lets see them motorcycles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife won a Pennzoil gas powered go-kart in a drawing at a store. It was a nice kart with a full fibre-glas body.

Anyways, rather than even start it up, we decided to sell it instead. It didn't sell, but we did trade it for a used Yamaha 125cc three-wheeler.

After having it for a while, I saw a CL ad for the 1980 KDX 400 listed by a guy in Phoenix. I called and asked him if he might be interested in a trade? I told him what I had and he said he would.

I made the run to Phoenix, rode the KDX up and down the street and we made the swap.

I had that KDX for quite some time and was very pleased with it's performance and durability.
I’m sure that bike was a real workhorse. It would still be a fun bike to ride in the vintage class at local enduros, hare scrambles, cross country, etc.

In my opinion dirt bikes became modern in the mid eighties. There’s not a huge amount of difference in performance from then until today. Of course the capability of a motorcycle depends more on the rider than the performance specs of the motorcycle. Unless you’re competing for a national title you don’t need the minor advantage a newer bike provides. There’s VERY few riders with the talent to utilize that advantage.
A mid eighties woods bike, motocross bike, trials bike, or desert bike can still be very competitive at a local level and in my opinion they are more fun and clearly more comfortable.
I trail ride a lot with riders on much newer bikes. They’re always curious and want to try my KDX or XR so we’ll swap for a bit. It doesn’t take long until I’m ready to trade back. The newer bikes with their rock hard 4” wide seat and abrupt power delivery will wear you out a lot faster.
On the other hand they always enjoyed riding my bikes and want to keep riding it. lol
I don’t ride competitively any more so I’m just out to have fun. For me, the older bikes are more fun.

I’m here strictly for your entertainment. More to come.
reposting mine for yours

IMG_1826.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG

71 tr6c
there's nothin behind covers, makin it pretty light, id guess 350-60ish, knowin whats not there
lights run off alt
suzuki front end
might get dirt tires n hi f fender one day
It would make a cool scrambler. Some longer rear shocks to go with the forks would straighten out the geometry. Might need to add a chain roller.

Nice pics and a good assortment of bikes.

That VF1000R pic makes me miss mine. It was the only bike I have ever bought new and one of the bikes I regret selling.
That 360 degree crank and gear driven cams V4 would pull a hill like crazy. Here’s mine. I stripped down the wheels and had the powdercoated white. Otherwise bone stock.
F452AD70-D99E-4646-BA18-2FE072AB0FB6.jpeg

Took the Beta 300 out to clear trees off the trails in between storms...fortunate enough to be able to take off right out of my shop.

731188-70f18294f99088d6299ecd0d055f2d72.data
Beta and GasGas make some really nice bikes. Back in my trials riding day I had a GasGas JTR270. That bike was as reliable as the sunrise. Another bike I wish I had not sold.
I’ve actually been on the lookout for a trials bike. I’d like to get back into again and there’s an active club in my area.
Kudos to you for buying the Beta. There’s more than enough orange bikes out there.

Nice pics and a good assortment of bikes.

That VF1000R pic makes me miss mine. It was the only bike I have ever bought new and one of the bikes I regret selling.
That 360 degree crank and gear driven cams V4 would pull a hill like crazy. Here’s mine. I stripped down the wheels and had the powdercoated white. Otherwise bone stock.
View attachment 1047163
I had a lot of fun on my old Honda.
No top end, sure had a lot of torque though.
Two bad things, it didn't like to pass a gas station, and that death wobble 😲.
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 10.16.47 AM.png

Back