Just bought my first Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGoBlue

Those who stay will be champions
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Local craigslist find, he was less than 10 miles away so I had to. I figured I could recoup my money in the jug alone. Guy was the original owner and said he grabbed the wrong gas can. Cyl has a little transfer that I'm confident I can clean up. Rings were still loose but the piston is toast.
Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Rebuild and sell or possibly give it to my BIL who's a big Stihl guy. Here's some pics and maybe Y'all can give me some heads up if you notice any parts missing besides the brake lever.

Alright already!!!

It's an 038AV Magnum.
As bought:
DSC00379.JPG

DSC00380.JPG DSC00382.JPG DSC00381.JPG DSC00388.JPG DSC00387.JPG DSC00384.JPG DSC00383.JPG

Agree, clean it up and run it. You wont be disappointed.

Not so sure about that. My DD357 cut just 10ths slower in 18" pine than an 044, and I have a 394 that wooped 'em both. So where would that leave a stock 72cc? I don't think I'd use it.
The thought of building it for my BIL is really appealing to me. Gonna have to sit on it and think for a little. Let's see how well it cleans up.

And I was also wondering about that crack in the recoil cover. Is that an issue?

Putting into perspective, Ive run my 038 against my 441 it will keep up in hard oak, but not out cut. The 441 has more high end, but the 038 has the lower end torque and doesn't bogg down, both are stock saws. Im not disappointed in my 38 one bit, and its been ran through tons of wood. My one kicker is the kill switch. Id epoxy the side cover or order a new one over ebay if available.

The crack in the recoil is an issue if it affects its operation. If it doesn't, it isn't.

The best option to make a buck would be to part it but what fun is that?
The cylinder has quite a bit of transfer so I would start there and then make further decisions regarding the saws future.

The magnum version is a good find.

You have most of the saw there so probably a good candidate to repair. I'm puzzled as to why it's all in pieces though?

No bar/chain? You did ask, right? I've found that sometimes people have "extras" lying around they'll throw in or sell cheap. It takes a 3003 mount so that'll be easy to find.

Oh, you suck!

The crack in the recoil is an issue if it affects its operation. If it doesn't, it isn't.

The best option to make a buck would be to part it but what fun is that?
The cylinder has quite a bit of transfer so I would start there and then make further decisions regarding the saws future.

The magnum version is a good find.

You have most of the saw there so probably a good candidate to repair. I'm puzzled as to why it's all in pieces though?

No bar/chain? You did ask, right? I've found that sometimes people have "extras" lying around they'll throw in or sell cheap. It takes a 3003 mount so that'll be easy to find.

Oh, you suck!
Crack does not affect operation. I can run the rope no problem.

The guy grabbed the wrong gas can and straight gassed it. He was the original owner and pretty bummed but bought a new saw instead of fixing this one. Looks like he just tore it apart like a kid would. I got the impression he wasn't too mechanically inclined.
The transfer is wayy less than I have cleaned up in previous saws, so I am very confident it will clean up nice.
No b/c because he still has Stihl saw. Didn't much care for $50, he was asking 60.

Latest posts

Back