Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, people don't realize how long 'muscle cars' languished around with no value....and all the HS kids that bought them used and thrashed them thoroughly to death. There was a Yenko 427 Camaro that sat in my hometown dealership for so long that it was hauled away to auction....everytime we went in to look at it, someone had stolen another small part off it...if it survived, it has probably sold for a half million dollars by now....lol. Or the age old argument about the 426 versus the 440 six-pack. If you've run them both with the same rear end and a 4spd, you'd know the answer to that question. Of course a lot later on depended on how you modded them. But generally, the Hemi kept building power until you ran outa hwy...lol. You don't want a 426 Hemi with solid lifters though, unless your a masochist for adjusting your valve clearance continually. Best thing Mopar ever did was put hydraulic lifters on that beast in '70.

Kevin

WHO bought that for $8,000.....Japanese tourists? Somebody famous die in it?

Kevin

I don't remember his name but is money was good.

The story of that van is long and funny, but I think the guy who towed it away summed it up best. He asked me how much I got for it and then how much I paid for it, all very politely, and when I answered that I didn't pay anything for it, he let out a laugh and said "and I always heard Vermonters were dumb!".

Ok, so these are Type G grip rings, looks like they're invented by a company named Seeger, and there's a proprietary set of pliers that you need to remove them. https://www.seeger-orbis.com/products/assembly-tools/ring-pliers/

Anyway, I was able to get the original ones off by using brute strength, but I broke the tips off doing so. And when I tried to get some clips off another flywheel to replace the broken ones, I failed. These suckers are on there good!

I eventually managed to put the boogered up ones back on the saw and they'll work fine. It just bugs me because they're busted up a bit.

I ended up ordering the correct Seeger pliers to do the job. Or at least I thought I did. Here's what I ended up with -

As you can see, I bent one of the tips. And at $65 for the pliers (shipping from Europe was more expensive than the pliers) these suckers weren't cheap, either!

However, I think this was probably operator error -- I was using the ZGA-0 pliers - https://www.123bearing.com/accessory-mounting-clamps-ZGA-0-SEEGER.php - and I think these are one size too small.

So, to determine which pliers I need, I need to know the dimensions on the clips that I have -- details here -- http://data.seeger-orbis.de/catalog/?page=60. Once I know what clips I have, I can order the right pliers. FYI - the Jonsereds part number is 735 61 60-40.

And here's my request for help -- I'm in Italy for 10 days or so and away from my saws. Can someone please take some calipers and measure the outside diameter of rod that the starter pawls mount on a 621 flywheel in mm? Once I have that, I'll be able to identify the clip and will then order the correct pliers.

I'll help ya Scott. I'll also post pics of the tools I bought that seem stout enough to have always done this job. I might be wrong, but it seems those posts are always the same size on the older saws.....dunno that for a fact though.

You want the dimension in mm or US? From their lit, looks like you want dimension d1.

Kevin

I'll help ya Scott. I'll also post pics of the tools I bought that seem stout enough to have always done this job. I might be wrong, but it seems those posts are always the same size on the older saws.....dunno that for a fact though.

You want the dimension in mm or US? From their lit, looks like you want dimension d1.

Kevin

Kevin -

In mm, please. Yes, I'm looking for dimension D1.

Thanks!

Scott

Scott,
Right off my 621; post dimeter is 6.91-6.92mm (d1) and the slot is 6.59-6.61mm. I tried to measure the clip inside at rest and it's about 6.58mm (d3) at its smallest.

The two tools I have are Seeger, interestingly enough. But your design is the right one; the slight ball shape on the ends are the keepers so that you can remove the clip without it sailing into the air. The one on the top of the pic is the one I use, which requires a small screwdriver to lift under the clip as soon as I spread it. The bottom tool with the spring is the right kind of tool, but the jaw points are too far apart. Same principle as internal/external snap ring pliers.
thumbnail

Kevin

Fellas -

Thanks for the details! I think these must be the 7.0 clips, with D1 of 7mm and D3 of 6.7mm.

