Lets talk about gas cans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Husky Combi can.
211515d1323876119-processimage-jpg

I have six (6), of the old style plastic jugs. Of these two are 6-gallon, but you cannot tell unless one is sitting next to a 5-gallon. Oh, the heavier plastic jugs were made in Canada.

Are our Canadian brothers stuck with these crappy new ones? If not, someone on here can start up a good little sideline. I would like to pick up maybe three or four more.

Briggs & Stratton Spill-proof 2.5 gal gas can. So far this is the best one I've tried. The locking mechanism works well, you twist the green band and pull it towards the can to open the spout and pour gas, and when the locking band is released the valve snaps shut instantly, making it very easy to fill a chainsaw fuel tank to the brim without over-filling. These really are leak-proof, too, it feels totally secure when I'm shaking up the mix, and it doesn't spill even a drop no matter what. It's a sturdy design, too, no cheesy plastic levers or parts that feel like they'll break off unless handled gently.

I'll have to check out the No-Spill brand jugs, they sound good too.

Briggs & Stratton Spill-proof 2.5 gal gas can. So far this is the best one I've tried. The locking mechanism works well, you twist the green band and pull it towards the can to open the spout and pour gas, and when the locking band is released the valve snaps shut instantly, making it very easy to fill a chainsaw fuel tank to the brim without over-filling. These really are leak-proof, too, it feels totally secure when I'm shaking up the mix, and it doesn't spill even a drop no matter what. It's a sturdy design, too, no cheesy plastic levers or parts that feel like they'll break off unless handled gently.

I'll have to check out the No-Spill brand jugs, they sound good too.

i have a 1.25 gallon like this ,if you put a radiator hose clamp on the green part it pours like a normal spout ,what ever happened to 1 gallon cans ,i have one old one with no antispill still ,i bottle stihlmix 1 gal gas no brainer ,with the 1.25 have some math involved or mark with a sharpie after measure a gallon in an old can

I only use the galvinazed metal 1 and 2 1/2 gal cans. Found some new old stock ones at the flea market this summer. The 5 gal plastic ones i have only haul the FREE fuel i get every few months from my local grocery store rewards card then it goes in the car...Bob

Like about everyone else I despise the Nader-ized 'spill proof' contraptions, mostly because they either don't vent or spill more gas (or diesel) than I ever did with the old ones. The E-10 cautions and new cans seems reasonable. However, I just took all the spring loaded multi-piece spouty thingys out of all of mine and vented every blessed one of them with a little brass stopcock valve from the hardware store that I think are probably used for condensate lines. Fuel pours, can vents, my buggywhip arms don't get tired with the tractor and mower cans. -WSJ

I've decided I'm going to buy some of the No Spill cans, based solely on the fact that they have No Spill Jill. She has some wonderful gas CANS . :biggrin:

The 1 1/4 gallon No Spill for me also, bought it from Baileys for about $13 dollars. Next time I checked they were about $17. Any of those first generation gas jugs that require you to depress the nozzle is a complete joke. How anyone convinced the government to mandate those POS's is beyond any reasonable comprehension.

The Eagle cans have worked the best for me. I use to have nothing but plastic gas cans. One morning when I entered my shop there was a very strong gas smell. One of my new plastic gas cans seam had split in the middle and spilled five gallons of gas on the floor. Lucky it did not ignite as the fuel was by a refrigerator. No more plastic gas cans for me. Eagles are expensive, but so is an explosion.

After buying several cheap plastic EPA approved cans from Walmart I finally broke down and bought a 2 1/2 gal No Spill can. All I can say is WOW. This can is almost as fast as the Non approved cans and the shut off button works to boot.

no spill cans are the best . The new cans now come with the see thru window so you can see how much gas is in the can without holding it up to the light . No spill cans have a thicker plastic then the blitz cans also. I also notice that nospill has a higher flow rate then blitz cans.

i have a 1.25 gallon like this ,if you put a radiator hose clamp on the green part it pours like a normal spout ,what ever happened to 1 gallon cans ,i have one old one with no antispill still ,i bottle stihlmix 1 gal gas no brainer ,with the 1.25 have some math involved or mark with a sharpie after measure a gallon in an old can

I usually take them to the gas station, and put in a gallon from the pump. Then I'll mark the side with a Sharpie for future reference.

I as well hate the new cans. First use of one a few years ago and the damn spout breaks right off a brand new can into the gas tank on my quad. During a XC race none the less. Now what is better to maintain good gas metal or fuel? I have always been told metal, idk.

Well as this thread is likely to soon to be 2nd page (i.e.oblivion)

I will post what many regular readers know about how I store gas/mix...

In GLASS jugs...old gallon cider jugs..but more recently found a better alternative...

1/2 gallon Tequila bottles at the recycle center...VERY thick and square...and...FREE..!!

Can't adsorb air (moisture) cuz they're glass...and you can see the gas mix color..(no straight gas)

As I said "storage"... Not to take in the field..!! (use plastic for that..!!)

Likely very few will read this and that's cool with me...maybe the few that do will consider it..??
:cheers:
J2F

no spill cans and be done with it. theyre twice to thrice the price of the others but there is no comparison

51-QG8kGdnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Yep, they are great, have a bunch at work. My own can at home is a blue plastic kerosene can. Got that because gas can's were no longer available with vented type nozzle's. old but great can. But you have to unscrew, and rescrew the nozzle, and it's more of a hassle. The no spill is sweet just push the button, and pour.

What do you use and how much fuel have you spilled this year? There has got to be a better way!

2.5 gallon can at the pump (ethanol free), although I only mix 2.0 gallons at a time, because I want the extra space for shaking the mix. From there, back at home, through a filter funnel into one quart metal cans. I got the cans from a small score of marked down trufuel. I used some of the expensive stuff, stashed the rest (it is good fuel, BTW), then saved the empty cans. They are the best for carrying in a jacket pocket and pouring into saws. I have two weights of jackets with big pockets, well, like a heavy army shirt then an army jacket, and I wear those out to the tree, the jacket pockets carry fuel and oil and wedge and tools, etc, leaving my hands free to carry saw and axe. Just take them off and hang them up any place handy then, then go to cutting.

So as to spilling, it is negligible. Not any quantity of note over this past year since I have been using them. MUCH better than any small fuel can I ever bought. Those round metal quart cans are very easy to control over a regular fuel can as per getting fuel into the saw and not spilling any. The only fuel I trash now is rinsing out new to me old used saws oil and fuel tanks. And I dump that on fireant nests anyway, just for revenge in advance.

I've decided I'm going to buy some of the No Spill cans, based solely on the fact that they have No Spill Jill. She has some wonderful gas CANS . :biggrin:

That site installs long term persistent cookies, one looks to be a tracker.

Latest posts

Back