log cabin project,from stump to finished cabin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the logs squared on 3 sides with a band saw mill.Then they were sticker-piled and air dried.

Thanks for the compliments,It's been a fun project.Just my Dad and I built it.We worked every weekend and some evenings during the week
after my regular job.It took about six weeks from starting the post foundation to finishing the roof.This weekend I plan on installing the chimney.
It's going to be my get-away place,have cookouts,ride atv's,snowmobiles,hunting season,etc.There's no electricity or running water,just an old fashioned
building.

copied from the other thread.....

Pretty sweet! Did you sand down the logs after it was built? How are the posts attached to the beams?

copied from the other thread.....

Pretty sweet! Did you sand down the logs after it was built? How are the posts attached to the beams?

No, the logs were peeled by hand then air dried.After the walls were built,the whole building was pressure washed with bleach water.
After drying for a week,we then applied the stain and caulked the seams.Right now the building is just resting on the posts,it's not attached.
I'm going to use some angle iron and lag bolts to secure the beams to the posts.
Here's a close up of the log walls.View attachment 200133

Last edited:
No, the logs were peeled by hand then air dried.After the walls were built,the whole building was pressure washed with bleach water.
After drying for a week,we then applied the stain and caulked the seams.Right now the building is just resting on the posts,it's not attached.
I'm going to use some angle iron and lag bolts to secure the beams to the posts.
Here's a close up of the log walls.View attachment 200133

Looks great. What did you use for caulking the seams?

a very impressive use of the cedrus, any recent finished pics to post? thats totally awesome!!!(DC style)

I'll get some more pics this weekend.I'll be finishing the chimney and installing a stove.I picked up an old Monarch wood/propane combination cook stove that I'll be using to heat the building.

Lovely a very nice get away from it all place; looking forward to seeing the next pics, thanks for sharing.

Oneday

Latest posts

Back