lifespan of a climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do u guys with experience in both think is harder? ?
Belt + spurs or rope +saddle? ?
Today will be my 1 st day in the Cougar. But they are take Downs. 3 Sitka spruce. With maybe some others also. But not hanging from the rope. I limb them to the top, top them then chunk them down. They are 70-100 ' tall. I top them at 6" diameter or so.

Depend's on the job.
Jeff

I sure can't say as all I've done is belt and spurs. .
It took me over 3 hours to do the bigger of the 2 spruce the other day. My ABS were cramping up bad. Hans and arms too. 48 degrees and rain. I need to get a thicker wirecore rope.
I did take advantage of havingg the Cougar on. When I was out of fuel the 1 st time I threw my other flip line up over a limb after I moved it to the rope bridge. Hooked it up. Tightened it up tightened it up, slacked the flip line around the tree and hung around for a while.

I was looking to try and find how common it was for a old tree trimmer not to know when to quit. And end up getting complacent cuz your skills are great even if your body ain't and take a tree not as seriously as you should cuz it's a simple stupid little thing like busting out a couple of dead tops and a medium sized Maple for a good friend my rope man for 35 years, 20 years 1/2 to 3/4 time in my business 10 years maybe five days a month swinging. Pretty much out since 2010. Started in 1980 self-taught then work part-time with a hillbilly 4 North Carolina who's the best trimmer I've ever seen. Man is like a monkey in the tree! I was about 35 before had the skills and smoothness he had but I was never as good. Kept going longer than I should body wearing out. Mostly from play hard work hard in everything. So I go up a silly ass Maple to do a very simple job and broke through the first cardinal rule I taught myself always be tied in by at least two safety points. I was just using my safety line swollen around the tree, blind cut far side of the tree I hit it quick and hard. It turned out it was rotted to paper in the saw melted through it quicker than I even thought I was getting a hold of it. Momentum from overzealous poorly-planned unsafely done and so went through my safety belt line oh miss take the number one couldn't find my regular safety rope so I just made a new one quick out of some lightweight inferior rope. So I got all my weight leaning back on the safety belt with my feet planted and it's like someone cut my string. Someone being me. Didn't even have time to move hit the ground at the same position I was in in the tree. Well I got a titanium thigh titanium hip a steel back 4 vertebrae, some kind of cement in a compression fracture upper back vertebrae and ankle it will never be the same, the heel of the other foot it's going to hurt the rest of my life from being broke. I've always heard that there's bold tree trimmers trimmers and there's old tree trimmers but there aren't any old bold tree trimmers. I got lucky and lived and I guess I'm retired cuz I can't do ****. When I got home from the nursing home after 2 and 1/2 months my equipment was on the porch for me a week or so later I was looking at it and my saddle was gone. Either my friend, my rope man took it or my one daughter. The message being you're not going up anymore ****ing trees! good thing too cuz I've healed enough did I wonder if my back and legs would work good enough in a tree? I still got the balls in the skills in climbing never bothered my back too much. But they're right I'm done. can't even work my second job I I started in 2010 as a diesel mechanic on the big trucks. I had just gotten good enough at it to land a $23 an hour starting pay job. I've been out of the year when I went over on a weekend to knock out the dying Maple from a rope man. it messed his head up pretty bad for a while cuz he was standing at the bottom of the ladder that I'd used as a cheater to get myself up the first 20 foot. I literally fell at his feet. wasn't lucky enough to get knocked unconscious. I got to feel every bone grinding bit tell the chopper got me to the hospital. Old bold tree trimmer gets complacent and cocky makes a mistake and I'm lucky enough that I'm Not Dead the three or four other lifetime climbers I know who made that mistake weren't as lucky. I missed the challenge enjoy of conquering a hard tree so much. I always felt a bit like a little girl going up a tree and felt like a badass man coming back down. now I never learned any modern technique, hell I always made my own saddles and made my Spurs hillbilly hardcore. I see some of the equipment that's out there it's like ****! that's slick stuff. I doubt that too many get weaned into tree trimming that way nowadays. I hope not it's not a good way to learn! live Hard Work Hard Play Hard Die Young and leave a good-looking corpse! that was the plan hardcore. what a dumbass! now I'm stuck in the broken 60 year old body the painfully gets me through the necessities of the day. it sucks cuz the older you get the better you are but the body wears out. I guess no one to quit is the moral of the story. and damn sure don't come up the way I did. more balls than brains is no way to become a tree trimmer! God I miss it. sorry for rambling, I never thought this all through at one time before. Boy I got stories and about all I can do now is tell stories. go out and find a real job there's a lot easier ways to make Better Living.