FYI - I don't think the slot/groove was present when these were new; it was created by the tension of a hard 6.7mm clip on a 7mm aluminum post. Also, according to Seeger, their clips are designed to be used without grooves. From their website, "Seeger grip rings are designed for the assembly on shafts without a groove. Thanks to their large radial width (b) and thickness (s), the large elasticity of these rings makes them suitable for absorbing high axial forces. Parts to be secured can be installed without end play and be re-adjusted by shifting the Seeger grip rings into place. This style of grip ring is the only self-locking Seeger-Ring that can be dismantled without destroying the ring."

Kevin - looks like you have the right size -- the ZGJ1 pliers are what I need. I bought the smaller (size 0) pliers and that's too small for the 7.0 clips, according to Seeger's chart.

Ok, this has been fun! Now I need to get the right pliers on order.

Scott

Fellas -

Thanks for the details! I think these must be the 7.0 clips, with D1 of 7mm and D3 of 6.7mm.

FYI - I don't think the slot/groove was present when these were new; it was created by the tension of a hard 6.7mm clip on a 7mm aluminum post. Also, according to Seeger, their clips are designed to be used without grooves. From their website, "Seeger grip rings are designed for the assembly on shafts without a groove. Thanks to their large radial width (b) and thickness (s), the large elasticity of these rings makes them suitable for absorbing high axial forces. Parts to be secured can be installed without end play and be re-adjusted by shifting the Seeger grip rings into place. This style of grip ring is the only self-locking Seeger-Ring that can be dismantled without destroying the ring."

Kevin - looks like you have the right size -- the ZGJ1 pliers are what I need. I bought the smaller (size 0) pliers and that's too small for the 7.0 clips, according to Seeger's chart.

Ok, this has been fun! Now I need to get the right pliers on order.

Scott

I measured a couple of times....hope I gave you worthwhile dimensions. Interesting containment clips....I never saw anything like them before my interest in chainsaws. My one tool is the right size, but it should be the reverse spring type. One of the clips sailed while I was removing it.....still can't find it.

In looking at their chart, that was the only size that made sense, but I thought maybe it was too big. Are you sure those are aluminum posts.....I should try a magnet on it.....looked like steel?

Kevin

I measured a couple of times....hope I gave you worthwhile dimensions. Interesting containment clips....I never saw anything like them before my interest in chainsaws. My one tool is the right size, but it should be the reverse spring type. One of the clips sailed while I was removing it.....still can't find it.

In looking at their chart, that was the only size that made sense, but I thought maybe it was too big. Are you sure those are aluminum posts.....I should try a magnet on it.....looked like steel?

Kevin

Kevin - Actually, I think you're right. The flywheel is aluminum but I'm pretty sure the posts are cast iron.

Kevin - Actually, I think you're right. The flywheel is aluminum but I'm pretty sure the posts are cast iron.

I found the 'shooting star' clip....lucky me! I need to pull that flywheel anyway on the 621 and check the points/spark.....the reason I bought the saw cheap in the first place....lol.

Kevin

This one's running like new again. Took a $142 in parts to get it there but it's on its way home. Still needs the operator presence lever but otherwise she's good to go.

This one I would really liked to own. Maybe I can find a MS260 to trade for it. I hear they aren't worth keeping around.

This one's running like new again. Took a $142 in parts to get it there but it's on its way home. Still needs the operator presence lever but otherwise she's good to go.

This one I would really liked to own. Maybe I can find a MS260 to trade for it. I hear they aren't worth keeping around.

Cutters edge vent saw ??

Erik

Yeah Rescue saw. Never had the vent saw stuff on it. Basically just a nice 670-W

.063 .404 carbide Still the heavy bar. Kinda sucks the local guy wants $38 to sharpen it. About the same price a regular 404 chain.

Latest posts

Back