Last 440 or 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that there was one "advice" given on this particular saw...curious as to why. I'm not to familiar on the Stihl line-up yet and would like to know how it compares to the 440 & 460 other than what the paper specs say...actual use comparisons

All the power of a 440 with the weight and size of a 460...... whats not to love! :clap:

:laugh: :cheers: :laugh:

Well, I still don't know which, but I know one thing for sure, I will not be buying a 441. Not interested in the new strato engine. I think I would like the 440 for the reasons mentioned and the 460 I know is great. I want to put a 20" on one and a 24" on the other, cutting 90% hardwoods. Will the 440 bring good money if I don't like it and want to sell?

Yep!

to the whole thing :cheers:

Guys, I am not trying to talk you into a strato 441. I just wish more of you could try one. The 441 really is a good runner. Im not saying its the perfect saw. And if you have, and dont like it, this doesnt apply to you. I liked it, it is SOOO different than either a 440 or 460 that I believe its kind of in its own class.

Id buy the 460 and leave it in the box till the other craps out for good. From what Ive heard, the 460 is going to be on the way out in 2-3 yrs and the 440 is what youll end up with. Its all about the emissions things.

Many westerners run 32 inch bars on 044's in softwoods....just don't try that with a stock 440 with the horribly restricted muffler....I've never run a fully woods ported one, just a Masen's modded one, with an opened muffler. It was nice!

Great saws, lighter than a 372, a tad less power, but more vibration...which never bothered me!

My 460 pulls a 32" like a 660 but it's much lighter. +1 on that restrictive muffler! Get that baby opened up.:chainsaw:

If you ever get the chance, try to run a 440 or 460 modded. Either one are awesome. I have never ran a stock or ported 372 but I know they can scream. Not leaving my Stihls though.:cheers:

Guys, I am not trying to talk you into a strato 441. I just wish more of you could try one. The 441 really is a good runner. Im not saying its the perfect saw. And if you have, and dont like it, this doesnt apply to you. I liked it, it is SOOO different than either a 440 or 460 that I believe its kind of in its own class.

I would like to give one a go, stock and ported.:chainsaw:

Unless I change my mind again (Ahhhhh:mad:) I will make the call on the 440 tommorow. I think I would like the slimmer profile and less weight primarily for use as a woods saw(felling/limming/bucking). If I don't like it I can sell it and get the 460.

Do I need to get the dual port cover or can I do some fab work on the stock one? Is it just the cover that needs a port or does the muffler need gutting on the 440?

Unless I change my mind again (Ahhhhh:mad:) I will make the call on the 440 tommorow. I think I would like the slimmer profile and less weight primarily for use as a woods saw(felling/limming/bucking). If I don't like it I can sell it and get the 460.

Do I need to get the dual port cover or can I do some fab work on the stock one? Is it just the cover that needs a port or does the muffler need gutting on the 440?

You could open up the tiny oem port on the back half but the dual port + the opened oem port works best. The internals should not have to be gutted, for a stocker anyway. If you are handy with some steel pipe and can braze, you can make your own port on the front but you won't have a spark screen. See if they will give you a discount on the DP cover since you are buying the saw, $20-25 would be a good price. You can also open up the DP slot for a bigger port. I like the DP cause it looks great and has the screen.....

Is that enough muffler talk???:dizzy: :dizzy: :)

Thanks 2K, that's what I was looking for. I am getting excited, don't think I will sleep tonight.

BTW, I am pretty handy with steel, I built this skidsteer 14.5" tree shear a while back.

Makes me wonder why I even buy saws, lol.:cheers:

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back