Keep them saws clean, how?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own my own small buisness, and am still an employee of the people I do work for, no matter how you slice it, you always work for someone else!!!!!!

I needs me one of them ther cuda thingymajiggers, that would be so cool to sit in the garage and BS with people while they paid me to wash their saws!!!!! "Need another beer while I'm up?" "Nah, I'm good for now!" "You're saw should be out in another 5, I'm gonna go pee, tell me what Judge Judy does to this idiot whilst I'm gone"
HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........................
gots me a thinkin now Thall LOL.
Andy

Lakeside53 said:
Rats... YOu wernlt gong to mislead Threeco, were you?:monkey:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww it was in fun only, I can see the guy he is talking about now searching the world over for something there isn't,lol

Lakeside53 said:
Rats... You weren't gong to mislead Threeco, were you?:monkey:

Lake are you blurried eye tonite, looks like you mispelled TreeCo's name there??

TreeCo said:
He wants to buy it.

I've got a dozen or so Stihl saws.

Not sure why Lakeside would say there isn't a square grind attachment for the USG. I've had one for 15 plus years.

The attached photo is of the diamond dressing wheels for the square grind attachment.

Thats the one they discontinued as (Stihl says) it won't do the required job. I taked to the local Stihl tech rep at length about it as I really wanted one, but he talked me out of it even if I could have found a used one.

I'm interested in the results though. Can you send some close up photos of your Cutters after grinding.

Edit: the diamond dresser is available if that's all you are looking for. Stihl says you can't sharpen their square chain on a USG, but if you've got pics, send them along 'cos if it can be done, I'm all over it too.

Last edited:
THALL10326 said:
Lake are you blurried eye tonite, looks like you mispelled TreeCo's name there??

Hmmm, maybe a Freudian slip? Na.,,,, just a typo...and I'm in denial about needing glasses..

TreeCo said:
He wants to buy it.

I've got a dozen or so Stihl saws.

Not sure why Lakeside would say there isn't a square grind attachment for the USG. I've had one for 15 plus years.

The attached photo is of the diamond dressing wheels for the square grind attachment.

You got a dozen Stihl's cool, good saws they are. Least you and me got the same good taste in saws. The attachment is no longer available far as I know of Tree.

So when you going to send me them Stihl's up here so I can show you how a clean saw really looks??

04ultra said:
Tom what's the price on that Hatchet???

That tomahawk, awwwwwwww hell, cuse me Sap, that was a slip , kinda like your employee slip, goes for $34.95. Now this in not a slip, its one helluva hatchet. Want a few Ultra???

coveredinsap said:
I used both the Mac 250 and the Alpina on the liquidambar stump today. And you know what I did when I was finished? I took the time to clean them both up so they're ready for tomorrow's cutting.

If you had a Stihl, you would have only needed ONE saw. The KING of saws. LOL :)

edit: Lakeside beat me to it. :(

sawinredneck said:
I own my own small buisness, and am still an employee of the people I do work for, no matter how you slice it, you always work for someone else!!!!!!

I needs me one of them ther cuda thingymajiggers, that would be so cool to sit in the garage and BS with people while they paid me to wash their saws!!!!! "Need another beer while I'm up?" "Nah, I'm good for now!" "You're saw should be out in another 5, I'm gonna go pee, tell me what Judge Judy does to this idiot whilst I'm gone"
HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM.........................
gots me a thinkin now Thall LOL.
Andy

lolol, hey love your sig, cool

attachment.php

Sorry it was a little dark..Just wanted everybody to see the cutter..

04ultra said:
attachment.php

Sorry it was a little dark..Just wanted everybody to see the cutter..

I dont know who sharpened that chain but the cutter to the far left is still dull, has no point on it at all. Who's chain is that???

coveredinsap said:
I used both the Mac 250 and the Alpina on the liquidambar stump today. And you know what I did when I was finished? I took the time to clean them both up so they're ready for tomorrow's cutting.
I remember a few months ago you were telling us how well your wildthingie was working on that same stump. How many saws and how many months is that one dirty stump going to take?

TreeCo said:
Here ya go.

Not trying to be funny... but is that before or after you sharpened it? Maybe it's the photo.

Are you grinding into or out of the cutter? what are your settings on the three scales?

Something in the back of my head say stihl didn't want you to reverse the motor to make sparks fly toward the operator. That may be part of why they wont support the concept? maybe...

The is nothing fundamentally different about a USG to any similar grinder... and I don't think the others support square - Oregon 511A?

LarryTheCableGuy said:
I remember a few months ago you were telling us how well your wildthingie was working on that same stump. How many saws and how many months is that one dirty stump going to take?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww Larry you shouldn't say that, but your right, I read the samething from Sap months ago. I don't know what the hell he is cutting but it must be one helluva stump.

Cute avatar Larry,lolololololololol

THALL10326 said:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww Larry you shouldn't say that, but your right, I read the samething from Sap months ago. I don't know what the hell he is cutting but it must be one helluva stump.

Cute avatar Larry,lolololololololol

You beat me to that one... :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe he's just stumped... I should get down there and snip it off with my 088.

Lakeside53 said:
You beat me to that one... :hmm3grin2orange:

Maybe he's just stumped... I should get down there and snip it off with my 088.

That would be mighty nice of you Lake but remember if you do you will be working for him and you know how he feels about employee's, hmmmm, still gonna go cut that stump for him??

sawinredneck said:

Like you were reading my mind.

Even the great Harlan Sanders (may the divine entity rest his soul)(<----hows that for PC?) worked for someone.

That someone was Me, every time I bought the old colonels extra crispy.

Dang, now I made myself hungry........:popcorn:

TreeCo said:
The USG square grind attachment comes with a different base. After pulling the grinding wheel down to grinding lever.........a lever on the base pulls the chain into the grinding wheel. It's spring loaded and has to be released before the grinding wheel can be lifted.

Without the moving chain holder I don't think square grinding could be done on the USG.

Do you have a part number for the base - it's cast on it.. A photo of the base? I'd like as much info as I can to get back to stihl and say "huh?" or something like that. It sure sounds like what they call the scratcher chain base.. and that part is still availabe also.

How often do you need to dress the wheel? Seems to me the the tip would get worn really quick.

Latest posts

Back