Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have every intention of dipping this well as soon as I complete enough of my honey-do list. As you can see from my sig, I have quite a few qualified patients.....

Oh hell yeah....I'd be all over that parts box as well. The last thing it would be in my world, is some sorta 'display' piece. Hell, that chain stopper is probably worth $15 on the bay and that's just one piece.

I think Robin scored one of these too and posted pics here? In any event, I've certainly seen that same sorta parts box posted before. Damn nice bit of kit.....

Kevin

The seller may not be too knowledgeable. The chain is on backwards.

Yeah, that's why I said I have a bad gut feeling about that saw....he's probably flipping it from a estate sale or maybe it was given to him without the B&C on etc.

And I don't think you're gonna get any good info on the saw from him, if you ask questions. I'm workin' a deal on an older Husky, so I won't be buying anything else for quite a while.

Kevin

Here's a 621 for sale. My gut tell me not to bid a lot on this one. Clutch problems for sure and not any description other than that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-621-Chainsaw-

Kevin

I'm going against popular opinion on this one. It appears to be complete with no major repairs (OK, I didn't zoom in & closely examine every photo), and apparently it runs. Who's to say the spinning chain at idle isn't an easy fix?

I can understand the hesitation if older Jreds are common in your area. Around Houston (and Texas in general from what I gather) Jonsered(s) saws are nearly unheard of. Over the past five years I've seen two in person (I bought the 2171) and maybe three or four on Craig's List.

Of course the saw could be a money pit waiting to be dug.

I'm going against popular opinion on this one. It appears to be complete with no major repairs (OK, I didn't zoom in & closely examine every photo), and apparently it runs. Who's to say the spinning chain at idle isn't an easy fix?

I can understand the hesitation if older Jreds are common in your area. Around Houston (and Texas in general from what I gather) Jonsered(s) saws are nearly unheard of. Over the past five years I've seen two in person (I bought the 2171) and maybe three or four on Craig's List.

Of course the saw could be a money pit waiting to be dug.

That's very true...in areas where you don't see J'reds, it's sometimes prudent to take a chance.....as long as you don't pay a LOT. Clutch may be as easy as the shoes are rusted to the drum....more than likely there is an air leak/carb issue and the saw just stays at fast idle. What I'm saying is that you probably won't get any helpful info from this seller. If the saw goes for well under $100, it might be just the thing for ya. Even at a $100, you'll get more than that in usable parts. And we're here to support your repair efforts!

Kevin

Oh hell yeah....I'd be all over that parts box as well. The last thing it would be in my world, is some sorta 'display' piece. Hell, that chain stopper is probably worth $15 on the bay and that's just one piece.

I think Robin scored one of these too and posted pics here? In any event, I've certainly seen that same sorta parts box posted before. Damn nice bit of kit.....

Kevin

Yep I have two actually....nice boxes...easy to find what you want....would like a couple more.......got many cardboard boxes full of misc. NOS parts it's a pain to find something I need and know I have but can't remember which box it may be in......paw through the piles......it sucks I tell ya......LOL!!!

Personally I would not be to worried about that 621...as was said it looks to be all there.....but is well used...might be fine ...might be just parts......all good if it can be had cheap enough......got one of those early Oregon bars and the chain looks fairly long of tooth........'course hard to wear it out being on backwards too........

Yep I have two actually....nice boxes...easy to find what you want....would like a couple more.......

Where do you find them? I admit that I just lucked my way into this on Ebay. Do you happen to know what they're officially called? Old Jonny dealers are a rarity on the west coast, but I'd love to ask my dad to keep an eye out in his area....

Yep I have two actually....nice boxes...easy to find what you want....would like a couple more.......got many cardboard boxes full of misc. NOS parts it's a pain to find something I need and know I have but can't remember which box it may be in......paw through the piles......it sucks I tell ya......LOL!!!

Personally I would not be to worried about that 621...as was said it looks to be all there.....but is well used...might be fine ...might be just parts......all good if it can be had cheap enough......got one of those early Oregon bars and the chain looks fairly long of tooth........'course hard to wear it out being on backwards too........

I've got the same problem....thinking about going with multiple plastic tubs....hate looking for Husky & J'red parts in the same tub bin...insane. I might even get more tubs and do it by model...lol! But then I'd have to stack & un-stack etc.

Yeah, let your fingers do the walking through those kit parts....pretty awesome way to go.

