Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!!! So there is!!!......but I only need one.....been looking for two-three years for a rim drive drum....the one on my 111S is a near new spur type in .404 but I only have a three foot bar in .404........three is cool but not all that handy if you don't have 30" and up wood......be nice to put 3/8' bars on it.......as I said thanks again!!
Yes rim drives for these are very hard to come by. I figured a few people on here would appreciate a heads up.

I would guess '70's as well. The way the guy climbs onto the top just gives me the creeps. One slip and it's all over.

The camera guy must have been pretty good as well as those cameras were very heavy.

I've actually seen those guys slip, catch themselves and keep going up. How much of a close call it was and how much they were really in control, I dunno. I used to watch those guys come down too...some take pride in going down like missiles. Always made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Yeah, give some major kudos to the camera work! I'm not sure how they even did it unless it was with a crane. I'm really curious about that part because he was right there.

Kevin

Any interest in this 521? I am moving and can't take it all, runs and idles but is missing both switches (on- off and heater) can't tell you much more about it $65 and the ride for the head.

Attachments

• 521 Jonsered (2).JPG
    521 Jonsered (2).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 521 Jonsered (3).JPG
    521 Jonsered (3).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00271.JPG
    DSC00271.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00272.JPG
    DSC00272.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00273.JPG
    DSC00273.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00274.JPG
    DSC00274.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 18
Absolutely amazing...that guy was a stud. I've even seen them stand on the top cut and wave...with the tree still moving! They tried to talk me into that in OR...but 1 week later one of the guys took a spill going down and broke both his legs. Trees on the coast then had to be high-topped because they were so tall and the breakage would be too great in one piece.

They truly were a breed onto their own. All of us guys on the shows thought high-toppers were crazy. No worse than walkin' the high steel, I guess.

With those sideburns, have to be 70's film?

Kevin

Yup, definitely a stud. I remember, at a competition/ show somewhere in WA, seeing a guy doing an act: He climbed the pole, stood on top, opened a beer and drank it. After weaving around a bit, he fell off and slid down a long guy line he'd clandestinely clipped into. I heard a couple of weeks later that he'd died doing the same act. This was in about '81 when I lived in WA.

I've topped plenty of trees doing arborist work, but that ain't the same as what the real man in the movie was doing.

Yup, definitely a stud. I remember, at a competition/ show somewhere in WA, seeing a guy doing an act: He climbed the pole, stood on top, opened a beer and drank it. After weaving around a bit, he fell off and slid down a long guy line he'd clandestinely clipped into. I heard a couple of weeks later that he'd died doing the same act. This was in about '81 when I lived in WA.

I've topped plenty of trees doing arborist work, but that ain't the same as what the real man in the movie was doing.

I have always had a fear of heights and I thought...briefly....that might cure it. Luckily for me, that guy got hurt and gave me some pause......lol!

Kevin

I wondered about that as well but, if you have a look at the beginning of the vid there's a large tree close beside the one he cut. They made have limbed that one to start. The pic at the end taken high up may be from a helicopter or another big tree.

I always wondered when you'd see these mountain climbers being filmed how the camera man with his boat anchor equipment managed to get up the same cliff and shoot vids.

I wondered about that as well but, if you have a look at the beginning of the vid there's a large tree close beside the one he cut. They made have limbed that one to start. The pic at the end taken high up may be from a helicopter or another big tree.

I always wondered when you'd see these mountain climbers being filmed how the camera man with his boat anchor equipment managed to get up the same cliff and shoot vids.

But it looks like the camera man is following him up....rather than panning in on him and following him up from a stationary position. And there's no jiggle from the camera really....I dunno. Yeah, the film at the end is definitely a heli that's panned in & out.

The Bear Grylls stuff is all shot with at least one cameraman doing exactly what he is...only he's got equipment. So in a way, their task is harder.

*OK....I think I got this thing figured out. There's a Part 2 of this that is the same thing, but with much longer footage. It shows him limbin' the whole things as he climbs. And they even talk to him a bit at the end.....starts off with him smoking a cig after he made his cut...then goes back to the beginning. If you look at the credits, there are lots of climbers and cameramen. So I've been thinking one cameraman all this time but there are many for the different shots.....lot of additional climbers too. They just edited everything in smooth....what they were calling "special effects" in the credits...lol

They're also calling it a 'spar pole' which is a nickname for trees they used to anchor to for the high-lead riggin'. Did some of that BS myself and glad I got away from it...lol

Kevin

Kinda looks that way....I don't think that's a conventional safety line. That pic could easily be from the 60's....in fact I'm betting it is. I've never head of that on a show, but high-toppin' was always a very specialized field. Just like heli harvesting is today.

Kevin

It looks like some kinda plastic hose, but still, draggin' anything straight up in the air like that would feel like an anvil with enough hose out. I've never seen a pneumatic chainsaw in the flesh....interesting animal.

Kevin

Well, this ain't a saw, but it's Jonsereds...

$90 shipped to my door. Two NOS ignition coils for 621's in there, along with countless NOS/NLA gaskets screws, springs, etc. for the 52, 621, 70, 80, and 90.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSEREDS-Sweden-Chainsaw-Parts-Lot-NOS-Dealer-Display-Storage-Case-Box-Sign/221854371192?_trksid=p2059210.c100148.m2813&_trkparms=ao=1&asc=20140127102845&meid=c1e179bd2b094cbd898e9e32fdc24e61&pid=100148&

Nice!!! I've always wanted some of those 'sets'. Coil for the 621 will work on a 80/90 too, I believe.

Sweet bunch of parts.....if ya ever get tired of looking at it, let me know....lol

Kevin

Back