Keep them saws clean, how?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeCo said:
My diamond wheel is metal. I believe aluminum.

My Borizon wheel is steel with the borizon along it's circumference.

Thanks for the info. Are my wheels safe?

Checked ours out at work today yours sound fine.

The metal backed wheels (I forgot about aluminum hubs) are diamond impregnated and you should be fine with these.

The problem wheels are ones that look similar to bench grinder wheels in their construction, ie made of sand like substance (silicon) and diamond or carbide chips. The silicon carbide and silicon diamond wheels have a green apperance and must look this way by law, hence the name "green wheels".

The silicon and carbide form a hazardous dust that cant be expelled from your lungs.

Ie if you breathe it you own it for life.:help:

TreeCo said:
This piece has a very small pivot motion that serves to push the chain into the already pulled down and held in place square grinding wheel.

I'm not seeing anything like this one on the USG parts list.. even the old IPLS (1996). Does this have a number on it?

My Stihl contact that knows about this stuff is on vaction until the 31st...

Are you grinding into the cutters, or like a conventional sharpening, one side in and the other out.

I confused by your wheels. My understanding of borazon is that is is a coating on a backing. I think you said you are dressing these with the diamond dressing attachment, but won't that just take off the abrasive? I thought the diamond dressers were for solid material wheels... Maybe I'm just confused...

Lakeside53 said:
Ha! My wife's greatest fear is that I'll go first and she have to deal with all my stuff.. :hmm3grin2orange:

So the "piles of junk" line is true,lol

04ultra said:
THALL dont worry I buy what ever your grandson dosent want..Might even ship some out to Andy..

Hmmmm by that time I may have a 100 or so saws by then, grandson may be a wheeler dealer likem his Grandpaw:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

TreeCo said:
It will be nice to hear some info from your contact at Stihl when he gets back.

Dan:monkey:

TreeCo said:
The number is on the bottom and it's shown in one of my attachments and is readable. It's the whole base that moves about 1/8".. I've had it since 1988 I believe.

Are you grinding into the cutters, or like a conventional sharpening, one side in and the other out. One side in and the other out just like regular. I've heard it's an easy mod to wire a DPDT switch to make the usg reversible but mine is stock.

I can't quite make out the part number... Anyone else have better eyes?

It's easy to modify the motor direction, but you'll end up with grinding sparks coming toward you (might be possible to make guard). I was more interested in whether the finish was good enough on the side with the outwards grinding.

Yes, my mistake on your dressing of the borazon - I misread your earlier post.

The white stick you need for unloading the diamond wheel is just an Aluminum oxide stick used for most diamond grinding attachments. We just get ours from a local hardware store.

Last edited:
attachment.php

THALL10326 said:
So the "piles of junk" line is true,lol

Absolutly true... piles...

The latest "POJ" is an old Bridgeport mill... Needs a litle work (but in a month or so, or so..., it will be beautiful, again), but you can have it if you can lift it in one hand... Oh yes - it is 2450lb:clap: :clap:

Lakeside53 said:
Absolutly true... piles...

The latest "POJ" is an old Bridgeport mill... Needs a litle work (but in a month or so, or so..., it will be beautiful, again), but you can have it if you can lift it in one hand... Oh yes - it is 2450lb:clap: :clap:

Only 2450lbs, hell Lake a man such as myself, shoot I'll carry that thing back to Virginia walking in one hand,lolol.

TreeCo said:
9 5203 752 2500 is the serial # on the base. I doubt that would be the number for the whole attachment though as the diamond dressers and the spring along with the new chain holder were all part of the kit.

My USG was set up to take this attachment from the factory I believe. No drilling was necessary as the holes were already there.

As for the finish being good on the side with the outward grind......it's just like the finish the usg does on the round ground. Square ground isn't that much different than round......it's just that the wheel has two flat faces that are shaped such that the inside of the cutting corner has more metal removed than round ground.

Lakeside wrote:
"Aluminum oxide stick used for most diamond grinding attachments. We just get ours from a local hardware store." Thanks.

O.k. your pictures were fine - sorry, I was thinking that you had something different. The base you show is the standard base for the USG (even the same as mine) and is available, but as it's on each machine why would it come in a kit? There is possibility that Stihl used the same casting and machined it differently, but... The diamond dresser is available.

I'm now confused as to which part moves the chain into the wheel, and what moves it (I've seen your later picture of the spring). Do you have an IPL for the USG? If not, I can send you one and you can look at it and figure out what you have that is different to the standard setup(s).

Edit... Does the spring replace the normal detent the flops down behind the chain?

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
That whole base moves. You hold down the grinding wheel with one hand and push the knob with your other hand. This pushes the chain towards the grinding wheel and the base into the spring. When you stop pushing the base is spring loaded and returns to it's rest position.

If the wheel were borough up before the base returned to the at rest position the wheel would grind off a piece of the front edge of the top plate.

I'll lay my two bases side by side tomorrow and get them both in the same photo. My regular round ground base is not threaded for the handle.

Yes, my regular base isn't either, but has the same cast in number! Confusing.. Yes, more photos may be enlighening..

in any case, Ultra likes pictures..

TreeCo said:
The detent that flops down stays the same. In fact the whold chain holder is the same.....I just moved it over from the round ground set up.

The return spring is on the base.

]

Yes, I'm getting it now.. The standard base doesn't move that way...

Side by side pics would be great though.

TreeCo said:
Lake if this isn't your house I'm afraid ole Thall is lost. Oh well, you know what they say about the path less followed.

attachment.php

That's THALL? I just set to dogs onto an old fart that wandered in.. uh oh... :hmm3grin2orange:

Back