Loaning dem tools out, specially the splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^ A-yup!^^^^ +1
There is the liability issue. I like the idea of putting someone to work for their 'use' of something, generally my friends are welcome to use my tools other than my saws, but its definately 'you break you fix/replace' and only one chance, I do not have a problem saying no if its something I value highly or I feel might get someone hurt.

:cheers:

Serge

If you are uncomfortable with the loan of an item, don't do it. It's that simple really.

That said, I've loaned to "select" people and have borrowed from same. But I'm the type that returns thing clean, fueled, and on a timely basis.

Honestly though, in this day and age of BS litigation, I might think twice about something dangerous. (Sorry, I don't have insurence for you to operate it.) Happy to help you out though, I'll split, you stack:clap:

in this day and age of BS litigation, I might think twice about something dangerous. (Sorry, I don't have insurence for you to operate it.) Happy to help you out though, I'll split, you stack:clap:

Well, the liability issue is one that I never thought of, but considering how many times I have had a chunk splinter in my face, a nasty fork kick out sideways, etc, then that is something to really consider. I like that "Sorry I dont have insurance for you to operate" statement, i think that is a good way of saying "no way"
That being said, I surely dont mind telling him to pile up his wood, and i will come on over some saturday and give him a hand with a splitter, me running and him packing of course:)

I don't believe that I've ever loaned out a tool that I didn't regret it later. Seems they always come back damaged or the worse for wear. Many time people that do not have a particular tool or piece of equipment, etc. also have no idea how to properly care for whatever it is they have borrowed.

I would rather help them and use whatever it is myself than loan out something that never works as well again. I loaned a little transit I had to a relative. They let it get wet and put it up wet! It was a goner. Stuff ain't cheap! Let em' rent it!

Last edited:
I've got a VERY short list of those worthy of getting a tool of mine, loaned to them.

1) My father-in-law

2) My brother-in-law

Both of the above take exceptional care of their belongings, and would do the same with anything of mine.

3 & 4) My two best friends.... Kevin and Brian.

They take good care of their things, and at least have the financial ability to repair, have repaired, or replace anything of mine they might break.

5) PA Plumber

He's given me the most rep outta anyone here, and....... well, i feel i owe him one!

There is probably a reason that he can't seem to get his own equipment...

Bingo. He sounds like a professional borrower, he has no need to buy or maintain his own stuff. Don't enable him.

Since he doesn't appear to have a job, maybe you could give him one splitting your wood. His payment could be the use of the splitter to do his wood.

There are three things in life you under no circumstances do you loan out. #1 your chainsaw, #2 log splitter, #3old lady. now the old lady is negotiable. Ouch I got caught writting this. OOh Ah the pain...

Haha, you funny! I bet that you said that just so that she would, um, abuse you...

No suprise that things go wrong....

A friend wanted to use my splitter. I agreed and he was to bring his wood over to my house, use the splitter and take his wood. I was not home and he started in. All was going OK until it ran out of fuel. He then grabbed a fuel can and filled it up. He did no notice that it was DIESEL fuel. Then it would not start so he figures that the plug must be bad. Upon removing and replacing the sparkplug, the cylinder head gets stripped. Now he is going to repair the threads. He gets the kit and pulls the head. I take over from there. Of course I had to chase down a head gasket, on and on.

Bob

ya.. I loaned out a full size Case backhoe once to a good friend... flat forgot about it. a few years later I try to get it back. he had loaded backhoe to a friend of his.

anyways.. he did a few repairs on backhoe and thought it now belonged to him :cry:

lost a good friend over this... if you do loan a large piece of equipment DON'T forget about it.... good friends are much harder to come by than a backhoe...
me would nave been in war over this---and-----he wasnt much of a friend---

I once loaned my favorite splitting maul to one of my best friends after I had a few..I couldn't find it for a couple years and it drove me nuts, nothing split like that maul did..

well, guess what.. I found it in his garage one day while I was visiting..he swore up and down I had "given it" to him. I know that was BS because I would NEVER have "given" that maul to anyone. And the kicker was, he wasn't even burning wood anymore, I asked that seeing as he didn't burn wood anymore if I could "have" MY maul back and he said......

ready for this...??.....

NO.

yup, no. \\\\\\\there would have been a shot to the mouth instantly--thief---\\\\\\

I do not owe anyone an explanation, it is my stuff and they have the nerve to ask, I have the nerve to say, NO. It is YOUR equipment, and you have every right to say no when asked.

