Keep them saws clean, how?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeCo said:
The USG square grind attachment comes with a different base. After pulling the grinding wheel down to grinding level.........a lever on the base pulls the chain into the grinding wheel. It's spring loaded and has to be released before the grinding wheel can be lifted.

Without the moving chain holder I don't think square grinding could be done on the USG.

Tree I gotta ask, whats the big deal about square grinding anyway? I do around 2000 chains a year and never get a complaint. I do get alot of wow, those chains cut great. I just dont see the need for square grinding chains at all. Is there some reason they should be square ground other than just a personal choice?

THALL10326 said:
That would be mighty nice of you Lake but remember if you do you will be working for him and you know how he feels about employee's, hmmmm, still gonna go cut that stump for him??

I do almost anything for enough money... or... everything has its price...

TreeCo said:
I don't think I have any photo of the base. I have talked to Stihl and this attachment was discontinued some time ago. I'll get the part number next time I'm in the shop.

I use soft wheels and I also have a borazon wheel that never needs dressing. I touch up the soft wheels every chain lightly but they don't need much.

I've also got a Stihl diamond wheel for doing the Stihl carbide chain. I use it on regular round ground chain sometimes and it works fine and never plugs. Ditto on the borazon. In fact I've never really had trouble with wheels plugging in over 20 years of grinding.

Can't beat that Stihl stuff can ya, good stuff. Lets see you got a dozen Stihl saws, 10 less than me but thats ok, and you use a Stihl grinder and all so TreeCo can you give us some idea why you choose to use that avatar? I'm really curious now for it doesn't seem to make sense if your team Stihl all the way, share with us why you use that....

04ultra said:
THALL tracking says my saw is in CHANTILLY, VA, US and will be back here on Monday..THX

Not a problem Ultra, its been a pleasure "working'" for you. Hope to work some more of my "professional" magic on your saws......wink

RaisedByWolves said:
Like you were reading my mind.

Even the great Harlan Sanders (may the divine entity rest his soul)(<----hows that for PC?) worked for someone.

That someone was Me, every time I bought the old colonels extra crispy.

Dang, now I made myself hungry........:popcorn:

Yeah, I guess if you don't need money you don't have to work, but us Humle employees "we needs our monies massa"! And I don't recall hearing anybody in CA hitting a big lotto lately?

Thanks Thall, I liked the purple, it seems different. I really like RBW's better though, gotta love the gatling gun!!!
Andy

THALL10326 said:
Not a problem Ultra, its been a pleasure "working'" for you. Hope to work some more of my "professional" magic on your saws......wink

Is the 066 going to ship back this week ..Send me the tracking # for that one to..THX

TreeCo said:
Square ground cuts faster. Maybe 15% or so.

It's my understanding that square ground is used by lots of the saw racers.

Here is a photo from my files(pun intended). It's not my tooth or photo and I wish I knew who's it was so I could give credit where credit is due.

attachment.php

Just from the picture, I would say Gypo.

TreeCo said:
Hey......my big saw is a modified 3120! I've got a couple of old Homies, too.

I picked up that avatar because I was thinking some of the team Stihl around here treat some of the members pretty badly.

I may consider dropping the avatar though if you would wash a few saws for me.:)

POO on that I was first DAN.........Wait in line.......LOL

04ultra said:
Is the 066 going to ship back this week ..Send me the tracking # for that one to..THX

Will do, no problem. BTW, nice big tipper you is, I likes a customer that tips bigtime. That tip will buy me lunch for months, thanks Ultra........

TreeCo said:
Hey......my big saw is a modified 3120! I've got a couple of old Homies, too.

I picked up that avatar because I was thinking some of the team Stihl around here treat some of the members pretty badly.

I may consider dropping the avatar though if you would wash a few saws for me.:)

Awwwwwwwwwww ok TreeCo, thanks for sharing. Opps, wait a minute there, uhh just who are we mistreating TreeCo? You somehow forgot to mention that. Tell you what TreeCo if you would kindly pour out your reasoning why you feel that way and who you are referring to I'll do your saws for free, hows that?

THALL10326 said:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww Larry you shouldn't say that, but your right, I read the samething from Sap months ago. I don't know what the hell he is cutting but it must be one helluva stump.

Cute avatar Larry,lolololololololol

Quit picking on him. It takes a long time to whittle down a stump like this.

Besides, it's not nice to pick on those kind of people.

Nope, think everyone is still trying to catch up with what you all have written, haven't had a lot of long threads like these in a while!
Andy

TreeCo said:
That sounds like a nice offer. Maybe I'll take you up on it later, but not tonight.

Dan

Thats cool TreeCo and the offer will stand, you pay the shipping however. Maybe the guy you are talking about will speak for himself and clear up this mistreated your referring to.

THALL10326 said:
Thats cool TreeCo and the offer will stand, you pay the shipping however. Maybe the guy you are talking about will speak for himself and clear up this mistreated your referring to.

RRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHTTTTTTT!

chowdozer said:
If you had a Stihl, you would have only needed ONE saw. The KING of saws. LOL :)

edit: Lakeside beat me to it. :(

A person would have to be an idiot to take a new 660 and stick it in a liquidambar stump. I'm talking about the part below the ground....lest you be confused, er...stumped... by the term 'stump'

coveredinsap said:
A person would have to be an idiot to take a new 660 and stick it in a liquidambar stump. I'm talking about the part below the ground....lest you be confused, er...stumped... by the term 'stump'

I'm an idiot then. Why not a real saw? I use mine and there's no problem. Taken out lots of stumps "below the ground", dig, wash and cut, then wash more, and when ready chain up the truck and rip the sob out. Just don't cut dirt if you value your chains.

Helps know what you are doing and to use the right chain.

TreeCo said:
I've also got a Stihl diamond wheel for doing the Stihl carbide chain. I use it on regular round ground chain sometimes and it works fine and never plugs. Ditto on the borazon. In fact I've never really had trouble with wheels plugging in over 20 years of grinding.

I use the stihl diamond grinding wheels on both mine and my employers machines.. They do load up.. There is a white ceramic stone you apply to the wheel every chain or so to remove the steel. Sure it will cut nice without it, but it does make a big difference

coveredinsap said:

Sap I'll tell ya what, I've taken stumps out well below the ground. I go to that task with about 15 chains, new ones, I don't mess around with sharpening chains over and over and over, I usually just toss them and get a new one. In fact I rarely use a sharpened chain at all, I likem new. Course I do get a right good price on them. Even so either your using the same chain over and over or something is wrong.

Latest posts

Back