Just got my Climbing equipment, and I'm new..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustangwagz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well..i've finally gotten my climbing equipment, and i'm new to the whole climbing thing. ANy pointers, or DO's and DONT's? Imma try to avoid cuttin while in the tree for now. just mainly wanna get up there, tie to it, and then snatch block it outta the path or stuff. SO any help would be great. Thanks folks!

picture.php
or wait maybe this
picture.php
ah crap I cant decide :computer2:

haha, yah right..You oughta know better than that..your a guy..Would you stop and ask for directions if you had a relative idea on where you was goin?.. haha. I was just askin for tips on climbing. we all gotta start somewhere. i watched my uncle do it for years, but he's decesed now so i guess that aint gonna work eh?

haha, yah right..You oughta know better than that..your a guy..Would you stop and ask for directions if you had a relative idea on where you was goin?.. haha. I was just askin for tips on climbing. we all gotta start somewhere. i watched my uncle do it for years, but he's decesed now so i guess that aint gonna work eh?

Nothing against you man I hope you do great, this is an awesome career... Im just waiting for this post to meet its full potential

go online and get the tree climbers companion for like $20 bucks. It shows you what knots to use and how to do pretty much everything. I just started climbing last year and it has helped me alot with the knots and stuff. Get that and your golden. I started small and worked my way up. Stay comfortable with what your doing and SLOWLY make your way to more intense climbing. It takes time to get good at it and i learn something new every time i go up. Keep an open mind to what works well for you and go with it. When your life is on the line (no pun intended) dont settle, get the equipment that your most comfortable with. good luck and stay safe up there.

Sorry to say but you won't be doing much climbing with that equipment. A belt, spurs and a fall arrest harness are not what you need. You'll need a tree climbing saddle, a rope and one carabiner to start. Forget the spurs unless you plan on climbing poles or tree that will be removed. Don't forget a throw bag and some throw line too.

climbing

Yea..... I think you should resell the stuff you bought and buy the right tools. I also think that you should at least work with somebody that has experience, or stay very close to the ground like on it and do your homework on tree climbing.

I think that if your goal is the removal of your own trees by putting a bull rope in them and putting the whole tree on the ground then you have a sufficient setup. I would not like to see you hire out trimming with this setup, but it will work for removals. I guess working low and learning to trust your gear is my advice. The tree climbers companion is a must and I would also recommend The Fundamentals of General Tree Work by Beranek . I would also get a safety 8 it will save you some climbing down on spurs and don't pull trees over with the same rope you use as a lifeline.​

Buy a large bucket truck and throw the ropes away.

Actually just kidding. Using a large bucket takes some experience also.
And I use my ropes and saddle in combination with my bucket. Though a bucket truck sure makes for a lot less climbing. Has made me little lazy and fat.
With a bucket you can repel down out of the bucket which makes for alot of fun.

You need to learn a climbing hitch such as a blakes hitch. For this you need to buy a climbing line. This will keep you safer. To install it you will need a pole saw and a throw line. A different saddle will be needed too. The best way in my opinion to start climbing is through pruning. Just use a handsaw. This will help you to stay safe and will let you develop your skills before complicating things with a chainsaw..... Good luck..... Mike

Just my 2cs....

Last edited:
Pros and Cons- for a lineman which it is billed as its great, for trees its DANGEROUS

Unfortunately, you purchased a good kit for lineman work, Telephone poles climb different than trees.

The belt you have is the worst! you need to get one that has straps to keep your legs in, people die every year falling out of work belts just like that when they flip upside down. And fall to their death.

The pole gaffs you have in this kit look to have short points for telephone poles, you need longer points.

Trade it in, sell it on Ebay or just keep it if you are going to work for the telephone company.

Good luck- and be careful out there its Dangerous

:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
The belt is wrong because it isn't a tree climbing belt-

my last posting didn't say that though, I focused on the lack of leg straps. This belt is called a "work positioning belt" It is designed to hold you directly opposite of the pull against the belt, when climbing trees you need a belt that is designed to pull from different directions.

The Buckstrap you have there will be a royal pain in the butt to use with that buckle, and the steel lanyard if he shipped it is useless unless you are going to walk your dog with it.

I don't mean to be critical except that it is your life, and I can't sit by and watch you destroy it with out at least trying to set you straight.

Be CAREFUL not Clueless!

I am new to this site, but I was taught how to climb and trim by one of the best in the midwest, working for the city of Milw. I now work for an electric utility and spent the better part of 16 years climbing poles. The advise you have been given is right on. You need to trade the pole belt for a saddle and the gaffs are also probably going to be too short for tree work. Pick up a good arborist manual to give you the basics. Anything by Alex Shigo also will help you understand how a tree grows and then how to trim it.

