lets uncover the Husqvarna Brand....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opinions are like ___oles; you know the rest. Without any qualifying or quantitative statements to use as discriminators this won't go far.

What size wood?
Hard or Soft wood? (Species you're cutting most often helps)
Frequency?
Duration?
Quantity?
Bar size(s)?
Budget?

All of these are relative and necessary questions to be answered to be able to answer your question capably. Anything else is just BS.
No offense intended.

OK, I'll throw in.

For me, small to medium size wood; used) 353/346xp.. new) 545/550xp

Medium to large wood; used) 359/357xp.. new) 555/562xp

Large to X large wood; 372xp.. or any larger Xp

Opinions are like ___oles; you know the rest. Without any qualifying or quantitative statements to use as discriminators this won't go far.

What size wood?
Hard or Soft wood? (Species you're cutting most often helps)
Frequency?
Duration?
Quantity?
Bar size(s)?
Budget?

All of these are relative and necessary questions to be answered to be able to answer your question capably. Anything else is just BS.
No offense intended.
I think he's just lookin for a range of the best models... :msp_wink:

How big of wood??

Sort of a personal question, isn't it?

:msp_wink:

But on topic... the best saws are the "pro" quality ones. They cost more, but in general will be more reliable, easier to start have more power, be lighter and more user friendly to operate. Get the largest you can afford and handle.

can anybody tell how to get other senior members and MVP's to join this thread? :givebeer:

Several of those had posted already when you made that post! The number of posts that a member has hardly have any bearing on their ability to answer a given question!:msp_wink:

You question really is impossible to answer as is - you need to be more specific!

For 10-20" wood, I would want a 560xp or 562xp.

Low budget: 450 (its .1 Hp less than the 545 for $150 less) Yes its a homeowner model but we are talking low budget.
Mid: 372 (wish I had bought one, but got a steal on my 2165 that I couldn't pass up)
Large: How large is large for you? 372 will cut pretty big stuff

It is also much lower build quality, and a little more weight.

SawTroll, not trying to start anything here but you sure have a lot of comments on this board about homeowner Huskys being low quality. Sure they aren't a pro saw but then again I certainly wouldnt classify them as low quality either.

SawTroll, not trying to start anything here but you sure have a lot of comments on this board about homeowner Huskys being low quality. Sure they aren't a pro saw but then again I certainly wouldnt classify them as low quality either.

Actually, he did say "lower" and if he says they are, I would trust him. To meet "consumer" market price points, many little things need to be cut to get the price down.

I said lower (as in lower than), not low! :msp_wink:

There can be a big difference between those words.

Actually, he did say "lower" and if he says they are, I would trust him. To meet "consumer" market price points, many little things need to be cut to get the price down.

Actually it was "much lower" and he's made comments like that in other threads also. Again, not trying to start an argument here just looking for clarification. There's no doubt that he knows more about saws that I do.

If pro model Huskys are the "Crown Royal" of saws, saying something is "much lower" in quality to me is comparing it to $7 a liter bar swill. Obviously homeowner Huskys are not of that quality. Now that I've made a subjective comparison hopefully the thread doesn't get too derailed.

Back to my original response to the OP, I dont think a 545 priced around $500 is a budget saw. A $350 450 is in my opinion a good budget saw, and others might say a Walmart special is a good budget saw. Lots of opinions around here, but if you make a strong statement I see no problem with someone else asking for clarification.

Actually it was "much lower" and he's made comments like that in other threads also. Again, not trying to start an argument here just looking for clarification. There's no doubt that he knows more about saws that I do.

If pro model Huskys are the "Crown Royal" of saws, saying something is "much lower" in quality to me is comparing it to $7 a liter bar swill. Obviously homeowner Huskys are not of that quality. Now that I've made a subjective comparison hopefully the thread doesn't get too derailed.

Back to my original response to the OP, I dont think a 545 priced around $500 is a budget saw. A $350 450 is in my opinion a good budget saw, and others might say a Walmart special is a good budget saw. Lots of opinions around here, but if you make a strong statement I see no problem with someone else asking for clarification.

Though they are not of poor quality, they honestly are of much lower quality. They have their place in the market though.

For a budget saw, I'd look into a used pro saw of any brand. Contact site sponsors and saw builders. I know nmurph typically has a good used pro saw, not to mention a good reputation. If he doesn't have one right this second, there's one on the way. But like I said, I'd check with the saw builders.

Well here goes.
1st list is firewood and the 2nd is logging.

1. Medium Use: 50-70cc depending on hard or Soft wood. Range: twigs - 24" wood.
This is where my 346xp shined. It routinely bucked 18" wood and smaller. Larger saws out-cut it past 16" diameter, but not by much through 18" logs. It was very light and a delight to run. I would also lump the 550xpAT, 357xp, 562xpAT, 372xp in there. I haven't gotten that much trigger time on my new 562xp, but from what my Father tells me, I may have a hard time getting it back when I get back home from Virginia... He likes it that much. He recently took out a 26" Blackjack Oak and only used that saw...

2. Large wood/heavy use: 70-120cc. Range of wood from 24" and up.
Something from the 372xp to the 3120. I have a 372 and love it. It doesn't come out to play though until the wood is at least 20" or larger. I have seen videos and heard testimony of loggers running long bars on 372's in softwood growth. In the Mid-West, we are more apt to run larger power heads on smaller bars to get though Locust and Hedge along with similar varieties. I will have a 395xp to replace my old Stihl MS660, unless the 661 can give the 395 a run for it's money in the oiling and A/V dept.
I'd lean towards a 390 or 395xp. A used 385xp or 394xp in good shape would be great as well.

3. Best Bargain: For firewood would be: 1. 350, 353, 359, 555 or 543, 2. 570 or 365, 3. Used 2100xp.

For BIG wood:
1. 372xp, 576xp, 390xp or a nice NOS 385xp. All will run up to a 28" bar with no problem, some better than others.

2. 395xp, 3120 or a used 394 or 2100xp. These saws have grunt and will haul the mail.

3. Any Used >70cc XP in good shape with a good price. Saws that are done by logging standards still have life in them for most firewood hacks. I wouldn't necessarily recommend picking up a used logging saw as it will likely be beat to all hell, but food for thought.

I use the 460R /20'' on average alongside the old brake-lever-less 266XP /24'' and for production and big #### I like my 395Xp /24,36,42". the 372Xp is great for moderately large stuff but didn't quite 'cut it' for me.:chainsawguy:

Back