Keeping your saw clean

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use organic solvents (fuel, paint thinner, etc,) for cleaning greasy parts, put got concerned about absorbing too much of that through my skin, the flammability, and the smell (I often work in the basement).

I really like the water based commercial degreasers, especially the ones with lye, although, they will still dry out your hands if you don’t wear gloves, and you don’t want to splash any of these in your eyes.

I also like the citrus based degreasers (several brands available), often found in spray bottles in the auto care aisles. These are really convenient for cleaning off a saw in the field with a rag.

Philbert

I used to use organic solvents (fuel, paint thinner, etc,) for cleaning greasy parts, put got concerned about absorbing too much of that through my skin, the flammability, and the smell (I often work in the basement).

I really like the water based commercial degreasers, especially the ones with lye, although, they will still dry out your hands if you don’t wear gloves, and you don’t want to splash any of these in your eyes.

I also like the citrus based degreasers (several brands available), often found in spray bottles in the auto care aisles. These are really convenient for cleaning off a saw in the field with a rag.

Philbert

I filled a parts washer one time with pure undiluted purple power or a similar water based cleaner. I figured it would be fine. I left a handle bar of an old Homelite laying in the bottom and forgot about it. Quite awhile later I discovered what was left of it which was not a whole lot/ That cleaner ate the da..m handle bar. In it's full strength it will eat/fade paint quick to. For being "safe" and water based it has some nasty effects. As you noted though in a basement it is great as there is no odor

There are many ‘purple’ cleaners. I like the ones that have lye (sodium hydroxide) listed on the label. Lye eats grease fast. Lye does not like aluminum. So, OK to let chains soak a bit, but aluminum parts need to be thoroughly rinsed after a short exposure, brushing, etc.

Philbert

When I'm cutting pine I spray my saw down before starting with wd-40(edit; I do this before I start the day and every refuel throughout the day), everything but the muffler and handles, then at the end of the day I hit the handles and wipe it down. Many times the saw is cleaner at the end of the day than when I started.

When I'm cutting pine I spray my saw down before starting with wd-40, everything but the muffler and handles, then at the end of the day I hit the handles and wipe it down. Many times the saw is cleaner at the end of the day than when I started.
After cutting evergreen trees the saws are murder to clean because of the tar. Pine maybe the worst. I usually avoid them if possible. I admire your solution. I once knew a guy who sprayed his saw first with something before he started cutting pine, but I cannot remember what he used. He said it made the saw kind of slippery.

After cutting evergreen trees the saws are murder to clean because of the tar. Pine maybe the worst. I usually avoid them if possible. I admire your solution. I once new a guy who sprayed his saw first with something before he started cutting pine, but I cannot remember what he used. He said it made the saw kind of slippery.
I also have my pretty saws, they don't cut pine and don't have any tape on them :laugh: , but even my work saws I like to avoid the sticky pitch as much as possible.
Give the wd40 a try(I respray them everytime fuel during the day), just be sure you don't spray the handles during the day or the handles will get dangerously slippery. When you are done for the day you can spray the handles, then before you use them the next time take a little gas and wipe the handles off so they aren't slippery.

I also have my pretty saws, they don't cut pine and don't have any tape on them :laugh: , but even my work saws I like to avoid the sticky pitch as much as possible.
Give the wd40 a try(I respray them everytime fuel during the day), just be sure you don't spray the handles during the day or the handles will get dangerously slippery. When you are done for the day you can spray the handles, then before you use them the next time take a little gas and wipe the handles off so they aren't slippery.

Just overfill the oil tank- has the same result and you don't have to carry an extra can. :laugh:

Just overfill the oil tank- has the same result and you don't have to carry an extra can. :laugh:
The good thing is I typically work near the truck so I just get the wd-40 out once and it sits by the other jugs.
I was watching a popular faller on YouTube and he was saying how the cap area on a particular saw held a lot of chips, but a little splash fixed that lol. On my stihls I'll hit the caps/cap area with wd-40 when they get real dirty.

The good thing is I typically work near the truck so I just get the wd-40 out once and it sits by the other jugs.
I was watching a popular faller on YouTube and he was saying how the cap area on a particular saw held a lot of chips, but a little splash fixed that lol. On my stihls I'll hit the caps/cap area with wd-40 when they get real dirty.

I'm going to get a can of WD-40 and put it in my field bag. Cheap, easy, quick,,, all good.

Probably better than tape, but it's not a bad idea t have some tape in your bag too, but not for keeping the saws clean lol.

Or go back to my original post on this very informative thread and rub a bar of soap or a candle over the front of the case exterior- will possibly hang in there longer than WD-40, smell nicer as it warms up and not over spray the front wrap and muffler.

Or go back to my original post on this very informative thread and rub a bar of soap or a candle over the front of the case exterior- will possibly hang in there longer than WD-40, smell nicer as it warms up and not over spray the front wrap and muffler.
I don't like the smell of candles, but I like the smell of the K2 maxima, and I don't mind the smell of the wd40. And I don't overspray the handles or the muffler, I'm that good :oops::lol:.
Then again, if the OP wants to, he could, but it seemed to me he didn't like that idea. Oh well you tried, maybe someone else will find it and like it :).

I don't like the smell of candles, but I like the smell of the K2 maxima, and I don't mind the smell of the wd40. And I don't overspray the handles or the muffler, I'm that good :oops::lol:.
Then again, if the OP wants to, he could, but it seemed to me he didn't like that idea. Oh well you tried, maybe someone else will find it and like it :).

How about surfboard or ski wax? :numberone:

I buy my saws to use. Zero interest in changing anything I do just to make the next owner happy.
My saws are tools, plain and simple. I use them every day and when I quit for the day, they get put in the box and I go home. Life is too short to spend an extra hour or more every day cleaning half a dozen saws. I don't typically sell, trade, or take my saws to "car shows". When Im done with them, they are usually ready for the scrap pile. As long as they run right, function properly, and help me make a living, I couldn't care less what they look like.

Latest posts

Back