lifespan of a climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Climbed my first tree in the fall of 88. was a groundie who would climb whenever I was aloud for the first couple years then switched to a smaller company with an old timer for a foreman who sent me up every tree he could. Been climbing ever since. i have done alittle construction and worked outa a bucket here n there but I have always been a climber at heart. So at darn near 42 I feel pretty good except for my sore knees and a touchy lower back.i had a real scare with my right shoulder last year but i got over it. Doc said it was a sprain I think. I just gotta be careful how I move it. dam near stirred it up alitte the other day trying to flip a work rope around a sucker that was up pretty high. Trying to flip that rope in a big circle motion is a def NO NO. I have been wearing light duty knee braces when i work and those help alot. I lost some weight and that helps me ALOT. I also quit drinking awhile back and even quit smoking about 2 1/2 years ago. but ya know...as I sit here n think about it.....all things considered, at the end of the day.....I am in my prime.

OK, truth be told I was stacking chairs and furniture to get to what I wanted as soon as I could walk... One of my first memories is of my aunt sunbathing in the back yard and sending me up into the neighbor's Apple tree tops (both prolly 45') to pick apples before I was even in kindergarten... Just finished eating green Apples with the salt shaker tonight from an Apple tree I dropped about a week ago... It comes full circle

Truth is, if you are a climber, it's just something you are born to and it cannot be taught. I imagine it can to a certain degree but a climber is just a climber. You're either born to it or your not.

No age, injury or obstacle is going to stop you from getting to where you want to go... Have to go...

you never know...

...ive known some young climbers who were all tore up and had to quit.... i know some old climbers who are in phenomenal shape... the young torn up climbers were the ones who were always trying to save time by using improper and dangerous techniques and in a big ol hurry... they got blown out knees and ###### up backs... ripped up shoulders etc... the old guys who have lasted have super awareness and know so many tricks they work circles around the younger spunky dudes... in tree work slow and steady wins the race... i think mindset and attitude has a lot to do with it.... development of rhythm and cadence... tuning into trees... honing skills, adaptability, passion... these are the things that make someone last... how many times have you guys heard "work smarter not harder" its repeated over and over for good reason...

Started climbing in 98, I've always been a big guy, 6' 6" currently 228 lbs, I have bad shoulders and my knees bother me sometimes, I also hit the gym every morning and do an actual workout 4 days a week after work, I keep myself in good shape because other than trees I don't know jack.

About the same story here but only the left one.

Hired Treemandan in the early nineties and felt so sorry for him not having any that I gave him my right one.

Well looks like I now am gonna need ole lefty cause righty seems to have petered out. I guess I used it up pretty fast working like that over the years. Climbing seems to be the easier of things to do in this work though its quite a workout either or. In fact if that was all I had to do I would probably stick with it.

climbing longevity

at 55, i have been climbing for 25yrs. +/-. I love to climb and derive great satisfaction from "a tree well pruned". I stopped climbing to work on my company rather than in it. That is the hardest tree that I have ever had to climb. I miss the days of climbing and draggin', lifting weights and drinking beer. enjoy it while you can.

Well looks like I now am gonna need ole lefty cause righty seems to have petered out. I guess I used it up pretty fast working like that over the years. Climbing seems to be the easier of things to do in this work though its quite a workout either or. In fact if that was all I had to do I would probably stick with it.

Hmm.
"Climbing seems to be the easier of things to do" :msp_confused:?????????:msp_confused: No body works harder then the climber. Uphill brush drag of osage orange don't even compete. Hell.

at 55, i have been climbing for 25yrs. +/-. I love to climb and derive great satisfaction from "a tree well pruned". I stopped climbing to work on my company rather than in it. That is the hardest tree that I have ever had to climb. I miss the days of climbing and draggin', lifting weights and drinking beer. enjoy it while you can.

I was thinking.
Never mind ,
Good post Cape, At 55, wow!.
Jeff

Last edited:
A little inspiration for father's day. A guy I climbed with at Bartlett in Flemington, NJ in the early 70's. Not a guy that claims climbing experience from 12 years old and is not a climber but really just a tree news reporter like Treeseer...this is the real thing. National ISA Climbing Champ in 52 I think. One time I met his wife at his front door and he was not there. I said Norm is still a great climber for his age, then around my age now...63. Thought she would put her eyes up and not have a clue. She smiled and said "yeah, he is just a beautiful climber isn't he?". Great wife.

Happy Fathers Day evybody and shame on you nails...you gonna get old one day too. I did a solid day and a half huge spread dead ash all climbing/rigging td yesterday and day before in 90 degree plus humid heat over multiple targets and took a nice relaxing 5 mile run last night to calm down. Wraptored up but that was a only a one minute free ride and then the work STARTED. Smoke em if you got em.:msp_smile:

Great article. He should have your name (treevet) I tip my hat this fathers day to you tree climbing dads. Not sure how you do it. Being single in this business makes it easy. I found the most outstanding part of the article was his wife. What a trooper. I bet when the day ended xtra long and his u know what's were dragging in the dirt
She didn't aask"where have you been? What took soooooo long. I put your dinner in the freezer for tomorrow. Thanks for not calling. Do you even remember the kids names. Surprised the dog didn't bite you being your never here"

Its that time of the year treevet. Im heading over to the BIG natti to take care of some clintele. I think I still have your # I'll let you know exactly when, when I get my ticket. Stay safe.

I agree that if climbing was all I had to do I would do this for a long time. Is it hard work? I don't think there is any question about that and dangerous too. But doing all the thinking for every body else, the dealing with customers on bids, the loading wood, and disposal of everything and I almost forgot equipment maint. When you put all that in just the climbing as hard as it can bee seems like a breath of fresh air. :rock:

Climbing for 10 years, Felt like my body falling apart, all joints in pain, lover back - junk... Was thinking to quite. My wife convinced me to go to gym for cardio and went gluten free diet. Never felt better. I'm in my 45 and don't see its ending soon.

Love your self. Work smart. Think. Paste your self. Take care of your body and mind. Stay safe.

a little young at this but started in 1973 still climbing 6 hrs a day 6 days a week i new a man stopped wen he was 85:rock:

1973? if ya don't mind me asking how old are you these days? Like someone said, the important thing is don't stop, for to long. I figure those trees are the best gym out there. Like that shirt sherrals sells,"your yard, our gym

Going to work in the oven again today, yesterday it was 96, heat index ? - freakin hot! With 40-50 mph gust, even in the shade, the wind hits and you are getting baked, but not in a good way. More tree rings, it kills me how high landscapers plant trees.

Edit: Wrong thread!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back