OK, truth be told I was stacking chairs and furniture to get to what I wanted as soon as I could walk... One of my first memories is of my aunt sunbathing in the back yard and sending me up into the neighbor's Apple tree tops (both prolly 45') to pick apples before I was even in kindergarten... Just finished eating green Apples with the salt shaker tonight from an Apple tree I dropped about a week ago... It comes full circle

Truth is, if you are a climber, it's just something you are born to and it cannot be taught. I imagine it can to a certain degree but a climber is just a climber. You're either born to it or your not.

No age, injury or obstacle is going to stop you from getting to where you want to go... Have to go...
Very well put. Truth be told I've always been afraid of heights, that's why I like them. It's the thrill. My mama found me 50 foot up the TV antenna when I was 4 years old. Being a pretty wise woman she kept herself crying cuz you didn't want to freak me out and she just hollered up and said I just got some fresh cookies out of the oven come on in and get some and walk back in the house. Well I got more than cookies but it never stopped me from loving climbing. In fact I regret that I never found the opportunity to climb big towers. The kind of dumbass balls it takes to swing around trees with chainsaws ropes Spurs is not common! Pain is good and chicks dig scars! LOL thanks for your comment it really hit home!

Push it too hard and it will be though!
Push it too hard and it will be though!
Truth to that brother I got a titanium cord thigh bone and the big hip bones between your thigh bone and your pelvis filled with titanium and a back full surgical steel! But I tell you it don't make you know 6 Million Dollar Man!

I turned 54 a few months ago, I started climbing full time around 1982, I got a day job as a groundsmen for a tree Company making min. wage, I heard the climber was getting 100.00 a day. Their climber wouldn't climb this leaner palm, I said for a 100.00 bucks I'll climb it. Been doing it every since.
I feel like I am the best climber I've ever been. I can't or won't do commercial production work no more, I use to knock out whole apt. complexes and malls and what not, then go to the gym, work out then jog 5 miles. On top of that only get a few hours sleep after partying all night. Don't have that in me no more.
Ive had a lot of close calls but have never been injured in the tree. My knees are good, my shoulders are fine, but there are times when I am running a big saw for hours on the ground my back starts hurting, and every once in the while I throw it out and have to rest for a few days.
I love to climb, I am not as fast as I use to be, but as fast as most will ever be. It's a shame, I am finely figuring out how to make climbing pay, and market what I can do, but wonder how much longer I can do it for.
My wife keeps tailing me to find a safer "normal job", but what am I going to do? All I know is trees.
I am working on my degree in Horticulture, and hope to move into a kushy management job, or start a small tree service, doing small jobs tell I kill over one day. Do I see my self climbing at 60? Yeap!
Safe staying on the ground beats the hell out of hitting the ground. Sounds like a good future you have set up I wouldn't push the risk anymore. It's way too easy to make one mistake or have a tree make a mistake for you. I messed up and I'll be messed up for the rest of my life. An old friend who is a Timber man was dropping a tree in the forest it went perfectly except thanks to some Vines and look it shook the canopy and dropped a widow-maker hanger on to him, dead. Another good friend was taking down a walnut for the timber. Big old thing, he forgot to punch it with the saw at the bottom just to make sure it wasn't Hollow. It was, it's split and spun on him, dead. I quit climbing when that happened to both of them in a month span. But you know the money in the thrill I went back to it. Falling is a thrill. Hitting the ground sucks! LOL

I stopped climbing 32 years ago at 27 years old when I figured out I could make more money hiring somebody else to do it.

I stopped climbing @ 5 years ago. I retired also.
I started climbing @ 1976 in NORCAL. 44 years.
I worked out 6-7 days a week. To stay in shape and relax. Running too.
I never experienced any serious accident, though I certainly saw a few.
My Body stated to "Break down" when I turned 50. I am 61 now.
My first Surgery was a "Birmingham Hip Resurfacing"- Left hip. (that type of procedure is no longer preformed) After 2 years it failed. I then had a Total Left Hip replacement.
After that, I had two right shoulder and one left shoulder surgeries. Two right knee and one left knee surgeries. One right forearm surgery.
A total right knee, and right hip replacement is pending. Due to CV19 those surgeries have been put on hold indefinitely.
Besides climbing, I believe Running did damage to my joints.

