Line skidding video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the FALLING :bowdown: video, that kid looked too skinny to be driving in wedges, but appearances are deceiving. He thwacked them good. :clap:
Most any kid that is working is skinny at that age. I couldn't get to the "recommended" weight for my height range until I was 25. 15 years later, I had the same issue, from the other side, though. I suspect being a good thwacker is more desire than meatiness.

Most any kid that is working is skinny at that age. I couldn't get to the "recommended" weight for my height range until I was 25. 15 years later, I had the same issue, from the other side, though. I suspect being a good thwacker is more desire than meatiness.

Yup, aim is important when driving wedges. I had that pointed out to me. Repeatedly. Loudly too. I started packing and wedging for my Uncle. He was an old growth Redwood faller who'd been hurt. He could still run saw but he couldn't pack or drive wedges very well. When I first started working he called me "lightning"...'cause I never hit twice in the same place. I got better eventually but it took a while.

When I first started working he called me "lightning"...'cause I never hit twice in the same place. I got better eventually but it took a while.

Hey, I resembled that! When I worked on the construction survey crew, I got really good at replacing sledge hammer handles. When you replace several in a day, you have to be fast. More than once I replaced 3 during my 30 minute lunch.

Here is the ancient Tillman yarder working. It's working life there was brief, but it sat out in the woods all winter--waiting for a ride home. A new crew moved in and had the unit done in a week with their little tiny cute Thunderbird yarder.

Here's a part 1 &2 of a guyline stump rigging video. It was before I had a camera that did sound. They were rigging up a Madill O71.
First the tree has to come down so it won't be pulled over onto the landing and smash stuff and people should it fail.

Then the stump has to be notched so the rigging won't slide off.

Back