Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the Jonsereds 50 brochure. It talks about an automatic chain sharpener. I have never seen or heard of one of these, anyone else?

View attachment 407811 View attachment 407812 View attachment 407813

Yeah, the power to weight ratio would be pretty poor compared to the smaller brush cutters of today.......but that powerhead would probably outlast 4 or 5 brush cutter engines of today's manufacture. Be a real hoot to try one of those with a good shoulder strap! I have terrible luck with weed eaters...I just flat wear them out and the parts are always ridiculous to buy for rebuilding. I had this TroyBilt weed eater once...four cycle. It starting running poorly and I couldn't figure out why, ordered a rebuilt kit for the carb...was like over $25...holy cow. Put that on and no change. Finally found out that the 'finger' choke was nearly hidden and was about half on...had hit it somehow! Never had any reason to use the choke as it always started right up. Then the spark module failed and the module was close to $100....so it sits in a box waiting for a donor or the landfill. Bought another TroyBilt(yeah I know, you can't fix stupid), this time 2 cycle. It has this dumbest start procedure I've ever seen on an engine. Do it any other way than they tell ya and you'll pull on it forever.

Other than the weight, I'm thinking a chainsaw powerhead would be awesome as a brush cutter....anyone ever use one??

Kevin

Yeah, the power to weight ratio would be pretty poor compared to the smaller brush cutters of today.......but that powerhead would probably outlast 4 or 5 brush cutter engines of today's manufacture. Be a real hoot to try one of those with a good shoulder strap! I have terrible luck with weed eaters...I just flat wear them out and the parts are always ridiculous to buy for rebuilding. I had this TroyBilt weed eater once...four cycle. It starting running poorly and I couldn't figure out why, ordered a rebuilt kit for the carb...was like over $25...holy cow. Put that on and no change. Finally found out that the 'finger' choke was nearly hidden and was about half on...had hit it somehow! Never had any reason to use the choke as it always started right up. Then the spark module failed and the module was close to $100....so it sits in a box waiting for a donor or the landfill. Bought another TroyBilt(yeah I know, you can't fix stupid), this time 2 cycle. It has this dumbest start procedure I've ever seen on an engine. Do it any other way than they tell ya and you'll pull on it forever.

Other than the weight, I'm thinking a chainsaw powerhead would be awesome as a brush cutter....anyone ever use one??

Kevin
That 62L brush cutter has the same engine as the 601 or later 621 chainsaws...56cc...you would have to cut a lot of brush to wear that out!!! LOL!!!

I know Homelite used to make that attachment and expect other chainsaw manufacturer's may have as well.
It looks good for cutting anything that gets in the way. Helpers feet included.
View attachment 408616

Yeah no doubt, Tim! Back in the day you wouldn't have wanted to give the rig to some teenager and say, 'Go remove all the brush in the lower 40'. Wicked device for sure....like hand-held concrete cutters.

Except I'd probably still have it going today with a chainsaw powerhead like that. My first weed eater/brush cutter was in the early 80's.....so these must have still been out there to some degree. If I had seen one with a J'red powerhead, I would have bought it for sure!

Kevin

Yeah no doubt, Tim! Back in the day you wouldn't have wanted to give the rig to some teenage and say, 'Go remove all the brush in the lower 40'. Wicked device for sure....like hand-held concrete cutters.

Except I'd probably still have it going today with a chainsaw powerhead like that. My first weed eater/brush cutter was in the early 80's.....so these must have still been out there to some degree.

Kevin
I have all sorts of manuals and IPLs on these old cutters.......but have never actually seen one!!

Really??.....Good score!! Of course we need pics!!!!! Waiting........

ok . . . ok . . . . . not to proud of it. It was an impulse buy fueled by beer, wine and certain meds I should not have been mixing.

The saw is in rough shape with a scored jug. I may just part it out once I get a look at it. :confused:

I bought a 111s.

NO FRIGGIN' WAY!!

Man, you might wait a long time for a pristine jug. Well, there has to be some kinda story....so you were in a bar lamenting about how you've wanted a 111S for a long time and while you were capriciously intoxicated...some guy steps out from the shadows and says, "I've got the saw for you!"....lol!! You'd make a lot of 111S people on this site happy if you parted it out. But I know how you are....you'll start looking at it with those 'I can fix you, baby' eyes.....hehe

Kevin

Now the generator turns up...after the heated handle sold. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-451E-910-920-930-830-Coil-Heated-Handle-Generator

I think I've seen one before sell on ebay over the yrs.

Kevin
I've a number of those......but you have to have the flywheel to go with it for the 910EV...not the same flywheel as the 910E.......I also picked up that 910EV full wrap off ebay a couple weeks ago...want to go EV pretty bad but have not found a beat donor saw with the needed bits...been looking a long time too....

NO FRIGGIN' WAY!!

Man, you might wait a long time for a pristine jug. Well, there has to be some kinda story....so you were in a bar lamenting about how you've wanted a 111S for a long time and while you were capriciously intoxicated...some guys steps out from the shadows and says, "I've got the saw for you!"....lol!! You'd make a lot of 111S people on this site happy if you parted it out. But I know how you are....you'll start looking at it with those 'I can fix you, baby' eyes.....hehe

Kevin

I know a guy who has a jug . . . . . . . . . :yes:

I hear Maine is beautiful this time of the year . . . . . . . . .:lol:

Well, there has to be some kinda story....

I'm afraid it's not QUITE as colorful a story as yours . . . . . . laying in bed with the laptop ready to nod off and for some reason I did an ebay search on 111s and this saw popped up with less than 5 minutes on the bid. It seemed cheap so I threw a couple bids on it and got it at $260. No one sniped it at the end and the next think I know I own it. :surprised3:

Now what!!!????!!!!

I'm afraid it's not QUITE as colorful a story as yours . . . . . . laying in bed with the laptop ready to nod off and for some reason I did an ebay search on 111s and this saw popped up with less than 5 minutes on the bid. It seemed cheap so I threw a couple bids on it and got it at $260. No one sniped it at the end and the next think I know I own it. :surprised3:

Now what!!!????!!!!
Post some pics.... And we'll go from there ;)

Well, if you can find a jug, go for it, I guess. What does the piston look like? You're gonna have hell finding that air box cover I think. I guess that's an OK price for a 111S, even rough like that. Be a fun saw to paint/restore except for the unobtainium parts. What happened to the screen on the flywheel cover? I dunno....be tempted to part that one out for the $$. Depends on how badly you want a 111S fixed up & running. I'm not even sure what I'd do if it were mine..lol!

You could find a better 111S and keep this as a parts donor.......

Kevin.

Latest posts

Back