Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.....got by that and got the saw started ....seemed to run alright with a little tweeking.....put a new grind on the chain. Took it to the wood pile and run it like I stole it. Was in 20 inch ash...bar buried......cut real good for a bit but then started getting weird. Kinda over running after the cut. Ok... cleaned and kitted the carb with genuine Tollotson kit and went back outside out side and could just barely get the damn going.....Hmmmmm.....now before I first filled the tank, I pulled the inner fuel line out and looked at the filter.....real good. Took it back to the bench and removed the gas cap.....fuel line was not hooked to the line block....pulled that all out and the fuel line was ruptured.......still had the original line collars. Replaced the inner line with new and reinstalled the collars on the filter and white junction block. Took it back outside and she started up and I ran a tank through it. Little adjustments were needed .......cut through 5-6 20" ash stems and left off the gas and she returned to a perfect idle, every time. Nice saw ....good example of the legendary 621.....56cc saw that runs a 20" 3/8" full comp chisel buried hardwood with all day long with no problem and you can stand on it...even has the original spark plug cover!!

View attachment 936021View attachment 936022View attachment 936023
Is that your saw Robin, or a customer? Sweet looking 621. If you could match the top silver(never seen it done right), it would look like a new saw.

With saws over 30yrs old now, I would automatically replace the cranks seals and all the fuel & vent lines as a matter of course.

Maybe I'll finish my 621now.....lol!

Kevin

F-that thing. Throw it in the trash and buy the flocked filter and correct AF cover for it.

Kevin
Welp.......that is the correct AF cover for the 621. I agree a flocked filter is better but have to say I have and have worked on 621/80 saws that have always had the bronze filters and have no paint left on them and only went out of service due to structural damage...(cracks/crunch)....not anything to do with infiltration. The wood fines that get through these filters don't really have much effect on the internals. I find that when replacing seals there is a lot of crud on the outside of the bearings that are easily washed away with an acid brush and mix But unless you are cutting in a wind blown gravel pit these filter are fine as long as they are not damaged.......I mean they were good enough for the most advanced saw company in the world at the time ......right ?? ..right?

Is that your saw Robin, or a customer? Sweet looking 621. If you could match the top silver(never seen it done right), it would look like a new saw.

With saws over 30yrs old now, I would automatically replace the cranks seals and all the fuel & vent lines as a matter of course.

Maybe I'll finish my 621now.....lol!

Kevin
Customer ...co-worker....and I agree and if it were mine I would but it is a major expense and hiring it done will certainly exceed the value of the saw for the average consumer..........however necessary it may be..... But fortunately this guy runs perfect now...just as you would want a 621 to run.

So.......This was a struggle. Assembled the saw and went to start it....pulled kinda hard then noticed the chain moved with every pull.......pulled the B&C, put in a piston stop and removed the clutch drum. Looked like a new rim and drum but could not get it to spin like it should and the inner race that slides onto the crank was mated to the drum. Pulled this all apart......was full of this weird stuff.......looked like teflon tape......was all in around the rollers...everywhere. Finally by soaking in gas and getting after it with a tooth brush, knife and a pick got the thing cleaned up and greased so it worked like it should. Took about an hour.......petro- chemical based but weird ****....

View attachment 936017
Looks like baling twine.

Welp.......that is the correct AF cover for the 621. I agree a flocked filter is better but have to say I have and have worked on 621/80 saws that have always had the bronze filters and have no paint left on them and only went out of service due to structural damage...(cracks/crunch)....not anything to do with infiltration. The wood fines that get through these filters don't really have much effect on the internals. I find that when replacing seals there is a lot of crud on the outside of the bearings that are easily washed away with an acid brush and mix But unless you are cutting in a wind blown gravel pit these filter are fine as long as they are not damaged.......I mean they were good enough for the most advanced saw company in the world at the time ......right ?? ..right?
Yeah, we've talked about this before in here. The bore is so hard that normal sawdust without dirt seems to not affect much. BUT....with that flocked filter you'll find your carb's innards stay cleaner a LOT longer. To me, that makes it worth it.

It's an easy conversion, but the flocked filters always were expensive. I may have four or five in pristine shape and twice that many retired with missing flocking. If I ever get around to it, I'm going to reflock the bad ones.....I've got the process bookmarked although it won't equal the factory ones.

Kevin

This is funny.......same saw...LOL!!
I have a few saws with Cobbs decals too! But just the VT one. Chelsea is the next town over from me. Those were the days when we had 5 Jonsereds dealers within a half an hour, with the closest being only 2 miles away. Now I'd have to drive a half an hour to buy any saw. Does the Cobbs in Maine still exist?

I have a few saws with Cobbs decals too! But just the VT one. Chelsea is the next town over from me. Those were the days when we had 5 Jonsereds dealers within a half an hour, with the closest being only 2 miles away. Now I'd have to drive a half an hour to buy any saw. Does the Cobbs in Maine still exist?
I don't think so. Was more marine oriented but have not seen much going on there the last few years. Will take a look next time I head to the island.....this weekend perhaps.

Yep back in the 70's we had five Jonsereds dealers within a half hour drive in any direction too. All gone now and have been for years and years...
Lot of reds saws here back then. Still some of the faithful around.....I do saw work for three brothers...all Jonsereds/Jonsered fans. Have a 670 and a 2071 in the shop for complete rebuilds for the middle brother.

I know the husky handle is grey. But is what I had to use for now.

I took the 20" jonsered bar cover off wall for a pic.
Also have a S bar cover on the wall. I just keep one of each.

Down to needing a brake band and inner plastic cover. If anyone has FS. Would change to black handle if one turns up too.

j670barcoverr.jpgj670barcover.jpgj670h272.jpgjbcS.jpg

So.....got by that and got the saw started ....seemed to run alright with a little tweeking.....put a new grind on the chain. Took it to the wood pile and run it like I stole it. Was in 20 inch ash...bar buried......cut real good for a bit but then started getting weird. Kinda over running after the cut. Ok... cleaned and kitted the carb with genuine Tollotson kit and went back outside out side and could just barely get the damn going.....Hmmmmm.....now before I first filled the tank, I pulled the inner fuel line out and looked at the filter.....real good. Took it back to the bench and removed the gas cap.....fuel line was not hooked to the line block....pulled that all out and the fuel line was ruptured.......still had the original line collars. Replaced the inner line with new and reinstalled the collars on the filter and white junction block. Took it back outside and she started up and I ran a tank through it. Little adjustments were needed .......cut through 5-6 20" ash stems and left off the gas and she returned to a perfect idle, every time. Nice saw ....good example of the legendary 621.....56cc saw that runs a 20" 3/8" full comp chisel buried hardwood with all day long with no problem and you can stand on it...even has the original spark plug cover!!

View attachment 936021View attachment 936022View attachment 936023
Just ran my 49sp for a friend cutting rounds from a 22" red oak trunk. They will be coffee tables! Great saw, running a 20" bar and 3/8 full house chain.

Latest posts

Back