Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I see what you're doing now. I have a couple of pairs of those release pliers; one you squeeze to release out, one you squeeze to release in. But not to be confused with auto internal, external snap ring pliers. Really small...barely fit in your hand.....I have no idea where I got them. I could post a pic of them if you like, but they're so old I have no source.

Also in a pinch, if you find just the right slot screwdriver blade, you can work it in there and turn to release the clips.

Kevin

I ordered the tool made by the company that makes the clips (Seeger). Always good to have an excuse to buy more hardware!

How is the 111 coming along? I got lucky a few days ago and found a used 111 flywheel online; one of mine has a trashed one.

Lately I've been spending too much time on a 621 that's been on the bench (same one with the retaining clip issue). Complete disassembly minus splitting the case. Piston and jug cleanup. New Caber rings. Carb rebuild and new fuel lines, of course. When it's all said and done, I'll have way too much time and $ invested in a saw that may bring $300 if I'm lucky.

I ordered the tool made by the company that makes the clips (Seeger). Always good to have an excuse to buy more hardware!

How is the 111 coming along? I got lucky a few days ago and found a used 111 flywheel online; one of mine has a trashed one.

Lately I've been spending too much time on a 621 that's been on the bench (same one with the retaining clip issue). Complete disassembly minus splitting the case. Piston and jug cleanup. New Caber rings. Carb rebuild and new fuel lines, of course. When it's all said and done, I'll have way too much time and $ invested in a saw that may bring $300 if I'm lucky.

You may be surprised on that 621....especially if it has a lot of original paint left. Albeit, I haven’t been following their sales on eBay. One of the greatest all-time J’reds ever made. I don’t follow the under 80cc J’reds prices like I should, except for an occasional peek at the 70E.

The 621 always has at least four pages devoted to it on eBay. I think it sold very well to those that could afford it at the time and the parts still available reflect that. A 621 should be in every collection of true J’reds.

I’m stalled on the 111S until I can find the Oregon floating drum sprocket #20192. I won’t run the saw with that spur drive. If I find the drum, I can go fwd on the saw.

Kevin

You may be surprised on that 621....especially if it has a lot of original paint left. Albeit, I haven’t been following their sales on eBay. One of the greatest all-time J’reds ever made. I don’t follow the under 80cc J’reds prices like I should, except for an occasional peek at the 70E.

The 621 always has at least four pages devoted to it on eBay. I think it sold very well to those that could afford it at the time and the parts still available reflect that. A 621 should be in every collection of true J’reds.

I’m stalled on the 111S until I can find the Oregon floating drum sprocket #20192. I won’t run the saw with that spur drive. If I find the drum, I can go fwd on the saw.

Kevin

The 20192 sprockets are out there. I'm pretty sure I have found those on eBay before.

The 20192 sprockets are out there. I'm pretty sure I have found those on eBay before.

I'll keep looking.....all I can do...lol. Here was the response back from an Oregon representative;
Oregon does not offer these replacement products. This may be something you will go back to the manufacturer.

Yeah, contact the now defunct Jonsereds division and ask about a decades old defunct drum sprocket. Maybe someone should tell Oregon about Jonsered's status...lol.

Kevin

I don't know what the Jonsereds number would be, because they all seem to indicate the spur drive drum for the 111S. The Oregon 20192 drum replaces the factory spur drive. If Jonsereds had a # for the floating drum sprocket, I'm all ears?

As far as I can tell, the last two Oregon 20192's sold last yr on eBay from the same seller.

Kevin

Here is the case of beer 451ev back in action. Heated handles working and has fast become my buddies favorite. I guess we won't flip this one. Stihls seem easier to sell!

Still need a top cover but otherwise no spark condition was the switch. Fuel line was rotted off so carb needed a thorough cleaning. I have to say I never had much interest in these but it's kind of a little hot rod. 20°F might have influenced my interest.

The 451 is a very interesting saw...they were originally designed as a high speed limbing saw....very good balance and note that there is no provision what so ever for felling/bucking dogs to be mounted. A pro saw all the way...also the only saws I've seen besides the 70E that came Nordfeller ready from the factory. The only 4XX saw worth a crap IMHO....I have several Es and EVs in excellent condition just waiting for me to find the time to reassemble....

I have some learning to do there. The 451 spins up great and is almost as light and nimble as a modern limber. It has less torque then the 52 so I'd like to see what the difference is internally. Other than the hk carb. My guess is the port timing could make some hint to improving the 52. But who in their right mind is going to port a 52?

I don't know what the Jonsereds number would be, because they all seem to indicate the spur drive drum for the 111S. The Oregon 20192 drum replaces the factory spur drive. If Jonsereds had a # for the floating drum sprocket, I'm all ears?

As far as I can tell, the last two Oregon 20192's sold last yr on eBay from the same seller.

Kevin

I picked up one on Ebay a while back......my 111S came to me with the original spur drive in .404....in good shape but I wanted the ability to change to 3/8" chain so as to run some of my other 10mm bars.....having only a 36" bar kinda limits what you can use the saw for.....anyway found exactly what I was looking for....a new rim drive drum with new .404 and 3/8 rims.....$35 delivered if I remember...so they are out there....don't remember if it was Jonsereds or Oregon....probably Oregon.....might have even been the same seller you mention.....

I have some learning to do there. The 451 spins up great and is almost as light and nimble as a modern limber. It has less torque then the 52 so I'd like to see what the difference is internally. Other than the hk carb. My guess is the port timing could make some hint to improving the 52. But who in their right mind is going to port a 52?

Ummm......well.....I have one 52E that runs a 24" .325 full chisel purdy durn strong....

Though open port, the 451 has a much different piston....similar to a Husky 61 or Jred 625....not a windowed piston but what I call a slab sided piston which is open up the sides around the wrist pin bosses nearly up to the ring.....also it is a more modern single ring piston rather than the conventional two ring 52 piston.

Speaking of which I built one 49sp using a 52 two ring piston and thrust washers/wristpin bearing in the 49cyl.....with some grinding.....it is a pretty impressive saw too....I think the crown is a tad taller on the 52 piston than the crown on the 49 piston......

Kevin

Kevin.....the OEM Jonsereds numbers are as follows......spur drum 504 52 00 01 The rim drive drum is 504 52 31 00 according to my 111s IPL....

Moving the roof of the exhaust port up 0.007- 0.010" and remove about the same from the bottom of the piston skirt at the intake port is a real easy way to wake up a 52/52E a tad......don't expect miracles......but better is better.....boosts the rpm up some without sacrificing torque....

Scott......did you get that 110 yet? Was wondering about the needle bearing thing.....

Kevin

Kevin -

Yes, I have it. But I just took a quick look at it and put it on the shelf. Have a Echo twin that I'm finishing up, the 621 that needs to go back together, the XD and 601 on eBay now, the 084 that needs to be shipped to Florida today, and I'm leaving for Italy on Tuesday for about 10 days, picking up my '72 Alfa Romeo...

Hope to have more details by Christmas...of 2019....:confused:

Hey I just got a 920. Do these things blow up? I heard sometimes they do. Like to flywheel nut loosens or some such rumour.

Nothing I've ever heard peculiar to the 900 series of saws in this respect. Of course a PO could very easily 'sabotage' any saw with numbnut fixes/repairs......or some kooky oil mix.

Kevin

Back