Got a lot of those 70's Oregon bars....no .404 tips to be found anymore.:-(

Kevin

Where do you find them? I admit that I just lucked my way into this on Ebay. Do you happen to know what they're officially called? Old Jonny dealers are a rarity on the west coast, but I'd love to ask my dad to keep an eye out in his area....

Even if you get the 'correct' name, that doesn't mean the seller will know and list it correctly. Plus....I doubt they come up very often anyway....you might wait yrs. Best chance for those kits was when the original dealers folded.

Kevin

Well aren't we just Debbie Downer....... ;)

Sorry dude.......lol!! That's a real rare find by anyone's standards, don't be a hog and want more...lol. Seriously though....I did see some on eBay some yrs ago and thought they were outrageously priced then. In retrospect, they probably weren't that bad, now that everything is NLA for the older J'reds.

Kevin

PB gave me the first one......he got two off ebay from the same seller for $60.00 with some parts in both......he gave me one and we divided the parts according to need. The other I bought off ebay for $50.00 delivered with about the same amount of odd parts. The one you bought has been on ebay for quite a while off and on.. He had quite a price on it....$100.00 BIN......but I see in the listing he finally got tired of sitting on it and add the best offer option....I don't know what they would be called......"Dealer small parts bin" I guess....

...in areas where you don't see J'reds, it's sometimes prudent to take a chance.....as long as you don't pay a LOT.

Kevin

Most of my Jreds I got from eBay as multiple saw deals; I don't think that sellers now offer bundle deals as nearly as often as some of them they used to. I don't recall buying any of them as individual saws, other than the 2171 that I lucked into locally (fortunately the pawn shop didn't know just what they had). The prices were pretty good when I add the winning bid plus the shipping, divided by the number of saws.

I did buy a 49SP from a fellow ASer. And I might've made some trades here (my memory is crap because at the time I joined AS I was drinking very heavily).

Another factor is a couple of the eBay sellers considered old dirty chainsaws not worth researching or testing. One of those deals turned out to be 670WC and a 801 (both were caked with at least 1/4 inch of old chainsaw grunge). Another yielded a 625 that just needed a little attention to free the stuck piston. In the listing the seller said "they act like they might run," which was interesting since every saw was completed clogged up with many years of barn grunge!

Most of my Jreds I got from eBay as multiple saw deals; I don't think that sellers now offer bundle deals as nearly as often as some of them they used to. I don't recall buying any of them as individual saws, other than the 2171 that I lucked into locally (fortunately the pawn shop didn't know just what they had). The prices were pretty good when I add the winning bid plus the shipping, divided by the number of saws.

I did buy a 49SP from a fellow ASer. And I might've made some trades here (my memory is crap because at the time I joined AS I was drinking very heavily).

Another factor is a couple of the eBay sellers considered old dirty chainsaws not worth researching or testing. One of those deals turned out to be 670WC and a 801 (both were caked with at least 1/4 inch of old chainsaw grunge). Another yielded a 625 that just needed a little attention to free the stuck piston. In the listing the seller said "they act like they might run," which was interesting since every saw was completed clogged up with many years of barn grunge!

My best runnin' J'red is what I call the 'Arkansas saw'...a 90. Non-runner I took a chance on. Like the ones you mention, it was caked in dirt. A quick glance in the box and I let 'er sit for nearly 8 months. When I finally got to it, it cleaned and was a low hr saw with molasses gas varnish in the tank. Even though it was low hrs, he managed to strip out a few bolt holes and one of the bar stud holes was completely stripped out. Turned out to be one sweeeet runner in the stable. I say if they are cheap enough, why not take the risk? Price of used parts being what they are....you can always recover your investment that way if the case is cracked etc.

Kevin

No, but I see them occasionally on eBay. A lot more often than say a 80/90 case gasket. In fact, right before I decided to buy my 910, I saw an entire OE set on eBay....I'm still kicking myself I didn't buy it anyway...even before I decided to buy the 910. You'll always get your money back on stuff like that if you decide not to use it.

Kevin

Hey guys, since we were just talking about these...check these out....same seller...best offer......listed shipping is steep but if you check the shipping options......you can get it cheaper....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jon...S-parts-1-3-/141791207915?hash=item21036a21eb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jon...S-parts-2-3-/141791208590?hash=item21036a248e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jon...S-parts-3-3-/141791208851?hash=item21036a2593

Those listings caught my eye. The seller might be motivated to accept much lower BIN prices if the he only had to ship to one person.

Latest posts

Back