Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have an opinion on those little M-36 top handle saws? There's a cheap one on ebay I'm looking at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-M36-vintage-chainsaw-/321865708501?hash=item4af0b0f3d5

That's a Frontier chainsaw made in BC. EMAB marketed those saws under various brands including Jonsered, Pioneer, Husky and a bunch of others. I had a nice Husky version that I fixed up and sold. It ran as it should and had good compression but my opinion of it was that it was a total dog. I had a little 33cc Poulan at the same time in fairly rough shape that would cut circles around that saw.

I guess if you were wanting as a Jonsered curiosity it would be OK but I don't think you will be impressed by any part of it.

Some guys seem to think they're OK.

That's a question that you will never get an honest answer to.

Well, I'll give an honest answer if someone was willing to send me a few of those hot-shot saws for about a month when I have a timber job again. Call it a 'field test'...lol

One of the guys on the 'other' site in the Husky thread, is taking some rebuilt 2100's down to Belize to cut jungle trees...I find that very interesting. He's a huge proponent of juicing all the saws, large & small. Depending on how much those 2100's are modified, they may not have the longevity he thinks they will.

Kevin

That's a Frontier chainsaw made in BC. EMAB marketed those saws under various brands including Jonsered, Pioneer, Husky and a bunch of others. I had a nice Husky version that I fixed up and sold. It ran as it should and had good compression but my opinion of it was that it was a total dog. I had a little 33cc Poulan at the same time in fairly rough shape that would cut circles around that saw.

I guess if you were wanting as a Jonsered curiosity it would be OK but I don't think you will be impressed by any part of it.

Some guys seem to think they're OK.

Thanks Tim, I like a small top handle saw for using around the mill to cut some slabs and trim the logs for sawing. I have a little Stihl 015 and thought this might be a good backup. Maybe I'll wait for a better candidate.

If you're looking for an old school top handle that really rips see if you can pick up a Poulan S25CVA (38cc) saw. fairly good AV and these little saws really rip. I know Jonsered carried a Poulan 25 but I'm not sure of the model number.
They also come in Craftsman colors. They're usually inexpensive and you will like it.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...81fd7e2d6f5cdc7988256bfa00189277?OpenDocument

Failing that, the 38cc Poulan AV Micros are very good saws as well.

Found the Jonsered Lil Jon 25. Non AV and they vibrate like a jack hammer. Fast cutters though.

If you're looking for an old school top handle that really rips see if you can pick up a Poulan S25CVA (38cc) saw. fairly good AV and these little saws really rip. I know Jonsered carried a Poulan 25 but I'm not sure of the model number.
They also come in Craftsman colors. They're usually inexpensive and you will like it.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...81fd7e2d6f5cdc7988256bfa00189277?OpenDocument

Failing that, the 38cc Poulan AV Micros are very good saws as well.

Found the Jonsered Lil Jon 25. Non AV and they vibrate like a jack hammer. Fast cutters though.

Yep the S 25's are the better of the non-Jonsereds, Jonsereds.........and they do cut good...as well as the aforementioned vibrational thing I will add that mine is the absolute loudest saw I own.....just plain nasty sounding...the pitch is just plain eardrum shattering........

007.JPG 006.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG

That's a pretty early 25. Very nice shape.

It is in good shape and runs very well now. It sat a long time before I got it.......needed carb cleaning in the US....new duckbill ....new fuel line.....It took nearly 18" of line and was about the biggest pain in the butt I ever had for a simple fuel line.......fish it through here, around that, over this.....down around there........gggggggggrrrrrrrrr.......

I've seen a LOT of little saws in people's garages...should of paid more attention, I guess...lol I think I've seen more Craftsman than anything else....of course those were just rebadged from whomever was really making them. And if like their tools, that changed over the yrs....

Kevin

Some of them sure surprised me. No place in felling but they can hack through firewood pretty fast.

This guy liked his Homelite Super EZ

The first top handle I ever ran was a homelite Super XL, still have the pieces in a box somewhere.

I bid on an interesting saw several evenings ago, a top handled Husky 32!!! Never saw one before but it reminded me of my 015L.

Some of them sure surprised me. No place in felling but they can hack through firewood pretty fast.

This guy liked his Homelite Super EZ

Absolutely amazing...that guy was a stud. I've even seen them stand on the top cut and wave...with the tree still moving! They tried to talk me into that in OR...but 1 week later one of the guys took a spill going down and broke both his legs. Trees on the coast then had to be high-topped because they were so tall and the breakage would be too great in one piece.

They truly were a breed onto their own. All of us guys on the shows thought high-toppers were crazy. No worse than walkin' the high steel, I guess.

With those sideburns, have to be 70's film?

Kevin

Check again there is another one.

LOL!!! So there is!!!......but I only need one.....been looking for two-three years for a rim drive drum....the one on my 111S is a near new spur type in .404 but I only have a three foot bar in .404........three is cool but not all that handy if you don't have 30" and up wood......be nice to put 3/8' bars on it.......as I said thanks again!!

Back