Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent my Labor Day running the roads after an old Jonsereds. I made a 250 mile round trip down to Londonderry NH and I picked up this 910EV for $60. It runs great, but the heated handles don't seem to heat. A good project for a cold day this winter.View attachment 446096 View attachment 446097

Nice score Eric, congrats!! Oh hell yeah...I would have driven even further at that price. I drove all the way to Seattle for a dubious bike sale.

There was a generator coil on the 910 eBay site for a long time....I assume it's gone now. Might be the switch though or something else. You guys love those heated handles back there.....

Upper right hand corner above the sticker, recoil cover...what's that bolt and self-locking nut about?

Kevin

Nice score Eric. congrats!! Oh hell yeah...I would have driven even further at that price. I drove all the way to Seattle for a dubious bike sale.

There was a generator coil on the 910 eBay site for a long time....I assume it's gone now. Might be the switch though or something else. You guys love those heated handles back there.....

Upper right hand corner above the sticker, recoil cover...what's that bolt and self-locking nut about?

Kevin

We like the heat because it gets COLD!!!!!!

As for that bolt, the head of it has the end of the recoil spring around it. I'm assuming it used to have a stud cast into the cover that was broken off at some point. I'll either find a shorter one or cut that one down a little. I don't want it to catch and rip my britches!

I may never have the pleasure of trying a heated handle....very rare bird out here. When I was loggin' in the winters of CO, I wore cotton faller gloves and the first half hr was pretty miserable, but then we were working so hard it was never a bother until you had to stop for a bit like lunch. This was down to -30F or so. I don't think my circulation could do that anymore at my age and I'm not anxious to try!

My 910 is in pieces, so I'll take a look inside the recoil cover and see what it's supposed to have.....I'm curious now if this is another weak point in the saw.

Kevin

I spent my Labor Day running the roads after an old Jonsereds. I made a 250 mile round trip down to Londonderry NH and I picked up this 910EV for $60. It runs great, but the heated handles don't seem to heat. A good project for a cold day this winter.View attachment 446096 View attachment 446097

Excellent score Eric!!! 910 EV has been on my list for quite some time......patience.....

Nice line up of heated saws....I have only a couple 521Es in the runner list...but in the build list is a 630V in very similar condition to yours and a 451EV that is very mint too......time......

PB has a very nice 910EV too......I really liked that saw......

I took a pic of the stock, recoil spring post on the 910....I sent the pics to my email and hr ago. Still waiting for them......lol.

Post it up when I get it. It looks kinda like an old fashioned ice cream cone laying on its side(one scoop..lol). I don't remember my geometry shapes....

Kevin

ATT_1441846880072_NCM_0298.JPG

This is the piece that is broken. Someone drilled a hole and put an allen head cap screw through from the inside to hook the spring over.

View attachment 446546

Yeah, I figured that's what you had to have broken. Other than finding another cover, I guess you just have to be inventive. I hate to see something sticking out like that.

Maybe a small carriage bolt from the outside in and then shape a nut on the inside...secure with LocTite....I dunno. If I went to the hardware store and looked at a whole bunch of fasteners, I could think of something. Small enough, you could be inventive with a Dremel.

Kevin

Here's a couple pics of my running 910E....prettier now than when I got it.....LOL!! Do have a NOS 910EV top handle for it but haven't put it on yet.....perhaps I'm stihl waiting for a 910EV to put it on...LOL!!! Eric you OK with that fixed cover?? Looks pretty good...... I might have an extra that's not broken but would look way more "experienced".....let me know.....

910E pics 001.JPG 910E pics 002.JPG 910E pics 003.JPG 910E pics 004.JPG 910E pics 007.JPG

Very cherry 910, Robin!! Muffler & clutch cover look almost new.

Those bolts in the rear handle iron rust like they're welded. I still haven't gotten mine off after the first attempt. But....I abandoned the project for now.

Hey, you've got that old-style Oregon bar with the replacement sprocket nose that has the half-moon, three rivet pattern. I need a bunch of those tips in .404 to support my old bars....grrrr!

Guy named Jay(sawgarage) that was a member here has a five gal bucket of them. Talked about him in a Husky thread on the 'other' site...the guys say he's a hoarder flake. It would have been better if I hadn't seen the bucket pic, but he promised some......

Kevin

Here's a couple pics of my running 910E....prettier now than when I got it.....LOL!! Do have a NOS 910EV top handle for it but haven't put it on yet.....perhaps I'm stihl waiting for a 910EV to put it on...LOL!!! Eric you OK with that fixed cover?? Looks pretty good...... I might have an extra that's not broken but would look way more "experienced".....let me know.....

View attachment 446576 View attachment 446577 View attachment 446578 View attachment 446579 View attachment 446580

I'm OK with it for now, but thanks for the offer. I'll get the heat up and running before I do anything else, and then I might just run it some.
Well, it's 20 degrees cooler today than it was yesterday. If this keeps up, I'll need those handles working soon!!!

I'm OK with it for now, but thanks for the offer. I'll get the heat up and running before I do anything else, and then I might just run it some.
Well, it's 20 degrees cooler today than it was yesterday. If this keeps up, I'll need those handles working soon!!!

Yeah I could live with the bolt with the rest in good paint and fair sticker rather than lots of mag showing from wear and tear......as long as the fix works good.....but let me know I've been hoarding 910 stuff.....

Very cherry 910, Robin!! Muffler & clutch cover look almost new.

Those bolts in the rear handle iron rust like they're welded. I still haven't gotten mine off after the first attempt. But....I abandoned the project for now.

Hey, you've got that old-style Oregon bar with the replacement sprocket nose that has the half-moon, three rivet pattern. I need a bunch of those tips in .404 to support my old bars....grrrr!

Guy named Jay(sawgarage) that was a member here has a five gal bucket of them. Talked about him in a Husky thread on the 'other' site...the guys say he's a hoarder flake. It would have been better if I hadn't seen the bucket pic, but he promised some......

Kevin

I've got a couple of those bars with many hrs on em........that 2 foot one came in on a west coast something er other......might have been a 66E or 90 can't remember.....I dressed it and put it on the 910 as I had a couple 28" red oak stems to turn into firewood......

The muffler is new....I got the louver in a bunch of NOS Jonsereds parts.......didn't have a clue as to what it went to...until I saw a complete WC 910 muffler at Sawagain for long dollars......he also had a NOS WC muffler without the louver for like $35.00.....think he wanted $65 or $70 for the complete one....LOL!! I grabbed it!!! The muffler that came on the saw I don't think was original as it was way more "experienced" looking than the rest of the saw.......the clutch cover I got from Northwoods...used.... but damn little...even still had the plastic block out piece for the absent chain brake.....$28.00 I think.....

Here's a couple pics when I first got the 910 going......cheep, easy fix ebay saw....non running... no B&C.....had it running perfect in less than an hr.......heat shrink tubing is my friend!!!!! Check out the chain catcher......this saw has/had very little time on it........

001.JPG 005.JPG 004.JPG 007.JPG

Back