Call me hard, call me what you want, answer is still no.[/QUOTE] \\\\\ damn straight!!!!!\\\\\\

and another. bro asked to borrow chainsaw. let him. gave him fuel, and wrenches. he came back 6 hrs later!!!!!!???? asked where in hell you been?? he said his fil. this guy i cant stand, and my bro knew it!!!! chain was butter dull,loose as goose, and bar blued!!!!!!!!! asked him wtf he thought he was doing. he looked at me dumb, we were sitting on my front porch, and i was getting louder. neighbors heard. i then told him i cant stand your f@#$%#$ fil. hes got enough money to buy ten chainsaws, and you asked to use mine????? dont ever ask again--so without me knowing--i was at work, he asked the ex ole lady if could borrow my cement tools--he never brought them back, and said didnt know where they were!!!!!!!!!!!!! guess how much love i have for that college educated fool?????????? right!!!!!!!!!!

Ya so whats your point? its a free country, if he wants to ask a question let him ask it with out giving him a bunch of sheet

Wow. Walk away for a day and get flamed. I was merely pointing out that the OP seemed that in asking the question that he didn't want to loan out the splitter and was asking confirmation from members. I was pointing out that if he was questioning the loaning of (insert whatever) and had a gut feeling that it was a bad idea, then he shouldn't question his feelings and go for the gut. Hence if (you) have any question, then there is no question. Other words, no. Been there, done that. Loaned mine one time. Explained short tongue length means lower tailgate and back or remove and move by hand. Stupid backed into the tongue backing and continued to back dragging the splitter and bent the frame. I fixed and have had nothing to do with him since.

Next time just wait in the truck and let the men folk talk.:monkey:

the 5 things I will not borrow out
My Trailer, every time it returns it has a fender ripped off, even the new ones made out of 3/8" plate steel..." sorry man I never even felt it" bull####:jawdrop:

My Tractor, shes a finicky old ##### and dont like to be ran too hard but slow and steady and she will go until it runs out of fuel

My Dumptruck, "hey man that turbo is making a funny noise":dizzy: (ran low on oil and fried the turbo $1000)

My Small Splitter, main reason is that it has a auto cycle valve, if it didnt I wouldnt care anyways because it is made out of scrap metal and I have less then $150 in it

My Dog, well thats self explanitory:)

The few always ruin it for the many.

When someone needs to borrow something, I always go with it. If I don't want to lend my free time to a specific person, they can do without my tools. My wife's uncle borrowed my splitter 3 years ago and hit the hydraulic fluid reservoir on a stump subsequently cracking it and he and some friends split 6 cords of oak in 2 days, running it too hot and burning the **** out of the fluid and pump. After replacing the pump, valves, and having the reservoir welded it cost me $250.00. Never again does a tool of mine leave my home without my supervision. One person will always ruin something good for the many. Oh yeah, this "great relative" of my wife, had the guts to say "they sure don't make things the way they used to". I respectfully do not speak to him anymore.

I let certain members of my family, a few close friends and a good neighbor borrow anything that I have, including saws, splitter, power tools, guns, tractor, whatever. I just feel better doing it than saying no.

No is not a problem if the reason is understood.

Without intending to sound arrogant.

I am in the unfortunate position to have quite an extensive range of usefull things, mainly powered by my inpector-gadget nature.

My surroundings and family are in the unfortunate position not to have a range of usefull things.

So as you guess,... i used to be their tool shed, renting service, supplier whatever comes up in their head.

The only way to protect my investment (that is in the end what it is) and not creating a lose - win situation is to say :

if you need something i come with the tool and i also operate it.

As i am a-the faster the better- type some already learned that it is sometimes just a lot easier to not ask:) :) :)

I do have a full prof life which allows me to say i dont have time. People understand and appreciate that better than a no you can not use my tool.

Just to be clear, i am not using my job as an excuse not to borrow them a tool.

It is just very clear for them:
1. 'i' comes with the tool. no borrowing, no using
2. 'i' does want to sit on his a$$ in his place after a 80h week and does not have time to come. if 'I' has time than he will do it.

It makes for a good understanding so far and it also gives me win-win when i need a hand from them.

(and it always gives me the fun part of the jobs)

2cents

Latest posts

Back