Tree gear vs. Pole gear.

I am new to this site, but I was taught how to climb and trim by one of the best in the midwest, working for the city of Milw. I now work for an electric utility and spent the better part of 16 years climbing poles. The advise you have been given is right on. You need to trade the pole belt for a saddle and the gaffs are also probably going to be too short for tree work. Pick up a good arborist manual to give you the basics. Anything by Alex Shigo also will help you understand how a tree grows and then how to trim it.
:agree2:

These guys are right. Go to the websites of Bailey's, WesSpur, and Sherrill. They all sell the basic equipment you will need in kit form. If you have a good arborist supplier near you, go in and try some saddles. The saddle is very important. It must fit just right, and be comfortable to support your entire weight for long periods of time. You can spend a fortune on ropes and equipment, but to start off, you need a good rope, good saddle, some good boots (not the kind made for gaffs or spurs), a couple of locking carabiners (don't take any shortcuts here, buy the "three-way" kind that need three separate moves to open), and a lanyard or flipline. Steel-core or non steel-core, it doesn't matter, unless you are climbing near electric lines, which you shouldn't be doing anyway, until you learn more.

You'll also need a throwline, throw weight, and a bag. Gotta get the rope up there. Also, a helmet and some good gloves. I'm not kidding.

Finally, get The Tree Climber's Companion, the best $20 you ever spent. Read it cover to cover, more than once. All the catalogs have it.

Learn the knots, and practice with the rope over a branch maybe 10' off the ground. Make sure everything works. If you fall on your butt from maybe 12", you won't get killed.

Then, most important - find somebody who climbs for a living and is willing to show you how it's done. You can't learn it from a book, but the book sure helps.

The stuff you got is OK for climbing utility poles. You don't use gaffs on a tree unless you are going to take it down. You should be able to sell the stuff if you don't plan to pole climb later.

Climbing is great fun. I don't climb for a living, but I wanted to learn how. Just be careful and take it slow.

Good luck, man. Have fun and stay safe!

Wow lots of input which is good. Luckily, i've already got the Tree Gaffs, aquired from logger who's my neighbor. Now for belts, yes i understand imma need a diff one. Just got back from neighbors matter of fact who's gettin me one from work that none of the other guys could fit. *bein small got its benefits!* haha. In all honesty, i been using a set of pole gaffs for about 3 weeks now. just climb up and climb down With the same style belt and a Tree Stand Safety Harness and an atv helmet. I'm not looking to crawl up and hack a bunch of limbs off or make a living outta doin this. i'm just using it to climb up, tie a rop on for Falling it in a certain direction, then make my way back down. I tried to use logical sense. Be as safe as possible with what i had. Had ppl outside while i was practicing as well. As far as the steel lanyard, i told him to keep it...maybe usable for sinching stuff once its on the ground, but thats why i got logging chains anyhow! lol The Gaffs i was using were pretty crude..no padding on them so needless to say i got some bruises. I'm used to doing what i can with what i got, thats the way i always have been. As far as advice, yinz have opened my eyes alot. If i was going to get into this as a living..yah..i'd have thousands tied up in it. As far as ropes, i got like over 500 ft of that blue amsteel stuff they use on todays winchs. I figure that would be more than sufficent seeing as itll pull a barried vehicle weighing over 4000 lb outta the mudd or over a highwall edge. So with this all said, Hopefully i can make do with some of the stuff i got and get rid of rest, or keep everything, and get more. I'm open for all thoughts and advice so keep it coming!! Thanks Folks!

-Zac

**The Gaffs i was using were pretty crude..no padding on them so needless to say i got some bruises. I'm used to doing what i can with what i got, thats the way i always have been. I'm open for all thoughts and advice so keep it coming!! Thanks Folks!

-Zac

Well, I guess you have survived this long... I know the deal been there done that too many times...

Those gaffs even with nice pads are going give you bruises for awhile, you have to build up to them.

The pro's on this site will prolly try to talk you outta' some of them ways, but hey that's what were here for-

To level with you, my take from this last posting- I think yer crazy! ATV helmet, hunting harness-- I don't care if you are taking down one tree or thousands, you need the correct equipment and training. PERIOD

I hope not to read about you in the paper or on this site.

Last edited:
Not to high jack but would this work for climbing some small trees to see if I like climbing? Ill get more stuff to be safe but this is affordable? My uncle used to climbed so ill have him come and give me some pointers before I get more then 4ft off the ground... I'm not looking to start taking down trees, just always wanted to climb. Used to rock climb with borrowed gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250566022196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330080861956&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Latest posts

Back