Last question before I order the splitter kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Northern has a the 4.5" cylinder kit in stock. They have the 5"cylinder kit on back order. It says ships between 15-29 days for the 5"kit. I have the power to push the 5"cylinder (skid steer with 21-22gpm). Here is my question is that cylinder worth waiting on. Is it that big of a difference. I am only going to use this to split really big rounds(20-50" hardwood). Some might be pretty knotty. The kit comes with a 4-way. The wings bolt on so you can use it as a single blade also. There isn't much difference on the price. Let me know what you guys think. I don't know much about hydraulics.

Scott

If you are planning on using this cylinder mainly just for super big stuff go with the 5 inch cylinder. It is better to have more tonnage and not need it than to have less tonnage and not have enough.
The 4-way mounted on the ram does not accomplish much when splitting big diameter blocks.

Id go with the 5 in aswell, Like trip said, you wont have any problems/regrets, looking at it another way is, If the 5 in wasnt necessary thay wood'nt offer it, fifty inch rounds is indeed on the larger end of splitter needs,.. T,C, E,J,

spec's quoted by splitter mfg are generally ... shall we say, stretched.

for example huskee/speeco claims 35 tons from a five in ram vs Timeberwolf claims 25 ton from a 5 in ram. speeco 35 ton uses 16gpm vs 22gpm for TW5. cycle times for speeco is 16 second vs TW5's 10 second cycle times.

12.5hp briggs vs 11 hp honda for TW5. formula is 2 gpm for every one HP. assuming a modern two stage pump is used.

fixed four ways are acknowledged, not good. this goes double for four way wings attached to ram in a vertical position. top pieces can go flying in your direction, if you are operating splitter right in front of round.

go with a five in ram for large rounds. if wedge is attached to ram. go single wedge. for horizontal wedge not on ram. four way can be fabbed to slide up & down like low end TW2.

Last edited:
5" All the Way..

Scott - Thats the kit we bought for the Backhoe splitter, my father in law kind of wishes he would have gone with 5" cylindar. Not that we have had problems with it the 4.5", just seems like bigger is always better !!!

Back