowed 50mm for a 268.
Sorry for the drawn out posts, just trying to learn and want to make sure I get the right parts.
14243082579791876049146.jpg

View attachment 404821 Here's the cylinder, closed port, right? And below is a picture of the piston. It is not windowed. I haven't measured it yet, I just figured it was 50mm, since the saw is a 670. Saw salvage has both windowed meteor pistons that are 50 mm for a 266xp and non windowed 50mm for a 268.
Sorry for the drawn out posts, just trying to learn and want to make sure I get the right parts.
View attachment 404824

That is definitely a Mahle closed port 670 cyl.........the piston is from an open port 268 non-XP cyl...again made by Gilardoni.......bottom line...... wrong piston...make certain the new piston is made by either Mahle (OEM) or Meteor....I wouldn't buy Golf or or any white box china made pistons....50MM 266XP Meteor would be fine....same as 268XP Meteor....windowed....

Latest posts

Back