Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 2002 Jonsered. Used off CL.

Looks fast!

DSC_0019-3.jpg

DSC_0018-3.jpg

Last edited:
670 intake boot.

I am working on a J-red 670 and found what looks like a piece of bailing wire around the intake boot to clamp it in place. Plus the boot itself is starting to show some wear and tear. I have tried putting it back on and getting it to seal but I am not having much luck. So I know there are some 670 builders here, so any secrets or replacement parts for these. I tried to find another boot but most places just say no longer available. The part number I have is 5036113-01 for the boot. I see also from the IPL there is a clamp which I do not have. So any help would be appreciated and can maybe return a favor.

The "baling wire" was an actual Jonsered part on the early versions, then later they went to a newer boot that used a metal clamp. I recently found one of the new boots and clamps at my Husky dealer, and I'll dig up those part numbers for you.

Hey thanks cambl this is a saw I bought about 8 months ago on ebay and it started getting hard tune with the carb setting so I started looking for leaks. All my other 670's are doing great. Thanks.
So they really did use a wire twisted at the end to clamp the boot in place. Well I guess I know now I have an early one.

Yes the boot is 503611301 and the clamp is 503591601. I just bought these in May, so don't let the Husky dealer tell you they are NLA. Should cost about $15 for both.

Yes the boot is 503611301 and the clamp is 503591601. I just bought these in May, so don't let the Husky dealer tell you they are NLA. Should cost about $15 for both.

I tried those part numbers on line and could not find them. I do have a dealer local here and will try that next. Thanks.

I tried those part numbers on line and could not find them. I do have a dealer local here and will try that next. Thanks.

If you can't find them.... PM site sponsor spike60...he's a Jred dealer...if they're available he can/will get them for you...good guy to deal with Too!!

Nice! that would come in handy since those old covers cannot be had at the friendly saw shop.

Thanks. I had another forum member send some parts to me that I did alot of welding on. One of them was a crankcase to a poulan 5200 that a rod had broken and knocked a hole in it. I welded it up and seemed to turn out pretty good. The magnesium is similiar to welding aluminum but more difficult. But the nice thing about it is that you can fill holes and gaps fairly well with it. So far I have done about 8 items that needed welding from clutch covers to starter covers and crankcases. So just thought I would offer. No charge by the way.

Nice! that would come in handy since those old covers cannot be had at the friendly saw shop.

Bailey's has (had?) the clutch covers that would work on a 670, I think they're listed under the Husqvarna 266/268. The bad news is they're orange, and the regular price was $60.00.

Well, darn, I found it on Bailey's site, and in the Q&A section they say it won't work on a Jred 670. That's not what I've read :confused:.

Bailey's - Sprocket Cover with Brake for Husqvarna 61, 66 266 268 272

Well, darn, I found it on Bailey's site, and in the Q&A section they say it won't work on a Jred 670. That's not what I've read

The cover on the 266 extends back over the the top handle, which unlike the 670, is bent inward (the handle) so the cover clears. The 670 cover ends along the front edge of the handle and could be used as is on a 266. If you cut the 266 cover extension off it would work fine but wouldn't look quite the same as the 670. Or alternatively you'd have to also put a 266 top handle on the 670 (and then the 266 brake bar would line up at the same angle too, without bending it).

My 670 needs some brake hardware and I figure by the time I buy that I'd be close to the price of replacing my functional but cracked one with a $50 scratched up but complete feebay one. Other saws keep sucking down the parts funds though...

Bill

The cover on the 266 extends back over the the top handle, which unlike the 670, is bent inward (the handle) so the cover clears. The 670 cover ends along the front edge of the handle and could be used as is on a 266. If you cut the 266 cover extension off it would work fine but wouldn't look quite the same as the 670. Or alternatively you'd have to also put a 266 top handle on the 670 (and then the 266 brake bar would line up at the same angle too, without bending it).

My 670 needs some brake hardware and I figure by the time I buy that I'd be close to the price of replacing my functional but cracked one with a $50 scratched up but complete feebay one. Other saws keep sucking down the parts funds though...

Bill

Yep you can use the Husky cover if you cut the back off right along the backside of the chip chute so as to clear the handle....as said it still doesn't look quite right but will work perfectly. I had a real beat 630 come to me that someone had simply pounded the extention off with a hammer.......it was ugly!! I put it on the bandsaw and trimmed it up......rattle canned it red and used it untill I sold the saw..it's still going strong..

I sent a Jred 670 clutch cover with a bad knee-joint chainbrake (CB will engage when saw is under load) to an AS member. He's going to see if he can get it back to functioning; I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

Has anyone here replaced part number 501 87 47-01 in the newer style CB? Know if the part is still available? I've forgotten the technical name for the part, it holds the the brake arm in the off position.

Back