Wow, good to hear people are still climbing at 80. I got a late start, I was about 58 or so when I did a dumb thing. Free climbed a broken Mulberry tree. My wife was at the hardware store telling the owner what I was doing and an actual tree guy happened to over hear. She bought me a leather harness. I opened the package and read all the warnings. That really opened my eyes. Then went on this website and read about fatalities. Bought the Tree Climbers Handbook, went to Sherrill Tree and bought decent equipment. In two weeks I had three paying jobs. I am an old US Marine, we typically don't understand NO. Later I met a tree guy who was kind enough to watch me work and criticize my technique, DRT. Now I cannot say I climbed every day for a living as you guys, but God I love the work. This last Saturday 26Sept20 I disassembled a dead Water Maple that was at least 36 inches dia. at the base. So old fools really do not know when to stop. I am 81 with no health issues. Never stop moving!

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_150006513_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200919_150006513_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200919_152158725_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200919_152158725_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
Heres my take on it... listen to your body. If your elbows, shoulders, knees get sore then rest them. Go slower and be more deliberate. The reason your body wears out is because it gets worn down and you dont rest it. Get equipment to make your job easier. Heres the best advice you will never hear though, exercise. Even though our job keeps us strong its also stress. Exercise that you do for self improvement will regenerate your dna cells and help you stay young. Its not about how much you work your body but why you are doing it. Dont be over weight. Most and i mean 75% of men are freaking fat. Society doesn't want you to say that but the usa is gross. Women are fat, men are fat, kids are fat. Every single health problem can be linked to being fat, eating trash and not exercising. The body ages but those guys that cant do anything without moaning are likely overweight, drink, smoke, eat like crap and don't exercise. Pay attention to stuff. If you are running a big saw in a place close to your face, take a deep breath and hold it while you are on the gas. Hold it when you use your top handle. And if you cant do that, get in better shape. Lung diseases are a death sentence. You get the picture. Its not about how much you get done in a day but how valuable you are. A dr gets $1000 for that 5 minute visit because of what he brings to the table. Be that. Not the walmart tree service that has to cut 50 trees a day. Same money, different life expectancies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how old and how long have you been climbing. My greatest question is if you've been doing this over 20 years how do you feel when you wake up, and are you knees and hips still ok... I understand if a guy does not take care of his body it will brake down but I'm late 20's and just started climbing and I'm honestly wondering.
Wow this thread still going. I replied to it when I was 54. I’m 62 now, I’m lead climber for a small company in No. Calif. I climb5 to 6 days a week. Though I’m really tired sometimes after a big removal , I have less problems then climbers a 1/3 my age. I had to get a 461 because a 661 is getting to heavy for me in the tree. And I leave the heavy lifting to those young guys.
With over 40 years of non stop climbing I feel good. A lot has to do with genetics I think. I’m sure SRT has helped also. I have no thoughts about stopping and only feel old when I look in the Mirror.

Attachments

• 0B3245AD-9148-4954-BAF8-72A11A201FA0.jpeg
    0B3245AD-9148-4954-BAF8-72A11A201FA0.jpeg
    602.5 KB · Views: 13
Wow this thread still going. I replied to it when I was 54. I’m 62 now, I’m lead climber for a small company in No. Calif. I climb5 to 6 days a week. Though I’m really tired sometimes after a big removal , I have less problems then climbers a 1/3 my age. I had to get a 461 because a 661 is getting to heavy for me in the tree. And I leave the heavy lifting to those young guys.
With over 40 years of non stop climbing I feel good. A lot has to do with genetics I think. I’m sure SRT has helped also. I have no thoughts about stopping and only feel old when I look in the Mirror.
That is why you are the 'Beastmaster'!,, :cheers:

We have 20-40 year truck drivers at my day job with as many ailments as some of the 40 year climbers on here. Hard work never hurt anyone. I’ve done firewood and picked up stuff I shouldn’t my whole life. None of my Injury’s are from it. All from football and ATV wrecks. Maybe the hearing loss, but who really wants to hear anyway.

Once you pass through the '40' gate, you are on borrowed time.
Early 20's I was a rock climbing instructor, and immortal.
30's Married with my own business doing grounds and Trees.
After passing 40 the aches and pains started, energy diminished, weight increased.
42 started breaking bones instead of bouncing.
by 45 the tally was 2x broken elbows, shattered ankle, re-attached left thumb, 3x lots of broken ribs (8 all up) collapsed lung, full set of 3x hernias, and a monthly appointment at the chiropractor to deal with the spinal damage.
Got a 35yo fireman who was training to join the police force (super fit) to help me with 2x big eucalypts one day. Needed to come back the following morning and finish the job and he couldn't even walk he was in so much pain. Figured maybe I wasn't being such a big baby by feeling so hammered every day.
So from 45 on I backed off and became fussy about what jobs I took.
Sold the business at 55 after surviving pnumonia x3 rounds.

Latest posts

Back